Author Topic: Soft People, Hard People: Retail Cultural Suicide  (Read 1645 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Soft People, Hard People: Retail Cultural Suicide
« on: February 05, 2007, 10:31:17 AM »
http://www.americanthinker.com/printpage/?url=http://www.americanthinker.com/2007/01/soft_people_hard_people.html
January 18, 2007
Soft People, Hard People
By Selwyn Duke
If the 1976 western The Last Hard Men has it right, we Occidentals metamorphosed into jellyfish sometime around the early twentieth century.  Although this title is more movie marketing than historical statement, there may be something to it.  After all, Robert Baden-Powell, a lieutenant general in the British Army, was motivated by the belief that western boys were becoming too soft when he originated the Boy Scouts in 1907.

Regardless of the origin and rapidity of our transition from he-men to she-men, one thing is for certain: We have become a very soft people.

When pondering this, I think about how it is now common to see men cry publicly.  Just recently George Bush Sr. broke down while rendering a speech, something that was unthinkable a generation ago.  Why, presidential aspirant Edmund Muskie saw his campaign scuttled by a few inopportune tears in 1972.  And before you score me for not embracing the metrosexual model, remember the impression this gives the rest of the world.  Feminization may be fashionable, but it doesn't engender respect among the more patriarchal peoples. 

Then I think about our unwillingness to discipline our children, something to which our jungle-like schools bear witness.  And should someone use punitive measures harsher than the euphemistically named "time-out" - something that may actually work - he is often excoriated for damaging the little darlings' "self-esteem."  And a spanking?  Perish the thought.  We're told this could scar a child irreparably (although we seldom ponder the ravages of pickling a young brain with Ritalin), and the idea is so foreign to many parents they cannot even conceive of placing a hand on their cherubim's sanctified little posteriors.

In contrast, the people of the Third World - and especially the Muslim fanatics who have designs on the West - are hard as stone.  We fret over the fact that Saddam Hussein endured some taunts during his execution, while next door in Saudi Arabia they may still chop off the hand of a thief.  We cater to the religious wants of incarcerated terrorists, providing everything from the Koran and prayer rugs to desired foods, and the soft set still laments the terrible privation these poor victims must endure.  In contrast, the terrorists' Muslim brethren often disallow the practice of other religions in the Abode of Islam.  We let illegal aliens run roughshod over our nation, sometimes bestowing government benefits upon them, then still feel guilty about not exalting them sufficiently.  In the Third World, however, foreigners are often treated like second-class citizens.  Under the Mexican Constitution, one foreign-born will never enjoy the full rights of citizenship.  In many Muslim societies, a certain kind of second-class status is reserved for "infidels"; it's called dhimmitude. 

All this is not surprising.  After all, luxury and living high soften the sinews and, regrettably, sometimes also the head.  The hand that spends its entire existence inside a velvet glove will remain soft and delicate.  The one wielding workmen's tools dawn till dusk becomes calloused and hard, more able to inflict injury and more resistant to it.   

I know, I know what's coming.  That's what makes us better than the nations in question, proclaim some, allowing themselves a rare foray into the realm of cultural superiority (what ever happened to the notion that all cultures are morally equal?).  As for me, I'm not awash in moral relativism, but neither do I fall victim to blind cultural chauvinism.  For, anyone who believes we have a monopoly on virtue is living in a fantasy-world of smug self-delusion.  Don't get me wrong, we are better in some very significant ways, but also worse in a few ominous ones.  We lack certain manly virtues, qualities on which national survival may hinge.

There is an immutable truth of human nature: When soft people clash with hard people, the soft are vanquished.  That is, unless they become hard.

People may laugh.  That's crazy, say they, we have the greatest military in the world, the most advanced technology, and a nuclear umbrella.  Yes, that's true.  But first, I don't claim we'll fall tomorrow, next month, or next year.  Even more significantly, though, external enemies would not initiate our undoing.  The fact is that no body, no matter how strong, imposing and well-armored, can survive an untreated disease metastasizing rapidly within.  The smallest bacteria can kill giants as easily as dwarves.   

