Author Topic: Looks like the CMP is now in the leftists sights.  (Read 1988 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Looks like the CMP is now in the leftists sights.
« on: September 09, 2018, 09:07:18 AM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-09-04/this-group-teaches-kids-to-love-guns-and-taxpayers-foot-bill?utm_campaign=pol&utm_medium=bd&utm_source=applenews

Real winner of an article. Looks like they are trying to get the CMP exposure in order to shut it down.

The Defense Department has also expressed concerns. Eric Fanning, who served as Army secretary under President Barack Obama, says the Army wanted to find additional M1 rifles for CMP to sell, rather than turning over the old pistols. “We were concerned that there were no controls for handguns that ultimately would be traced back to the Army,” says Fanning, who now heads the Aerospace Industries Association. “We believed the risks were too high.”

Maybe the government should of been more worried about certain other firearms being traced back to the government...
For some strange reason I find it highly unlikely that CMP 1911's are going to be turning up in criminal hands.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Looks like the CMP is now in the leftists sights.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 09:34:23 AM »
That is an infuriating article. From the headline to every skewed talking point. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not that I would expect anything else out of a Bloomberg publication. Also, to Freak's point- has there ever been a criminal incident with a firearm (that was not stolen or similar) acquired through the CMP? I can't imagine a criminal jumping through the paperwork hoops.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 10:19:27 AM »
No doubt that some military weapons will be used in crime.  But I don't really see any liability involved there.  I also don't agree with the nanny state approach.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 11:20:48 AM »
How are they going to be traced back to the Army? By definition, the CMP only sells genuine [former] military firearms, so all the 1911s were once military property. But the military has records. I'm sure the serial numbers are being logged out to the CMP when the guns are sold, and I know the CMP keeps records of where the guns they sell go. In the case of the CMP 1911s, due to the particular language in the authorizing legislation, every buyer has to go through not one but TWO background checks -- one by the CMP before shipment, and again by the receiving FFL at the point of transfer to the buyer. The CMP will not ship 1911s directly to purchasers, even if the purchaser has a C&R FFL.

I fail to see a problem.

[Edit to add] When I saw the title of this thread in the forum index, I wondered why the Canadian Mounted Police would be a concern for leftists.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 11:44:42 AM »
[Edit to add] When I saw the title of this thread in the forum index, I wondered why the Canadian Mounted Police would be a concern for leftists.
Jealousy. Mounties always get their man.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 12:05:00 PM »

Anyone on a gun forum whose first thought at seeing "CMP" is "Canada" should pack their commie-pinko bags and move there. :P  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 12:20:03 PM »
And of course, no mention of the CMP Charter.

The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) is a national organization dedicated to training and educating U. S. citizens in responsible uses of firearms and airguns through gun safety training, marksmanship training and competitions. The CMP is a federally chartered 501(c)(3) corporation that places its highest priority on serving youth through gun safety and marksmanship activities that encourage personal growth and build life skills. Links on this page will lead you to more detailed information about the CMP and its programs.
Statutory mission. The federal law enacted in 1996 (Title 36 U. S. Code, 40701-40733) that created the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and Firearms Safety, Inc. (CPRPFS, the formal legal name of the CMP) mandates these key “functions for the corporation:

To instruct citizens of the United States in marksmanship;
To promote practice and safety in the use of firearms;
To conduct competitions in the use of firearms and to award trophies, prizes, badges, and other insignia to competitors.
The law specifically states: In carrying out the Civilian Marksmanship Program, the corporation shall give priority to activities that benefit firearms safety, training, and competition for youth and that reach as many youth participants as possible.

http://thecmp.org/about/

edit: that post went sideways

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 03:26:46 PM »
I like how puzzled they pretend to be, that an organization teaching marksmanship would have any involvement with kids. Their next article should be on Planned Parenthood.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 08:07:25 PM »
Anyone on a gun forum whose first thought at seeing "CMP" is "Canada" should pack their commie-pinko bags and move there. :P  =D

Is this a gun forum today?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 08:17:10 PM »
It costs about 61 cents per year to store each disused pistol, according to an Army spokesperson. The government could save on the storage costs by selling the weapons to the highest bidder—and sending the money to the U.S. Treasury.
And how much would it cost the government to conduct an auction of 18,000 1911s, take care of all the background checks on the buyers, ship the guns, and do all the related paperwork necessary to conduct the process?

