Author Topic: Possible virus problem?  (Read 660 times)

Unisaw

• friend
Possible virus problem?
« on: August 23, 2010, 09:35:06 PM »
I'm visiting my mom and checking her computer to make sure automatic updates is turned on, etc...  She is running Windows XP and has AVG 9.0 as her security software.  When I tried to manually run a scan, the scan went through about 100,000 files before the computer shuts down and reboots.  It did this three times in a row.  In checking the scan log for AVG, I determined that her computer has not successfully completed a scan in over a year.  There is also a notification that the scan log has been repaired.

Could this be a virus that shuts down the computer when it is about to be discovered by AVG?  If so, how should I proceed?

Thanks in advance.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Possible virus problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 09:53:34 PM »
Tried safe mode?

May also want to try a second security software.

Download and install malware bytes as well as avast. Update um and run um. I'd also give spybot a go.

I find AVG to be excellent, but it's pretty common to have one thing effected and another work like a charm. Had a bad one one time that took five different programs multiple scans each to get rid of. Each scan and program found various bits and pieces.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 10:16:27 PM »
Tried safe mode?

+1 to that.

AVG in safe mode scans in a command line mode.

Also, download the AVG live CD (Google it), burn it to disk.  Boot from it, let it update, and scan with that.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 05:36:35 AM »
Left out superantispyware.

Despite the name it is a very good product, IMO. Spybot finds some things it misses, SAS finds some things spybot misses.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 05:00:17 PM »
Many thanks.  Unfortunately, I had to leave before I got it fixed.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame