Author Topic: What old customs do you remember from childhood that are gone today?  (Read 14713 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
What old customs do you remember from childhood that are gone today?
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2005, 02:07:04 AM »
Where do I get that concentrate?  I can drink that straight and save time. Cheesy

Chris

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2005, 02:39:59 AM »
LMAO,,,go for the IV....shocked
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2005, 04:00:16 AM »
"Same Same??"

I guess it doens't matter much. Unless you're the pig or the cow. Or are worried about taste... Smiley

"Liquid coffee concentrate."

Actually, that's a VERY logical way of doing it, and "cold coffee brewing" is making something of a come back. There's a brewer called the Toddy or something like that that allows you to make the concentrate, which you store in the fridge, and then add to boiling water.

Cold brewing makes for an EXCELLENT cup of coffee.

Back in the 1950s there used to be coffee pots for just this very process. Water in beans in top, a special glass filter in the middle, and coffee concentrate on the bottom. They're worth a LOT of money these days.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2005, 04:11:09 AM »
Ahhhh.  Front porches.  My kid homestead had a brick/screened in front porch. I lived there and slept on the old metal swing from the time school let out till school started again in the fall.   Many games of monopoly that went on for days.   Card games, board games, lemonade and home made cookies whiled the summer days away when we weren't swimming in the local gypsum pits.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2005, 04:37:35 AM »
I worked at McD's in 1993-1995 and we made coffee with grounds and Bunn cofee maker.

Kosher Coke, I'll have to ask my Orthodox Rabbi buddy about that, he has turned me onto to kosher hotdogs and they are the cat's meow.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2005, 05:36:51 AM »
Here we go. The website for the Toddy cold brew coffee system.

http://www.toddycafe.com/

I think the fact that they want $35 for it is kind of stupid, though.

Oh and a warning fatboy...

Cold brewed coffee has something like half the caffeine of hot brewed coffee...

Maybe eat the grounds? Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2005, 07:49:08 AM »
I wondered too much to let it slide, so I found the answer at StraightDope.com:

What happened to Mercurochrome?
23-Jul-2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Cecil:

I had skin surgery recently and was told to apply Mercurochrome to aid in scarless healing. The product, once widely available, is sold by only one vendor in Boise, and I'm told they manufacture their own. Another pharmacist told me they were not allowed to handle or sell it. What happened to this antiseptic that I grew up with? --David Young, Boise, Idaho

Cecil replies:

You're dating yourself, pops. Few under age 30 have ever heard of this stuff. In 1998, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration declared that Mercurochrome, generically known as merbromin, was "not generally recognized as safe and effective" as an over-the-counter antiseptic and forbade its sale across state lines. A few traditionalists complained: Whaddya mean, not generally recognized as safe? Moms have been daubing it on their kids' owies since the Harding administration! But the more reasonable reaction was: It's about time.

For many years the FDA, faced with the task of regulating thousands of pharmaceuticals and food additives, many of which long predated federal oversight, has maintained the so-called GRAS (generally recognized etc) list, originally compiled as a way of grandfathering in products like Mercurochrome that had been around for ages and hadn't hurt or killed a noticeable number of people. Recognizing that from a scientific standpoint such a standard left a lot to be desired, the FDA has been whittling away at the unexamined products on the GRAS list over time. Mercurochrome and other drugs containing mercury came up for scrutiny as part of a general review of over-the-counter antiseptics that began in 1978, and for good reason--mercury in large enough doses is a poison that harms the brain, the kidneys, and developing fetuses. While no one's offered evidence of mass Mercurochrome poisoning, the medical literature contains scattered reports of mercury toxicity due to use of the antiseptic, and these days the burden of proof is on drug manufacturers to show that their products' benefits outweigh the risks. In the case of Mercurochrome and many other mercury-containing compounds, that had never been done.

The FDA initially proposed clipping Mercurochrome's GRAS status in 1982 and asked for comment. Hearing little, the FDA classified the antiseptic as a "new drug," meaning that anyone proposing to sell it nationwide had to submit it to the same rigorous approval process required of a drug invented last month. (This took place in 1998--nobody's going to accuse the FDA of rushing to judgment.) It's not out of the question that a pharmaceutical company will do so someday--published research on Mercurochrome, though hardly abundant, suggests the stuff is reasonably effective. However, the approval process is time-consuming and expensive and any patent protection Mercurochrome might once have had surely expired long ago. For the foreseeable future those yearning for that delicious Mercurochrome sting will have to look somewhere else.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

280plus

• friend
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2005, 07:50:47 AM »
So lard is pork renderings? I always thought it was a lovely blend of various animal fats. The wife was looking for it last night, I got the flour, I got the buttermilk... I forgot to tell her to check the "International Foods" isle. Sad

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2005, 08:19:13 AM »

Use less lard than you think you'll need.  Too much and your biscuits will melt in the oven.  I found out the other night...

