Author Topic: 4 Police Officers Shot in WA  (Read 23490 times)

Unisaw

• friend
4 Police Officers Shot in WA
« on: November 29, 2009, 01:21:39 PM »
Bad news just breaking:

Four police officers shot dead at coffee shop near Parkland

Last updated: November 29th, 2009 10:12 AM (PST)
The Pierce County Sheriff’s Department has reported that four police officers have been shot dead in an ambush at the Forza Coffee coffee shop at 11401 on South Steele Street near Parkland Sunday morning.

Pierce County Sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said investigators are immediately offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the suspect, and that number is expected to grow.

He could not say what agency the officers were from.

The officers were sitting in the coffee shop with their computers out when the shooter came in. The officers were targeted, and it was not a robbery, investigators believe.

"It was just a flat out ambush," Troyer said.

Pierce County deputies are working at the scene with Tacoma Police, Lakewood Police and the Washington State Patrol.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/breaking/story/973573.html

RIP, officers.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

eyebrows

• friend
Re: 4 Police Officers Shot in WA
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 01:40:59 PM »
investigators are immediately offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the suspect, and that number is expected to grow
??? so if I had information are they telling me to wait because I'll get more of a reward than if I tell them now?

Any idea what type of weapon was used?

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 02:00:45 PM »
Semi-auto pistol is what the TV reporter just suggested, but who knows how accurate that is.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 02:23:09 PM »
My wife, who lived in the Tacoma area for years, says that the Pierce County Sheriff's Office provides the Lakewood Police services under contract.  So these officers actually worked for the Pierce County Sheriff's Office.  She thinks this is still the case and Lakewood does not have its own free-standing police force.

SEATTLE -- Four Lakewood police officers were shot dead in a Pierce County coffee shop in what a sheriff's spokesman described as a "flat-out ambush" Sunday morning.

Pierce County Sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said the officers -- three men and a woman from the Lakewood Police Department -- were sitting in the coffee shop with their computers, getting ready to begin their shifts when the gunman came in at about 8: 30 a.m., fired on the officers and fled.

LIVE VIDEO: Live Coverage From KIRO 7

He said investigators believe the officers were targeted, and it was not a robbery.

"It was just a flat-out ambush," Troyer said.

The officers were in uniform, and their marked cars were parked in front of the shop.

"The four of them are known by everybody here," Troyer said. "We haven't got any information as to why this happened."

He said there's a $10,000 reward in the case.

He said the gunman is a black man in his 20s or 30s, who was wearing a black coat and blue jeans. He ran from the scene and was last seen on Steele Street.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 02:36:06 PM »
I lived in Tacoma from 92-94 and Lakewood was one of the areas (besides Tillicum and Hill Top) that wasn't the best to hang out at after dark. Prayers to the cops family. Hope they catch the guy.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 02:42:42 PM »
We are watching the live interviews with the Sheriff's PIO.  All four were in uniform and wearing vests.  The implication is that all the officers sustained head wounds.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 03:44:03 PM »
We are watching the live interviews with the Sheriff's PIO.  All four were in uniform and wearing vests.  The implication is that all the officers sustained head wounds.

Something tells me this wasn't exactly random.

Guy ambushes four cops in a coffee shop wearing vests while said cops were on their laptops, and puts them down with head shots quick enough that they couldn't return fire?   
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 03:58:58 PM »
Also, he must have been a fairly good shot to get all four that quickly.  Most gang bangers are spray and pray shooters, so I wonder if it wasn't an ex-cop or something with a grudge.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 04:04:26 PM »
Also, he must have been a fairly good shot to get all four that quickly.  Most gang bangers are spray and pray shooters, so I wonder if it wasn't an ex-cop or something with a grudge.

I hate to say this, but very few cops are proficient to that level with firearms. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

taurusowner

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 04:45:09 PM »
I hate to say this, but very few cops are proficient to that level with firearms. 

But most are better than your average gangbanger.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 04:50:30 PM »
I've read that in LA a lot of the gangs are sending their members into the .mil for training and experience. Apparently the tactics (planned ambushes etc) are being used against cops more frequently. I hope that wasn't the case here. RIP officers.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 04:54:13 PM »
This is just about the most bizarre cop killing I've heard of . . . one man ambushed four cops in a crowded restaurant, kills all four, doesn't hurt anyone else, and leaves?

Lots and lots of questions . . .

Gang initiation?

Terrorist act?

Ex-cop, angry at former colleagues?

Contract killing?

Someone pushed by cops, who decided to push back?

Stay tuned - there may well be a very major story brewing here . . .

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

taurusowner

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 04:55:56 PM »
Over at Fark, just about every member is more than willing to jump on the "the cops were corrupt/dirty and brought this on themselves" theory.  I'm leaning more towards a gang motive (not instigated by the officers).