I think it took the CMP staff a full year (or more) to inventory and assess the first 10,000 pistol consignment they received. And they were already set up to do that. How much would it have cost for the Army to set up a procedure and staffing to do the same thing?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 10:21:22 PM »
Yes, because ol' Dinit Do'Nuffin is going to drop 8 to 10 bills on a 1911 when he can get a Gat for 1-2 bills or maybe 3 bills if he wants something newer.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 11:26:23 PM »
Yes, because ol' Dinit Do'Nuffin is going to drop 8 to 10 bills on a 1911 when he can get a Gat for 1-2 bills or maybe 3 bills if he wants something newer.

From a sense of national pride, and his own appreciation for firearms history, he shall opt for the higher initial cost, less capacious clip (he's a criminal, so of course it's a clip), and pricier ammo.

No, I'm sure the anti-gun folk would claim they were worried about the guns being stolen from their private owners. A silly objection, but what else have they got?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 09:40:07 AM »
Guns have never been stolen from the military before I guess. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 09:50:18 AM »

It's a very good point, and the article even mentions the current average price for a rifle or pistol. Yet they twist that from more money than a criminal would (have to) spend to acquire a firearm to, "look at the profit these evil guns bring in!"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 09:51:03 AM »
Guns have never been stolen from the military before I guess. 

Nothing is ever stolen from the military. However, various bits of kit are sometimes "lost."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 10:29:11 AM »
Nothing is ever stolen from the military. However, various bits of kit are sometimes "lost."

Would be a shame if anyone stole from your nice little military base, idn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZKUozrBl4

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 02:30:37 PM »
Guns have never 3been stolen from the military before I guess. 

I seem to recall Clyde Barrow stealing some B. A. R.s from a National Guard Armory.   

I'm sure Diane Feinstein would not have approved .....  [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 05:33:48 PM »
It's a very good point, and the article even mentions the current average price for a rifle or pistol. Yet they twist that from more money than a criminal would (have to) spend to acquire a firearm to, "look at the profit these evil guns bring in!"

Vox tells me that ol' Dinit DeauNuffin is spending all his extra coin on Nike shoes because Kapernick.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 09:12:39 PM »

If I recall correctly, the federal legislation authorizing the CMP requires that they sell the firearms at fair market value.

Lemme see here:

U.S. Code › Title 36 › Subtitle II › Part B › Chapter 407 › Subchapter I ›

36 U.S. Code § 40704 - Restrictions

(a)Profit.—
The corporation may not operate for profit.

(b)Use of Amounts Collected.—
Amounts collected under section 40703(3) and (5) of this title, including proceeds from the sale of firearms, ammunition, repair parts, and other supplies, may be used only to support the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

36 U.S. Code § 40705 - Duty to maintain tax-exempt status

The corporation shall be operated in a manner and for purposes that qualify the corporation for exemption from taxation under section 501(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (26 U.S.C. 501(a)) as an organization described in section 501(c)(3) of that Code (26 U.S.C. 501(c)(3)).

U.S. Code › Title 36 › Subtitle II › Part B › Chapter 407 › Subchapter II ›

36 U.S. Code § 40732 - Sale of firearms and supplies

(a)Affiliated Organizations.—
The corporation may sell, at fair market value, surplus caliber .22 rimfire rifles, caliber .30 surplus rifles, and caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 surplus pistols, air rifles, caliber .22 and .30 ammunition, repair parts, and other supplies to organizations affiliated with the corporation that provide training in the use of firearms.

(b)Gun Club Members.—
(1) The corporation may sell, at fair market value, surplus caliber .22 rimfire rifles, caliber .30 surplus rifles, and caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 surplus pistols, ammunition, repair parts and other supplies necessary for target practice to a citizen of the United States who is legally of age and who is a member of a gun club affiliated with the corporation.
(2) Except as provided in section 40733 of this title, sales under this subsection are subject to applicable United States, State, and local law. In addition to any other requirement, the corporation shall establish procedures to obtain a criminal records check of the individual with United States Government and State law enforcement agencies.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2018, 09:45:39 PM »
If I recall correctly, the federal legislation authorizing the CMP requires that they sell the firearms at fair market value.

The Garand I got from them was cheaper than market value - at least gun show value. My point was that a criminal is highly unlikely to jump through all the CMP paperwork hoops AND pay a grand for a 1911 when they can get a High Point for a couple hundred.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2018, 10:48:46 PM »
It was my understanding that Glock had won the "gangmember" demographic anyway.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2018, 12:32:17 AM »
Which pistol shoots best sideways?

Like my question this story is bs.

You need to be a member of something to even get a chance to get two background checks done on you. How many gang members are I. The right group?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG