Author Topic: What old customs do you remember from childhood that are gone today?  (Read 14712 times)

DrAmazon

• friend
What old customs do you remember from childhood that are gone today?
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2005, 08:54:39 AM »
Quote from: grampster
Ahhhh.  Front porches.  Many games of monopoly that went on for days.
We did this in my neighborhood too.  Sometimes the "bigger kids" played as a pair with a "littler kid" who rolled the die and moved the pieces for you.  I can still remember playing sitting crosslegged on my parent's screened in porch with the neighbor kid, Zachary, in my lap.  He's married now...

Taking your Monopoly money home with you for dinner and overnight, or convincing someone's Dad to hold the money and the bank until the next day.  We'd known each other for years, and didn't trust each other a minute with monopoly money.  But when the kids on the next block messed with one of the gang, we'd defend each other to the end.  

I wouldn't want to be a kid now.  Too many organized activities and supervision. Too many dangers.  Too much  time inside.  Not enough time to learn things on our own without the parents around (or at least you think they're not around).
Experiment with a chemist!

« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2005, 10:23:29 AM »
-Clothes on the line, the smells of sunshined sheets...
-Making Popcorn Balls - messy, ended up with "sticky" from here to there...yummy
-Hardwood floors and sliding on them in sock feet.
-Tree-houses
-Crystal Radios
-Tree-houses, Crystal Radios, PB&J sandwiches, non-ripe persimmons and slingshots. [Feral Cat Watch & Control]
-Blackberry picking time
-Fig Perserves my Uncle used to make and bring up
-New business would open up Downtown, all the neat cool toys for kids.

-The old Sears store Downtown. Wooden Floors creaked when you entered, I swear they had fans blowing the scents of buttered popcorn, and the chocolates from the "Goody Section" to the front door. Upstairs was the Billing Dept, baskets would be lowered and raised from ground floor to Upstairs part.  Just duck inside for a second, get a whiff of some popcorn, see the baskets..."sonny, would you like a free bag of popcorn?"

-Sinking Trees
Let me explain. I started hating  fall holidays by the time I was 8 or 10. The 25th of Dec especially. I utterly Detest it now. My Uncle was the first one to introduce me to sinking them stupid trees so the Crappie would have habitat. As I got older I found any excuse to work - to not participate on 'that day'. I did have a tradition  of sinking trees in  various places for fish.

-Every Jan 1 I played golf with some friends, all dead now. Tradition was to have breakfast at the Toddle House. Mabel was always working - no matter when I went in, she was working. After breakfast we played golf. Sometimes it was REALLY cold, and we only played "One and Nine".  Many times it had snowed, or was still snowing. Sitting in the Toddle House, Mabel shaking her head laughing watching us paint our golf balls with nail polish..."You boys are nuts - but I wouldnt' trade this tradition of seeing you every Jan 1 for nothing."

-Shooting the diaper pail. Oh yeah, that was my own personal devised "custom".  I was the eldest. Three more came after me.  I do not care how much money you spend on a diaper pail, it is going to rust out with them cloth diapers. Stinks too. None of this rubber stuff back then..

"Honey, what do you mean you want that rusty old pail?"
"Going to dispose of it - honest mom".
Oh, okay, but you are not up to something are you?"
"Would I do that?"
"Yes"

There is no good way to carry a stinking diaper pail on your bike - in case you ever wondered. Burlap sack I found to be the best method. Off to the woods I would go and shoot the smelly , rusty thing. Coming back it was more 'portable' and easier to carry. The Grocery Store had a BIG Dumpster, so did the Fillin' Station, I took turns sharing.

In about 2 weeks I was ready to shoot the new replacement pail.

-Some sixth graders "said" to a first grader  it was a Tradtion to remove the hinge pins off the Principa'ls door at the beginning of the school year - and after the fall holiday break...and certain other times "as needed".

Some first grader got his start doing this Tradition in the second grade. For five years of Elementary school he never got caught. In fact he brought and shared this traditon to his Jr HS, and then in the 8th grade to the new JR High he transferred to.

High School  was tricky, even so he managed with the Office being past two more sets of doors.
Rumors about some other doors having  locks switched and teachers could not get in to classrooms - meaning students could not take tests...
...said kid still has never been caught.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2005, 12:22:43 PM »
"Fig Perserves my Uncle used to make and bring up"

Funny you should mention that...

The other night I was fortunate enough to eat dinner with mtnbkr and his wife and daughter. They rolled out the fig preserves, which one of their relatives had put up.

I'd never had fig preserves before, but I'm game to try anything at least once.

WHOA!

GOOD stuff!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2005, 01:49:08 PM »
Speaking of smells:

My grandad managed the Denver Elevator Company grain elevator in Akron Colorado from the early fifties until his untimely death in 1977.