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 06:36:32 PM »
This is just about the most bizarre cop killing I've heard of . . . one man ambushed four cops in a crowded restaurant, kills all four, doesn't hurt anyone else, and leaves?

Lots and lots of questions . . .

Gang initiation?

Terrorist act?

Ex-cop, angry at former colleagues?

Contract killing?

Someone pushed by cops, who decided to push back?

Stay tuned - there may well be a very major story brewing here . . .

my initial thinking was  terrorist of some kind , but this is very unusual, it could be he wanted to simply kill one or two but he couldn't leave any witnesses.

To bad there were no CCW's around to render assistance.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 07:10:20 PM »
One would initially think gang bangers or similar, but as pointed out, four officers in body armor all killed and none of them even had a chance to get a shot off or run for cover? Seems like, as discussed above, there may be more to this killer than meets the eye.

I wonder what the seating at the coffee shop was? Were the officers at a table, or all crammed into a booth?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 07:12:44 PM »
And over at coptalk on glock talk they are gearing up for war. "We are at war and nobody will realize it.". I don't know what to think about this one. Same as I scratch my head about the thanksgiving day killings. Was this a gang hit?  Could be. This department is a young dept, could this be revenge for some cops acting badly?  Sure. But we just don't know.  Those who did this need to be captured, fat chance, and questioned. Then let the system work.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 07:17:33 PM »
My wife was incorrect.  The Pierce County Sheriff no longer provides contract policing to Lakewood.  They started up their own department in 2004; most of the staff were lateral moves from other departments.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 07:19:52 PM »
A live feed from the PIO says that it is now believed that one of the slain officers was able to fight with the suspect and may have gotten some shots off.  It is hoped that the suspect is wounded.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 09:37:30 PM »
From the Seattle Times:  http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2010385617_webmansought29.html

Maurice Clemmons, the 37-year-old Tacoma man being sought for questioning in the killing of four Lakewood police officers this morning, has a long criminal record punctuated by violence, erratic behavior and concerns about his mental health.

Nine years ago, then-Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee granted clemency to Clemmons, commuting his lengthy prison sentence over the protests of prosecutors......

I am sure this conservative Republican Governor will be facing some questions in the upcoming days.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2009, 10:08:53 PM »
I know this is a serious event & thread, but this bit in the article was too much. FWIW, Clemmons told people that he was Jesus - which makes this line even funnier. Barack Obama is apparently in charge of determining divinity.
Deputies also interviewed other family members. They reported that Clemmons had been saying he could fly and that he expected President Obama to visit to "confirm that he is Messiah in the flesh."

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 10:17:30 PM »
Nine years ago, then-Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee granted clemency to Clemmons, commuting his lengthy prison sentence over the protests of prosecutors......
Mr. Clemmons may or may not be the perp.  IF he is responsible the the good ex-governor deserves everything that will descend upon him. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 04:11:29 AM by Waitone »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 12:55:52 AM »
Since we are blaming Huckabee, lets blame Washington State, and a bail bondsman as well

Clemmons has an extensive violent criminal history from Arkansas, including aggravated robbery and theft, the sheriff's office said. He also recently was arrested and charged in Washington state for assaulting a police officer, and second-degree rape of a child. Using a bail bondsman, he posted $150,000 and was released from jail last week.

From this latest update
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,577691,00.html

I am not taking up for Huckabee, but lets get real here.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 01:24:37 AM »
When Clemmons received the 60-year sentence, he was already serving 48 years on five felony convictions and facing up to 95 more years on charges of robbery, theft of property and possessing a handgun on school property. Records from Clemmons' sentencing described him as 5-foot-7 and 108 pounds. The crimes were committed when he was 17.

Clemmons served 11 years before being released.

So instead of 203 years, he did 11.  Wow.  Good job, review board and Huckabee.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 01:45:45 AM »
So instead of 203 years, he did 11.  Wow.  Good job, review board and Huckabee.

Aw, come on. He was just a poor, misunderstood youth who was in the process of turning his life around.

[Cue chorus]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 02:02:50 AM »
Aw, come on. He was just a poor, misunderstood youth who was in the process of turning his life around.

[Cue chorus]

Yea, I know, Hawkmoon.  Lots of folks are stupid enough to believe that BS.

I can get the fact that he's likely nuts.  But you can't say a person is nuts, so they shouldn't face any consequences for their actions.  If a person commits a violent crime, they should go to jail or the nut house if applicable.  After they're mentally fixed (if possible), then they can serve their sentence.  Actions have consequences.

The guy committed a minimum of 13 felonies before shooting four cops.  Folks with THAT many violent crimes on their record need to be kept away from humans.  They are dangerous and cannot be trusted.