Author Topic: Burn the Flag, Get 15 years in Prison.  (Read 1342 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Burn the Flag, Get 15 years in Prison.
« on: December 20, 2019, 09:04:28 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/iowa-lgbtq-flag-fire-church-prison

If it's an LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ Flag.

Gee, I thought flag burning was an act of free speech....
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Burn the Flag, Get 15 years in Prison.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 09:08:16 AM »
Unless there's a lot more to this story, that's a ridiculous sentence, especially having observed the degradation the US flag has been dragged through.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 09:10:56 AM »
This is why "hate crimes" are bullshit.  It's not worse because he holds unpopular views.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 09:16:38 AM »
Let's compare the results of this trial ↑, done against no specific person to the results of this arrest ↓:

https://kjzz.com/news/local/exclusive-wwii-veterans-flag-barbecued-by-angry-ex-boyfriend-wyoming-family-says

Man stole his ex-wife (ex-girlfriend's?) flag from her father's coffin and burned it. Videoing it in order to taunt them.

I'm going to be he gets a LOT less than 15 years.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 09:30:18 AM »
The guy stole something of minor value, possibly made threats, and set the flag on fire outside an occupied business.  Definitely worthy of criminal penalties, but 16 years seems excessive.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 09:31:31 AM »
People have gotten way less for murder
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 09:36:30 AM »
People have gotten way less for murder

Oh yes!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 09:38:41 AM »
I've got a far bigger problem with the theft of the property to be burned, than the burning of that object as a statement.

Buy your own rainbow flag if you want to burn it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 10:09:21 AM »
I've got a far bigger problem with the theft

And again, given the info provided, theft/property destruction should have been the punishment. What's the usual punishment (for what appears to be a first offense) for stealing a $20 item?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 10:13:06 AM »
And again, given the info provided, theft/property destruction should have been the punishment. What's the usual punishment (for what appears to be a first offense) for stealing a $20 item?

From the Des Moines Register (which I sadly clicked because I no longer wish to give them even that much revenue from a single click), the perpetrator here had a record (two previous felonies), so the number of years in prison were apparently tripled. A first time offender would have only gotten 6 years. Which also seems rather much.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 10:18:41 AM »
From the Des Moines Register (which I sadly clicked because I no longer wish to give them even that much revenue from a single click), the perpetrator here had a record (two previous felonies), so the number of years in prison were apparently tripled. A first time offender would have only gotten 6 years. Which also seems rather much.

Okay, in that case pokey time is possibly appropriate* because he's a knucklehead. But even then, 15 years is pretty outrageous.

* Wearing my IANAL hat, I would think a first offense would be restitution and probation or picking up trash for a few weekends or something. So I wonder, as a "hate crime" what the punishment would have been for someone with no previous criminal record? I agree with Dogmush that "hate crimes" are bullshit. My thought has always been, what about the 'non-protected" person who was hurt/assaulted/murdered? "Hate crime" penalties have always seemed to me to be an "FU" to them.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 10:24:00 AM »
This is why "hate crimes" are bullshit.  It's not worse because he holds unpopular views.

Because Hate Murder is far worst than Like Murder
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 11:38:03 AM »
Is arson even an appropriate charge in a case like this?  I thought that normally applied to structures. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 11:49:34 AM »
The burning of an LGBTQEIEIO flag should have ONLY been charged as petty theft (it wasn't his flag) and (perhaps) something related to careless setting of a fire. Even with a prior record, 15 years seems unconstitutionally excessive.

As a juror, I would NEVER convict someone of a "hate crime" - it's just too Orwellian for me. And it's not necessary. Consider the 1998 case of James Byrd, a black man murdered in Texas by being dragged behind a pickup. Texas caught the 3 people involved, charged them, tried them, and convicted them of murder.

One of the perps is in protective custody spending 23 hours a day in an 8' x 6' prison cell and won't get a parole hearing until 2038. (Unlikely a parole board will release him.) The other two have been executed. This was done WITHOUT any "hate crime" charges.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2019, 01:19:11 PM »
I can see grounds for considering it arson, and/or assault, if the flag was set fire to in a way that it could cause another structure to also burn (while being wary of prosecutorial manufacturing of mountains from molehills).  Also, if it was burned in effigy, perhaps draped as a cloak over a likeness of a particular person or stereotype of a type of people.

If text accompanied that said "all gays deserve burning" or similar while being done in front of a gay support group or deliberately gay function, I could see it being interpreted as assault even without arson.

Burning the flag alone, on a driveway or similar noncombustible surface, and without theft, it's just an act of speech.  To me at least.  It reads more as a strike against special interest politics, than an act of aggression.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2019, 02:00:41 PM »
I never thought I'd see the day where its a serious crime to burn a meme flag.
Theft, yes. Arson, maybe...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2019, 05:23:18 PM »
So those who display the rainbow flag are going all-out civil disobedience in defense of this non-conformist, right?

I'll just sit back and wait to hear about those Stonewall-style riots.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2019, 07:21:57 PM »
I can see grounds for considering it arson, and/or assault, if the flag was set fire to in a way that it could cause another structure to also burn (while being wary of prosecutorial manufacturing of mountains from molehills).  Also, if it was burned in effigy, perhaps draped as a cloak over a likeness of a particular person or stereotype of a type of people.

If text accompanied that said "all gays deserve burning" or similar while being done in front of a gay support group or deliberately gay function, I could see it being interpreted as assault even without arson.

Burning the flag alone, on a driveway or similar noncombustible surface, and without theft, it's just an act of speech.  To me at least.  It reads more as a strike against special interest politics, than an act of aggression.

Free speech grounds should be part of his appeal.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge