Author Topic: Teach a man to fish  (Read 4946 times)

lifer

Teach a man to fish
« on: October 05, 2005, 10:33:33 AM »
If most Americans had some grasp of reality instead of what they are spoon fed by the left and right, this country might stand a chance. It is the old liberal mantra of education solving all problems- and while many things liberal are mickey mouse and pie in the sky, that one is true. If people know the truth of something, they will act accordingly (most of the time). So think about this:

1. We "own" things only with the consent of others; they can take it all away if they want and if you put up a fight then they will take your life to. The only reason this doesnt happen is because I, and millions of others, say you can have what you have. The extreme right does not like this and neither does the extreme left. Those of us who live in the real world understand it as reality.

2. Division of labor is redistribution of wealth is civilization. People really flip out over the term "redistribution of wealth." ALL civilizations not based on slavery are built on this principle. We pay taxes and we have roads and water and other services. We pay insurance companies and never see a return on a nickel- the money is given to others (unless we have an accident). Health insurance, car insurance, taxes for police, fire department, schools. People pay taxes and who never need a cop, never have a fire, and never have kids in school are all redistributing their wealth.

3.  When some people get to the point where they own almost everything and do not redistribute their wealth, civilization starts to break down. Now traditionally, these people are "convinced" to share with the rest of the tribe but if they have allies willing to use violence then they retain their wealth. Eventually, the masses are turned into slaves. When people finally have nothing left to lose, heads get stuck on poles, the great works are burned to the ground, and everyone starts from scratch.

The "Left" and "Right" are contrivances; devices to distract you while the criminals rape your children. Better learn it and learn it well- because it has been the same for the last 10,000 years.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Teach a man to fish
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 11:16:52 AM »
Sniff sniff...

Anyone smell something?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Art Eatman

• friend
Teach a man to fish
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 12:07:56 PM »
Yeh, Mike, I smell somebody who hasn't figured out that insurance companies are merely betting pools, and hasn't had it explained that capitalism is NOT a zero-sum game.

Lots of folks out there like that.  Age and a modicum of learning usually cures the problem.

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

lifer

Teach a man to fish
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 12:17:52 PM »
You are both so smart, so.....right. I know both of you pretty well and you are the reason this country is going down the tubes. You are giving it all away. But as long as you get your slice of the pie it is OK. You both smell like it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Teach a man to fish
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 12:41:33 PM »
"I know both of you pretty well..."

BBBBBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Now the stench is just unbearable, Art!

He "knows us" after what, a whole week on chatboard?

He doesn't even know when his chain has been pulled so hard his eyes have popped out and are lying on his cheeks.

I've got my slice of the pie because I EARNED IT. I've known Art long enough (what is it now, Art, 5 years?) to know that he's also earned his slice of the pie, as well.

I'm not the Mike Irwin Scumbag Supporting Charitable Trust and Benevolent Crack Whore, Smack Junkie, and Boozehound Protection Association, and I have not intention of ever becoming such. I'm not my brother's keeper, and I'm not a subscriber to the Utopian Ideals and Anarchy Society of the One World.

If this country goes downhill because of people such as myself and Art, hardworking people who have created better lives for themselves, regularly contribute to the health of the economy through prudent purchasing, pay our taxes with a minimum of whining, and don't create a massive drain on society and the resources whiny liberal do-gooders love to throw at problems, then there's simply nothing that will save this country. Especially not you and your perverse "vision."

You don't know squat, boy.  That much is evident.

I think Mercedesrules has a new playmate, though.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Paddy

Teach a man to fish
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 12:53:08 PM »
I agree that Mike is the reason this country is going down the tubes.  Other than that, what is your point, lifer?  Can you take it out of the abstract generalization realm?  What is your proposal to fix the 'problem'?  What is the problem BTW?

lifer

Teach a man to fish
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 01:25:14 PM »
I'm not my brother's keeper, and I'm not a subscriber to the Utopian Ideals and Anarchy Society of the One World.

Well, I am my brother's keeper. Where can I join that society?

Art Eatman

• friend
Teach a man to fish
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 01:28:40 PM »
All insurance companies do is bet that you'll live longer than you think, or bet that you won't have that car wreck, or that if you do it son't be all that bad or that it will be the other guy's fault.  "Actuarial tables".  Insurance companies know more about "the odds" than anybody, including Las Vegas pros.  Jimmy the Greek was an amateur compared to an insurance company boffin.

Capitalism isn't a zero-sum game.  Bill Gates hasn't taken a thing from me, nor has Donald Trump.  The opportunity is there for anybody to go out and create wealath in some manner.  It doesn't matter whether it's in engineering, arts/crafts or nuclear physics.  Or dreaming up something to sell.  The "better mousetrap" idea will always work, even if it's no more than Hula Hoops, Pet Rocks or Cabbage Patch Kids.