My brother and I would spend endless hours playing in the feed storage warehouse.  Lots of hiding places and neat stuff.  We would give each other rides on the sack dolly until we ripped a sack, and then grandad would put an end to that.

The smell of grain, burlap, salt blocks and who know what else stays with me yet.  Anytime I walk into a feed store today I think of my grandad.

Grandad also loved his 1950 John Deere AR tractor.  It remains in my loving care still, and still earns its keep too.

« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2005, 01:56:59 PM »
Mike,

Whoa! is right.

This Uncle lived in a bedroom community of Houston, not far from the Ship Channel.  He passed on, a few years later his wife / my aunt said perhaps the pollution finally killed off the Fig Trees.

I say the trees died of neglect and all the attention my Uncle gave them.

He would come up in his Pick-Up every April on his way thru to his annual Fishing Trip to Kentucky Lake with his BIL.  He always brought the Fig Preserves, along with other goodies.

Fig Preserves with Biscuits, as a side for anything, just poke your finger in the jar when nobody was looking.

Decisions , Decisions, biscuits, ham, Red-eyed gravy, eggs and the Fig Preserves...Great " WE gotta have more biscuits...!!!"  I mean we had to have enough biscuits for the Preserves, the gravy, and to sop up the eggs. Smiley

-

Thanks for reminding me of another great Custom Mike.

This Uncle was so cool. He might make it up during other times of the year, still April was the 'bestest time' and fondest memories.

He was in the Appliance Business
[ his store can be seen in the movie "Urban Cowboy"., paid him to keep his sign on]

He used to have these HUGE styrofoam ice chests called "Low Boys" - this is what all the Fresh Fish and other goodies brought back where kept cool in. Or anything he was bring up to us or BIL.

One April he shows up and  3 freezers in the bed of his truck. One really small square chest and two bigger square type.
Mom got the smallest one and still has it.

One he left with BIL
The Third...the third replaced all the ice chests he used to use. When Annual Fishing Trip in April came around...He dollied it from his big garage in TX, strapped into his GMC Short bed, step-side, and  headed this way.
It kept stuff cold for the drive up here.
Give us the white shrimp, and anything else he had frozen in Milk Cartons...plug up for the night at our house...just run the long orange cord out to the truck.

100 crappie a day - each, easy - often times greater than that . Limits were real generous back in the day. Started early, nap , fish late evening, sometimes all thru the night if really biting.
Clean fish, put into milk cartons [ everybody saved mild cartons and used them this way] and "Stock" the freezer duing the week as he/ they went along. Freeze stayed plugged in while he was up there, still in the bed of his truck all the time.  Usually drove a old beater truck for fishing - just kept at the cabin...

When time to head home, unplug, head to our house, FISH FRY  when he arrived , plugged the freezer in for the night, next morning, unplug the freezer - once home , Dollie that freezer into Big Garage.

Nope, never a problem with stuff spoiling en-route. Uncle could drive and his trucks would RUN for sure...*wink*

Work Smarter not harder. Not to mention beats the heck out of keeping up with LOW BOY ice chests, and buying ice...

--

Which reminds me of another 'custom'.

Siver Coins

Both of my Uncles had B-Days the same month of mine. About a week later, a few days apart. They both bought silver coins by the roll. Dollars, half-dollars, quarters and dimes.  April was really neat , because I would get silver coins for my B-DAY...and other gifts too, but the silver coins were special.  

"Be a shame to have to unwrap a roll just give you a coin or two from each...might as well have the WHOLE roll of each one! WOW!  

Maybe there was somethng to this "getter older now" bit.  Wink

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2005, 02:43:57 PM »
I say the trees died of neglect and all the attention my Uncle gave them.
Probably so.  It's my understanding that they're high maintenance plants.  Still, I'd like a couple when I get a place that has enough yard.  I love figs fresh, dried, and in preserves.

Fig Preserves with Biscuits
Heh.  Had that last weekend while at my grandparents' house.  Had it again this weekend, though I made the biscuits this time.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2005, 02:47:14 PM »
Here's a tradition that we're trying to keep going, but as the family ages, it's getting tougher.  This year was the first time in 3 years that we were able to get together for our yearly bbq.  This year's was special because it was my daughter's first family bbq.

That's my grandfather tendin' the pig, my aunt (dad's sis) with her back to us, my cousin's husband, my dad's cousing looking at the camera, and my uncle (dad's BIL) on the other side of the cooker.  

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2005, 04:32:08 PM »
That photo looks familiar... Smiley

It's good that you lost all that porkage, Chris, or your family might have tossed you on the grill by mistake!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.