For 2 cups of flour, maybe 1/4cup will work.  Either way, it's going to take some trial and error to get it right.

Luckily for me, I at least know what they should look and taste like.  Speaking of which, these aren't the big fluffy biscuits you see on tv commercials.  These tend to be thinner, and slightly dense, but with a wonderful rich flavor and "mouth feel".  

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2005, 09:40:08 AM »
Yes, lard is all rendered port fat.

You ever see the Pork Rinds that are sold as a snack food? George Bush I was very fond of them.

That's what's left when you render lard from a pig. They're also called cracklings.

"These tend to be thinner, and slightly dense..."

I'd say that's because you're using self rising flour instead of AP flour with separate baking powder and baking soda.

The acid in the buttermilk PLUS the tartaric acid that's added to the self-rising flour overwhelm the baking soda that is added to the flour. That's why a lot of recipes that call for acidic ingredients and baking powder also call for extra baking soda to even out the acid to base ratios.

If you want lighter, fluffier biscuits, skip the self rising flour and go to a basic recipe that uses baking powder with extra baking soda.

If you like the denser biscuits, then you're gold.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2005, 09:52:46 AM »
If you like the denser biscuits, then you're gold.
I have the exact biscuits I want.  The recipe needs minor tweaking due to my lack of experience, but these at least taste like the ones I grew up with.  No other recipe comes close.

My description was given to avoid any confusion when they didn't come out like the big, fluffy buttermilk biscuits most people imagine.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2005, 10:01:48 AM »
"My description was given to avoid any confusion when they didn't come out like the big, fluffy buttermilk biscuits most people imagine."

Well DUH! Smiley

I was providing counter point explanations for those who MAY want the fluffier biscuits, not Gammaw's Sausage Soakers. Smiley

But, you know, you sure didn't turn your nose up at those Tender & Flaky (or whatever they were called) biscuits Michelle made for dinner the other night when I was over. Cheesy

I'll also throw this in for everyone else...

Biscuits of the kind mtnbkr is talking about are not in my heritage. I grew up in Pennsylvania, where the yeast roll is king.

If you're trying to make biscuits for the first time, don't do what I did and overwork your dough. You're supposed to work the snot out of yeast risen rolls. You need the gluten.

But in Southern quickbread type biscuits, the kind mtnbkr is talking about, gluten is a BAD thing. Overworking the dough will give you what I got the first time I made biscuits...

Hockey pucks.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2005, 10:03:49 AM »
Heck, I've spent ~30 years trying to replicate the taste of Granny's meatballs. I have the recipe and everything BUT I JUST CAN"T GET IT RIGHT!! Wink

Thanks for the update on the lard contents AND quantity. I was kinda wondering how much to use.

Smiley

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2005, 10:20:43 AM »
I was providing counter point explanations for those who MAY want the fluffier biscuits, not Gammaw's Sausage Soakers. smile
Wrong recipe for that. Tongue

But, you know, you sure didn't turn your nose up at those Tender & Flaky (or whatever they were called) biscuits Michelle made for dinner the other night when I was over.
Of course not.  Every biscuit has it's place.  Smiley

Thanks for the update on the lard contents AND quantity. I was kinda wondering how much to use.
No problem.  It's kind of hard to give an exact measurement since grandma doesn't measure the ingredients herself.  

Mike is spot on about not overmixing the ingredients.  In fact, I half jokingly comment that I have to develop the "arthritic fingers" method of mixing the ingredients.  Oh yeah, these are mixed by hand, not machine.  Wash well before you start.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2005, 10:21:51 AM »
I'm trying to do the same thing with my Grandmother's chocolate chip cookies.

She used the original Toll House recipe, which she started making in something like 1939, but I've never been able to duplicate it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2005, 10:22:59 AM »
"Every biscuit has it's place."

Yep, smack dab along the walls of the left ascending venous cava. It's called a heart attack waiting to happen. Smiley

"In fact, I half jokingly comment that I have to develop the "arthritic fingers" method of mixing the ingredients."

And yet you keep refusing my offers to slam your fingers in a car door.

Sheesh. Try to help a guy capture a treasured family tradition and see the thanks you get?