As far as "truly wealthy" and redistribution, where do you think the Carnegie Library came from?  Or the Ford Foundation?  Bill Gates has already set up for billions to be spent on what he feels are worthy charitable causes, just as has Warren Buffet.  Even Ted Turner has spent hundreds of millions on Good Deeds.

IIRC, corporations can spend up to 5% of their gross incomes on "do good", with a write-off against taxes--and they commonly do so.  That's part of where the money sent to the disaster relief on the Gulf Coast is coming from.

But anybody who can work smart can get wealthy, given the drive and ambition and a bit of luck.  A low-wage salaried job for a guy with few marketable talents?  He's as bad off now and in the future as he was in the days of Nebudkanezzer (spelling?), except nowadays he has TV, Budweiser and MedicAid.

And some low-rent folks even get on the Internet and whine...

Smiley, Art

"The harder I worked, the luckier I got."  Art Eatman

lifer

Teach a man to fish
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 01:37:39 PM »
But anybody who can work smart can get wealthy, given the drive and ambition and a bit of luck.

Sounds familiar. I wonder if you have anything in your head not ejaculated by the fat drug addict.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Teach a man to fish
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 01:39:37 PM »
"Well, I am my brother's keeper. Where can I join that society?"

Go read "Atlas Shrugged", then come back and talk to me.  I am genuinely curious what you'd have to say about it.

Paddy

Teach a man to fish
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 01:41:48 PM »
Best I can glean from you lifer, is that you don't seem to like the element of risk. Risk is a part of life as much as breathing.  There is no escaping it.  You can transfer some risk by way of insurance, but you cannot eliminate it.

Is the unfairness of life what's bugging you?  Life is most assuredly unfair, and it's not about to change anytime soon.

lifer

Teach a man to fish
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 01:48:43 PM »
Best I can glean from you lifer, is that you don't seem to like the element of risk.

If that is the best you can glean.......you are not a very good gleaner. The rest of that babbling you call a post is not worth replying to.

lifer

Teach a man to fish
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 01:51:01 PM »
Go read "Atlas Shrugged", then come back and talk to me.

Uhhhh............. No. Maybe if you would have recommended it. But now we will never know.

Paddy

Teach a man to fish
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 01:56:20 PM »
I read your post again, and it seems you're envious of people who have more money than you.  It's not worth torturing yourself over.  When you pull through this (and you will), you'll understand and know that you're every bit as valuable as Bill Gates or Donald Trump.  It's probably just a temporary depression.  Have you sought counseling? There are professionals out there who can help you.

lifer

Teach a man to fish
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2005, 01:59:22 PM »
What are you, an idiot? Say something or go away psychboy.

Paddy

Teach a man to fish
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2005, 02:07:27 PM »
Those of us who live in the real world understand it as reality.
Your definition of 'real world' must be different than anyone else's.  Seriously, dude, you are not coherent on any level.  You make an opening statement without any examples or cites, then proceed with ad hominems like you're a tourette's patient.   What is your major malfunction?

lifer

Teach a man to fish
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 02:09:00 PM »
Seriously dude, your ass is showing.

Art Eatman

• friend
Teach a man to fish
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 02:09:39 PM »
lifer, if the best you can do is attack those who've put forth resons for disagreeing with you, why do you bother to come here to this forum?

Tossing out insults takes no talent whatsoever.  However, I would bet that some of the folks' forbearance, here, is wearing thin.  I know mine is.  Next thing you know, I'll be writing stuff like, "I'd engage you in a battle of wits, but it's unfair to attack the unarmed man."

Ciao,

Art

lifer

Teach a man to fish
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2005, 02:14:52 PM »
Bye Art. Finally.

Noone has done anything on this thread except regurgitate conservative propaganda or insult me. Can anyone argue my opening statement without sounding like Sean Hannity talking to a junior high schooler?

Teach a man to fish
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005, 02:17:59 PM »
I don't much care what you type, but I surely do wish you'd learn to quote things correctly. I'm not even sure who to be annoyed at in this thread.

lifer

Teach a man to fish
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2005, 02:20:28 PM »
Quote what? If I irritate you will you release the flying monkeys?

Paddy

Teach a man to fish
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2005, 02:23:08 PM »

Teach a man to fish
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2005, 02:27:04 PM »
Yep..we'll get you and your little dog.

At least you didn't do the irritating little non-quoting quote thing. Good job!

lifer

Teach a man to fish
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2005, 02:33:05 PM »
RileyMC you are a coward. I started this thread, noone will argue what it's about- they just want to cite teh dittohead bible and attack me. And you call me a troll?

And the quote thing; sorry Barbara, I will try and figure that out.

Paddy

Teach a man to fish
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2005, 02:42:58 PM »
I started this thread, noone will argue what it's about- they just want to cite teh dittohead bible and attack me.
Mebbe because 'noone' can figure out 'what it's about'.  Other than throwing around epithets and personal attacks, you haven't written anything coherent.  Do you want to explain what the hell you're talking about, or just continue to babble irrationally?  What (if anything) is your point?