Author Topic: 787 First Flight  (Read 5630 times)

Unisaw

• friend
787 First Flight
« on: December 15, 2009, 01:24:16 PM »
I'm watching live on TV as a Boeing 787 taxis out for its first flight.  Let's keep our fingers crossed -- this is a huge deal for the Puget Sound area.

There is something strung on a cable from the top rear of the rudder.  I'm guessing this is some type of supplemental test instrumentation.  If anyone knows, please let us know.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: 787 First Flight
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 03:08:31 PM »
There is something strung on a cable from the top rear of the rudder.  I'm guessing this is some type of supplemental test instrumentation.  If anyone knows, please let us know.

Extension cord, the APU design hasn't been finalized just yet.
I promise not to duck.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 03:16:41 PM »
I'm just wondering how long it'll be before they start calling all the contractors in the Puget Sound to come back and fix all the problems on the thing.
Formerly sumpnz

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 04:00:31 PM »
I'm just wondering how long it'll be before they start calling all the contractors in the Puget Sound to come back and fix all the problems on the thing.

That would be nice.  Maybe I can go back to work, then?  =D

Not so nice, though - if the problem leads to a smoking hole in the ground  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 04:35:02 PM »

Comments like that *REALLY* need a beverage warning.  Thankfully, I'd just swallowed prior to reading it. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 08:39:20 PM »

I don't even know what "APU" stands for, but it got a laugh out of me.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 08:43:37 PM »
"APU" is the acronym for All Push Up.   >:D

Video of the takeoff and landing can be seen here.  What really impressed me is that Boeing still uses a couple of T-33's as chase planes.  They are visible in two of the videos.
I know they had an F-86 some years back.  I wonder if that one is still around.

eta:  Look at the upward flex in the wings.  Very impressive.  I wonder if that is a result of the composite construction, as there seems to be more flex as compared to mostly aluminum constructed aircraft.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:47:08 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 09:06:26 PM »
Carbon fiber has 3-4 times the stiffness of aluminum, so it's not simply becuase of the material change.  I know they did design it to have that large flex to wings.  Because of the higher stiffness of the material I think they did that in large part to smooth out the ride.  That and the curvature I think also helps to reduce drag, but I'm not positive on that one.
Formerly sumpnz

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 09:18:48 PM »

Yup.  Data drogue.  You saw it before trailing behind the prototype B-2 bomber, amongst other airframes.

That wing flex reminds me of the B-47. The wing sweep and very subtle shape of the winglets add to the effect, I'm sure.  =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 09:33:12 PM »
I'm watching live on TV as a Boeing 787 taxis out for its first flight.  Let's keep our fingers crossed -- this is a huge deal for the Puget Sound area.

My Dad was an aeronautical engineer at Boeing for 40 years.  If I remember correctly what he told me, it is an airspeed indicator that operates even with a complete loss of electrical power.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 09:37:49 PM »
I don't even know what "APU" stands for, but it got a laugh out of me.

APU= auxillery power unit. A smaller engine in an aircraft that is used to power the systems when the main engines are shut down, often also provides power to start the main engines. Also may serve as emergency power in an aircraft if one of the main engines goes offline.

Also found on other vehicles, including commercial trucks.

My Dad was an aeronautical engineer at Boeing for 40 years.  If I remember correctly what he told me, it is an airspeed indicator that operates even with a complete loss of electrical power.

IIRC, 787 is completely electric and uses fly by wire. If they completely lose electrical power, they are screwed.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 09:43:20 PM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 09:39:32 PM »
Avenger29, you took all the fun out of it.  I actually had him fooled for awhile, dontcha know.   :laugh:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 10:23:28 PM »
Okay. I give up. Why to the ends of the wings angle upward?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 10:26:56 PM »
Okay. I give up. Why to the ends of the wings angle upward?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wingtip_device

Wingtip devices are usually intended to improve the efficiency of fixed-wing aircraft.[1] There are several types of wingtip devices, and though they function in different manners, the intended effect is always to reduce the aircraft's drag by altering the airflow near the wingtips. Wingtip devices can also improve aircraft handling characteristics and enhance safety for following aircraft. Such devices increase the effective aspect ratio of a wing without materially increasing the wingspan. An extension of span would lower lift-induced drag, but would increase parasitic drag and would require boosting the strength

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 10:47:30 PM »
Works to improve efficiency. A shroud on a fan (radiator) has the same efficiency boosting effects. In flight, efficiency = less drag = better fuel economy, and faster speeds
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 12:34:22 AM »

That wing flex reminds me of the B-47. The wing sweep and very subtle shape of the winglets add to the effect, I'm sure.  =D

I'd figure you would know a bit about wing flex, being a former BUFF driver.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Jimmy Dean

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 02:28:45 AM »
Ex USAF maint guy here,  was showin the video to a buddy of mine here at college I was commenting on the amount of wingsweep, said it looked like a lot more than the BUFFs have  (he lived in Shreveport-Bossier, so he saw them flying all the time)

crt360

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 02:53:29 AM »
That was some wing flex.  :O  I thought it was going to start flapping like a bird.  =)
For entertainment purposes only.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 05:06:57 AM »
Yup.  Data drogue.
Kind of. Actually the cone on the end shields a static pressure transducer. It's the best place to measure true static pressure (which translates to pressure altitude) in order to calibrate the plane's pitot-static system and get true airspeed and altitude free of body dynamics. Ancient, but valid, flight testing technique.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 08:35:41 AM »
So what makes the 787 so much better than everything else?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 08:42:32 AM »
From an article in the Everett Herald this morning: http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20091216/NEWS01/712169860#Pilots.packed.a.lot.into.3.hours

But not everything went off without a hitch. Monroe-resident Dennis Eckert was listening to a scanner monitoring the Boeing radio frequency during the flight and reported that the pilots had to put an anti-icing system into manual mode at one point.

He added that early in the flight, radio conversations revealed Neville had to reset the circuit breakers after a cone didn’t automatically deploy behind the aircraft. Cones are generally used for monitoring airspeed, and can be deployed manually.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 08:51:03 AM »
So what makes the 787 so much better than everything else? 
Marketing.  ;)

Seriously, it's supposed to be 20% more fuel-efficient, have larger windows for the passengers to look out, and better cabin ventilation; not really a major leap forward (like Boeing's cancelled Sonic Cruiser, which was actually subsonic) but an aircraft targeted to the #1, big-time, all-important overwhelming priority of the airlines: reduced operating cost.

This aircraft design was driven by the Six Sigma manufacturing and design philosophy religion of Boeing's new CEO, which led them to do things like build a factory in Russia to make titanium forgings and outsource many of the components - as well as a good part of the design - to cheaper alternative manufacturers . . . hence the delays and rumored cost over-runs.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 09:10:35 AM »
So, by how much is the new plane expected to reduce operating costs?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 09:29:50 AM »

This aircraft design was driven by the Six Sigma manufacturing and design philosophy religion of Boeing's new CEO, which led them to do things like build a factory in Russia to make titanium forgings and outsource many of the components - as well as a good part of the design - to cheaper alternative manufacturers . . . hence the delays and rumored cost over-runs.

And now Boeing has opened a second 787 assembly line in South Carolina to take advantage of the cheaper labor and more favorable labor climate there, as opposed to Everett.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 10:19:06 AM »
IIRC, 787 is completely electric and uses fly by wire. If they completely lose electrical power, they are screwed.

Pretty much - at least the instrumentation is totally dependent on the power supply.  :O

I worked on the power supply project for a while - in fact I had one of the control units sitting on a table in my home office for about a year.  Part of the power supply loop is battery backup, assuming the control unit works right.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin