Author Topic: XFinity Wireless Gateway  (Read 1384 times)

Unisaw

• friend
XFinity Wireless Gateway
« on: December 04, 2016, 11:49:43 AM »
XFinity sent us a new piece of equipment to replace the cable modem we have been renting.  After doing a little research, I found out that the new equipment is a combination cable modem and wireless router that creates a hot spot for ANY XFinity customer.  So, it's time to buy our own cable modem.  Note: our telephone service is also through XFinity, so we need a cable modem that can handle telephony.  Does anyone on APS have experience with running their own cable modem in this situation?
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: XFinity Wireless Gateway
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »
I'm in the same boat as you.  Is there a way to turn off or lock out the public access portion?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 11:59:53 AM »
On "locking" your systems, you guys should have both an option to not broadcast the ssid, and there should also be an option for wireless password. I can't believe Xfinity would set something up that doesn't let you password protect your wireless.

Otherwise, I have always been a big fan of separate modems / routers. I no longer have cable, but when I did, the Motorola Surfboard served me well as a modem. I've never used the rental modem from any company.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 12:30:54 PM »
On "locking" your systems, you guys should have both an option to not broadcast the ssid, and there should also be an option for wireless password. I can't believe Xfinity would set something up that doesn't let you password protect your wireless.

Otherwise, I have always been a big fan of separate modems / routers. I no longer have cable, but when I did, the Motorola Surfboard served me well as a modem. I've never used the rental modem from any company.

I have blocked my SSID and made it password protected, but the new software broadcasts the Xfinity SSID.  I need to take a closer look and see if I can block them, too.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 01:19:50 PM »
You CAN shut down the access to the public access, change the name, all sorts of stuff.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 04:03:17 PM »
HeroHog, I read that you can opt-out but that the opt-out expires whenever the firmware is updated.  Are you talking about something different?
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 04:30:05 PM »
There is a setting that you can "flip" on your own. Lemme find where it is done again...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 04:42:05 PM »
In any event, I don't want to keep paying $10 per month.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 04:57:18 PM »
Browse to http://10.0.0.1
Username = admin
Password = password

Change the password to something else please!

I set my SSID to ComCrapSux!  =D

Somewhere in there you can turn off their WiFi if you don't want it (I use my own and kill theirs).

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/disable-xfinity-wifi-home-hotspot/

:old:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 05:24:18 PM by HeroHog »
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 05:30:42 PM »
With my router's WiFi disabled through the admin, even though the public XfinityWiFi is enabled, It isn't showing up right now... unless it's slow getting set on the device... I'll let ya know if it changes.
MOLON LABE!

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 07:54:37 PM »
In any event, I don't want to keep paying $10 per month.

Are you internet only, or do use their phone service too?

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 08:17:05 PM »
You can also turn off the public hotspot via the account access site.  https://customer.xfinity.com is my access site.  Log in, my account, manage internet, manage home hotspot.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 08:32:21 PM »
We have telephone service as well.

I went to an xfinity store this afternoon and explained that I wanted to buy my own with telephony.  The guy proceeded to give me the name of 2 models that are "approved," neither of which handles telephone!  After more research and catching up on the above posts, the only approved model available for purchase that includes telephone is the retail version of the xfinity gateway.  As some above have noted, I will then have to turn off the wifi feature.

Thanks, everyone.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 05:26:14 AM »
Several links here on how to "turn it off" or at least hide it and lock it down.

https://www.google.com/search?q=turining+off+xfinity+public+wifi&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.