Author Topic: Blagojevich Sentenced to 14 Years  (Read 3557 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Blagojevich Sentenced to 14 Years
« on: December 07, 2011, 02:27:27 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/judgment-day-blagojevich-sentencing-161754110.html

A federal judge today sentenced impeached Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich to 14 years in prison, giving little weight to Blagojevich's first-ever apology this morning since his arrest three years ago.

"The jury didn't believe you and neither did I," U.S. District Court Judge James Zagel said.

Holy Moses - I did not think that anyone would have the backbone to give him serious prison time.
I guess that I was wrong.
I read somewhere that there is still an investigation taking place on Jesse Jackson, Jr.
Chicago politics are getting very interesting!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Blagojevich Sentenced to 14 Years
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 02:30:11 PM »
Be surprised if he completes 5 years.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 03:24:38 PM »
yup   quiet sentence reconsideration in about 6 months or a year
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 03:56:22 PM »
I'm also surprised he didn't cut some deal to sell Obama down the river.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 04:01:19 PM »

He'll be pardoned in Jan 2013 if Obama loses.  Heck, or if Obama wins.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 04:07:35 PM »
He can get a Presidential pardon when BHO is done.....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 04:37:14 PM »
He'll be pardoned in Jan 2013 if Obama loses.  Heck, or if Obama wins.
Why not right after the Nov. 2012 election, regardless of outcome?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 04:45:26 PM »
Why not right after the Nov. 2012 election, regardless of outcome?

POTUS is too prominent in the nooz cycle at that time.

January.

That's when we get distracted by Dancing With the Politicians, and the "pageantry" of the Oath of Office, blah blah blah.  As well as the plans of the new POTUS (and the "Office of the President-Elect" :lol:) and his cabinet-wrangling with Congress.

It'll fall under the radar of most headlines, except a minor footnote on Drudge, some notice by InfoWars/PrisonPlanet/FreeRepublic, and Limbaugh sidebar snark.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 06:14:06 PM »
Perhaps the incoming Paul government can ship him off to Australia.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 06:27:13 PM »
Perhaps the incoming Paul government can ship him off to Australia.

What did the Aussies ever do to us  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 06:48:02 PM »

I'm not sure why, but my first thought was that Obama's DOJ made sure he got a hefty sentence.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 06:50:53 PM »

Chris

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 11:16:47 PM »

Chris

Yep....that'd be reason enough.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 09:45:29 AM »
but he put the bubbles in beer!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 10:19:23 AM »
I was listening to Hannity for a few minutes yesterday, and a couple of his guests were commenting on Blagojevich's sentence. One postulated that Blago's mistake was to keep the money for himself. In Chicago, you share the graft with other pol's and union bosses. The guest compared it to the mob's saying about a guy that "he's a good earner". That keeps you in good stead.

Take the money and don't share, and they toss you to the sharks.

It makes sense.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 11:18:29 AM »
Only one thing matters in this case: he has to keep his mouth shut about what goes on and has gone on in Chicago.  He knows the rules.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 10:53:50 PM »

Preemptive strike...

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 01:21:23 AM »
So why the hell does he get 90 days to report to prison? Joe Average would just get cuffed and hauled away.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 01:58:35 AM »
So why the hell does he get 90 days to report to prison? Joe Average would just get cuffed and hauled away.

Too famous to run and hide, and not a violent offender? Just guessing here.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 02:59:24 AM »
Shouldn't we just automatically jail anyone who gets elected governor of Illinois? Seems like we can save a whole lot of overhead that way and still see justice done...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 09:58:18 AM »
Shouldn't we just automatically jail anyone who gets elected governor of Illinois?

IIRC, four out of the last seven IL governors have gone to jail for corruption. Yours is not a bad idea.

Of course, that would change the elections. The candidates would probably be gang members who want to go to prison so they can get at an enemy who's already in prison.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 10:04:46 AM »

Too famous to run and hide, and not a violent offender? Just guessing here.

That....and it gives the Chicago Machine time to "clean up" its mess.... [tinfoil]
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.