JAlexander

• friend
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2005, 12:49:55 PM »
All this talk about biscuits has reminded me of some of my favorite childhood memories.  My great-uncle Hays used to come visit us twice a year, during quail season.  Most times he brought his sourdough starter with him and made biscuits a couple times.  Once a year or so I'd wake up to Uncle Hays making sausage gravy and biscuits, which is the Best Smell in the World.  One of these days I'm going to take a stab at making it myself, but it won't be quite the same.

He was a good man and probably did more to save me from my own teenage angst and stupidity than any other single person.  I miss him a whole bunch.  He was quite a character and knew everyone, and since this seems to have turned into a nostagia thread, I'm gonna tell a story on him.  I figure y'all'll bear with me for a paragraph or two.

Uncle Hays's son, Kenneth, married a girl from Kansas, and not long after they got hitched Tricia's brother decided to take a trip to Texas and meet his sister's new in-laws.  They spent a few days in Marshall fishing and drinking beer, after which Tricia's brother and his family headed down to Houston to see some distant relatives.  Apparently he was speeding a little bit and got stopped somewhere just north of Houston.  The cop asked him where he was headed and where he was coming from, and Tricia's brother said that he was visiting his sister's in-laws in Marshall.  Then the deputy asked who he knew in Marshall, and Tricia's brother said 'A guy named Hays G____.'  When he did, the cop said 'Aw, you know Hays?  Well, get on down the road, and don't speed so much.'  So they did, and called Kenneth and Tricia as soon as they got to Houston.  True story.

And to bring us back on topic...  I miss going to school a little bit late after a couple of hours bird hunting over a good pointer.  No one thought you were weird, or a future murderer, and most of the other guys and a few of the teachers were envious.

James

grampster

• friend
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2005, 12:52:35 PM »
Has anyone gone back and re-read this thread.  Ya'll beginning to sound like a bunch of old ladies at a crocheting contest.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2005, 12:59:38 PM »
Knit one, Perl two...

What do you miss most about your youth, Grampster?

The yearly tournaments where the knights would joust for the fair maid's hand? Smiley

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2005, 01:18:03 PM »
Thinks I don't miss....

Bactine.

More Bactine.

A trip to the doctor just to have him tell mom to wash me off and hose me down with Bactine (beginning to see a pattern here..?)

Absorbine for aches and pains. Not that pansy Jr. suff, either. And if you were out of Absorbine, kerosene would do in a pinch.

Hour-and-a-half round trips just to get gas (milk we had, and I hated getting that, too. Use your imagination...)

Cistern water with a funny smell and a really strange taste. Kinda like something had died in it (because it
probably had...).

Waking up at 5:30 every stinkin' morning to feed all the animals, even if the weather was so bad the postman got to stay home.

Party lines.

Ever tried an emergency stop in a 5000 lb car with four drum brakes and no power assist? If you have the chance, pass.

Going 'round, and 'round, and 'round a field on a 930 Case with a torn up canopy dragging an eensy little 12-shank plow. In the dead of summer. In Texas.

Fences needing mending. Miles of them. In every direction. And me with a pair of pliers, some bailing wire, and nothing but time. Same summer. Same state.

Things I miss very much...

I miss real family get-togethers where the family, well, got together. No ball games, no movies, no "progressive parties" and such. Just 50 or 60 people sitting around the back yard in old hand-me-down home-made chairs and talking. Add to the mix a couple old silver and green Coleman coolers full of Coors (when it was still illegal east of Texas) and a bunch of us kids to take turns busting up ice and turning the ice cream crank.

I miss Christmases with the same bunch. A houseful of us screaming cousins. Aunts and uncles sitting around sipping "hot chocolate" (riiiiight!) and playing 42. A Christmas tree patched together from pieces and parts of cedar trees, and big enough to cause a minor Hiroshima should it ever ignite. Santa coming to visit (never did find his reigndeer, and I'm here to tell you I LOOKED!!).

I miss hay rides with real hay and real horses.

I miss seeing stars at night, and the quiet stillness of a country evening.

I miss being carried in from the car because I was "asleep" though I knew full well that Mom and Dad weren't fooled.

I miss Grandmother, Grandad, Papa, and MaBerries.

I miss Fische's Dry Goods where you got a sucker when you went in, and when you went out.

I miss songs that tell stories.

I miss my dad's 64 Galaxie, and when 100 miles and hour felt like 1000.

I miss popcorn popped with real butter.

I miss aunt Cornelia's molasass bread and Grandmother's coconut pie at Sunday dinner. (that's "lunch" for you non-southern folk)

I miss people who greet you with a solid handshake instead of a limp lump that feels like you're grabbing a handful of wet toilet paper.

I miss doctors who knew your name before they looked at the chart.

