Author Topic: Full Rip 9.0  (Read 966 times)

Unisaw

• friend
Full Rip 9.0
« on: March 12, 2014, 01:40:40 AM »
I just read a very interesting book titled Full Rip 9.0: the Next Big Earthquake in the Pacific Northwest.  The title is somewhat self-explanatory, but it also tells the story of the scientists who, starting with the nuclear power plants of the 1970s, uncovered the geologic history of the PNW.  I highly recommend this book to anyone with a connection to the PNW or who lives in another area prone to earthquakes.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

stevelyn

• friend
Re: Full Rip 9.0
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 08:05:08 AM »
I'll have to check that out. I'm in an active earthquake/tsunami zone tucked neatly between two active volcanoes and nestled at the foot of a dormant one.  :facepalm:
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 08:19:22 AM »
I will look for that in the library.  When the next big one happens in the Puget Sound area, and you all notice I am no longer posting, it was an honor serving with you.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 10:45:14 AM »
If Mt Ranier erupts, it is going to kill a lot of people.

Mill Creek might escape that one, though.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 10:49:44 AM »
Maybe it isn't so bad to live in flyover country. :)

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 11:23:12 AM »
Maybe it isn't so bad to live in flyover country. :)

Where every day is a disaster, so we're used to it.   =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 09:49:10 PM »
There is an ios app called Quakefeed that lists all quakes as they occur
Probably also available for Andriod phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 10:06:56 AM »
I had this irrational fear that the Cascadia Subduction Zone would let go with a 9.x just before we closed on the sale of our house in Lebanon, OR.  With no earthquake insurance, we would have been boned.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 05:18:55 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.