Author Topic: Good articles in this month's Forbes  (Read 1414 times)

Warren

Good articles in this month's Forbes
« on: October 04, 2005, 06:49:58 PM »
They do not slam the gov over Katrina, instead it shows just how prepared Home Depot, FedEx and Wal-Mart were.

They started preparing  days in advance, in Wal-Mart's case they had better weather info than the feds, they had more people on the ground faster, and did an overall great job.

Good stuff.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 05:55:11 AM »
They started preparing  days in advance, in Wal-Mart's case they had better weather info than the feds, they had more people on the ground faster, and did an overall great job.
I saw a TV documentary on Wal-Mart's distribution group a while back. They have a command center that would make NASA cringe. Weather info, satelitte tracking of their trucks, etc.

They have been able to determine how weather affects buying habits to the point they can tell you which flavor of Pop-Tarts will sell out quickest when bad weather hits. shocked

It's just another example of how private enterprise does a better job than big government.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 10:44:51 AM »
As a generality, the smarter folks are in the private sector.  In government, your mid-level bureaucrats are those who can't "make it" in the private sector.  That doesn't mean there are no drones in the pivate sector or no sharp folks in government, but the percentages favor the private sector.

The larger motivation, of course is the notion of profit.  Since governments don't sweat profit, there's little incentive toward efficiency.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 11:18:23 AM »
Of course they did.

There's profit to be had from such activities.

The rich get richer and all that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 08:47:19 PM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Of course they did.

There's profit to be had from such activities.

The rich get richer and all that.
Lets just conveniently forget that they got rich in the first place because they were smart. We shall just pretend that all the rich people in America were somehow "created" by "the man" and are coconspirators in "keeping you down".

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 06:31:32 AM »
"We shall just pretend that all the rich people in America were somehow "created" by "the man" and are coconspirators in "keeping you down"."

Sounds good to me.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

DOWN WITH THE WAR MONKEYS!

My post was sarcasm, based on the rantings of an apparently now former member of this board.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 06:36:43 AM »
Here's my question:

Who is The Man?

How can I send him a copy of my resumé?
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

...has left the building.

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 09:27:17 AM »
Quote from: Justin
Here's my question:

Who is The Man?

How can I send him a copy of my resumé?
haha! That's a good one!