I miss people smiling and waving as you pass.

I miss not having to worry about bills, or work, or whatever.

I miss being able to be a kid without everyone giving you strange looks.

Brad

p.s. - I like liver, but only if it's buttermilk breaded and deep fried.

p.p.s - In bacon grease.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

280plus

• friend
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2005, 03:57:54 PM »
Well I miss the Boy Scout camping breakfasts where the burnt pancakes, runny eggs, syrup and fruit cocktail all went on the same plate at the same time. And we had to drink milk from dirty glasses too. (not really)(trying to bring a more manly tone back into the thread for gramps...)

Wink

Sunday dinner. (that's "lunch" for you non-southern folk)
Actually up around here it's lunch Monday through Saturday but on Sunday it's "dinner" Never could figure THAT one out.

Smiley

Strings

« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2005, 05:05:28 PM »
Heh... when dad moved to Thailand, we got most of the stuff out of the house. In the medicine cabinet were TWO 16oz bottles of Mercurochrome (2% solution). Both almost full. Anybody who misses the stuff can email me...

Yep... 16oz Coke bottles were the PROPER way fro the drink to be served. And were also the best fo bottle rockets...

How about being able to buy fireworks without all the hassle. REAL fireworks, not the lil' sparklers they sell now...

A group of 20 of us kids at the school LATE at night, to play "ditch" (team hide-n-seek)...

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2005, 05:59:24 PM »
Oh, I know that feeling well.

Ever tried an emergency stop in a 5000 lb car with four drum brakes and no power assist? If you have the chance, pass
A 1960 Chevrolet Apache 20 3/4 ton pickup was my first car.  235 straight six, granny 4-speed, and somebody had installed an Eaton 2-speed rear axle before we bought the truck, so I had 8 speeds forward, 2 in reverse. First gear up front and first gear in back, I could step out of the truck while it was moving, adjust the engine RPM by the throttle knob on the dash, and steer the truck through the open driver's window while walking beside it.  That came in handy in the woods when pulling down widowmakers.   I remember the big old HD truck tires on 17.5 inch rims. Typical drum brakes all the way around, no power brakes, and no power steering (aka Armstrong steering).  Dad taught me early on to engine brake if I wanted to stop in a hurry, it freaked out my girlfriend when she first saw me do it.  My wife still gets unnerved when I do it with my current Chevy pickup.  Then there was the big emergency brake handle sticking up through the floor to the right of the shift lever.  Crank back on it through the ratchet detents, and it grabbed the driveshaft by way of an additional drum brake collar.  

But I parallel parked the damn thing downtown for my driving test, and I loved those big vent windows that cranked completely through to almost 180 degrees, for a lot of ram air on hot days.  I miss that old beast.  

One of my good buddies has an original Coca-Cola bottle dispenser machine.  And he keeps it loaded in his shop with the proper bottles of Coke, chilled perfectly.  I gotta remember to be real nice to him and get in the will...

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2005, 06:35:03 PM »
Hunter Rose, as a fellow Cheddarhead, albeit temporarily displaced, I may have to make a trip and get some of that Mercurochrome if you still have it.  It seemed to have kept my boo-boo scars to a minimum as a kid, too.  Wink

« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2005, 07:22:17 AM »
I miss the freedom of living in a world largely free of lawsuits. We used to play in the farmers fields, climb the cliffs, swim in the rivers, drag our little butts all over, daybreak to dusk in the woods and never see a "no trespassing" sign. Bows, BB guns and .22's were our companions and nobody ever called the cops. If you cut yourself on the wire the Doc. sewed you up and that was the end of it. We rode our bikes without helmets and drank straight out of the brook. Mom and Dad never said a word about avoiding strangers, any more than they warned us about meteorite's falling from the sky. And if some jerk ever did hassle us, we could defend ourselves. We all carried knives, and we all brought them to school, and no-one ever said a word. We would skip school, hide out in the cave and smoke cigarettes and get sick. No body called the truant officer or made a big deal out of it. Essentially, we were left alone to play and be kids. Sure we did some dumb stuff but we learned how to be independent and to take responibility for our actions- if we screwed up in any serious way we heard about it big time.

Old hardware stores with wood floors and smell of new bicycles at the western auto.
  Buying comic books with the covers ripped off for half price at the corner store.

This could go on and on , in many respects I don't think we have progressed at all in our hearts. Yeah, our medicine is way better, and our consumer toys are better, and it costs less to live, adjusted for inflation, but I would trade it all for the openness and freedom we enjoyed. Hell, you can't even give a kid walking home from school a ride anymore without becoming a suspect.