And that is what ails us.  Every time an action designed to preserve western civilization is taken or even proposed, a great internecine battle ensues.  We capture combatants on the battlefield and then spend millions in legal fees debating whether to adjudicate their cases in civil or military courts.  We rightly scrutinize Imams making a scene at an airport and then spend millions more arguing about so-called "racial profiling."  And it's incessant.  Every act nowadays, from singling out illegals for deportation and the suspicious for scrutiny to getting swatted by "Tigger" to a six-year-old boy giving a girl a peck on the cheek, is met with hand-wringing and a disproportionate reaction.  And far too often litigation results, costing us valuable resources. 

And let's be very clear: Every dollar in currency and passion we spend on litigation is one less we have to fight those who would see us in ashes.  This means fewer resources - in terms of not just money but also attention and zeal - to secure our borders, ensure domestic tranquility and root out terrorists within and without.  A united people would confront threats as a monolithic front; we are expending ourselves fighting a cold civil war.  And the end result is that the lawyers get richer, we get weaker, and the hard people, waiting and watching in the darkness, laugh louder.

Lest I be misunderstood, I don't suggest we become the Hunnish Empire.  It's noble to recognize that Saddam Hussein's tormentors might have demonstrated more dignity.  It's a sign of civilization to expect our troops to behave as professional soldiers, not rampaging warriors.  And it's most divine to realize all God's children are valuable in His eyes.  But to the excesses of justice, correction or interrogation, we react not with measured admonition but with hysteria.  Our civility should be the fruits of manly virtue, but it's the putrescence of pusillanimity.

And here I think of Chesterton's profound description of our condition:

"Nowadays, we have Christian values floating around detached from one another.  Consequently, we see scientists who care only about truth but have no pity, and humanitarians who care only about pity but have no truth."

The Muslim world is one extreme, we are the other, the humanitarians who have no truth.  Why can't we control seven-year-olds, prosecute a war efficiently or strike fear into the hearts of criminals?  It's all for the same reason.  We're soft-headed pseudo-humanitarians to whom the kind of action or punishment necessary to deter evil behavior seems medieval.  This is why we had a national conniption when teenage vandal Michael Faye was to receive a typical Singaporean punishment, caning, for his misdeeds.  We should bear in mind that you can walk Singapore's streets safely in the dark of night.  The same cannot be said of ours.

Oh, this is just the price of freedom, some say?  They are wrong.  This is the price of abused freedom.

You may think I'm missing the boat, that the problem lies not with the weak but with the malicious, those who are the enemy within.  And, of course, but for their meddlesome hands, we wouldn't be at this precipice.  But a minority tyrannizes only at the deference of the majority.  For instance, if enough of us rejected the media that disseminated footage of Abu Ghraib far and wide while refusing to show Muslim beheadings, we'd not have reporters who were more internationalist than nationalist.

And a juxtaposition of Abu Ghraib and Muslim beheadings tells the tale, as too many of us are epitomized by panties while our adversaries are by swords.  While they bat nary an eye at the torture of an innocent, we eat ourselves alive over the humiliation of the guilty.  But what is truly humiliating is when the hard people laugh, watching the soft people play the fools, bray at one another, and commit cultural suicide.

And make no mistake, they laugh.  Why do you think the Mexican government distributed literature instructing its citizens on how to best violate our southern border?  Why did Islamists issue advice on how to play the victim card in the American legal system?  They don't tolerate such under their dominion, but they know about our lawsuits, protests, pandering politicians and capitulating clergy.  They know the game.  They know us.  And they don't really think we're barbaric or unjust.

They think we're weak and stupid.

Soft people and hard people, two sides of the same world.  Of course, we were harder too, a long, long, long time ago.  But it would be nice to find that happy medium, something that seems ever elusive.  A bane of man is that he jumps from blind prejudice to blind tolerance and back again, without ever making a stopover at the ethereal land known as enlightened distinction.

Will we find it within ourselves to strike that balance?  That is doubtful.  But what is fairly certain is that we won't much longer have the luxury of being a soft republic.  With enemies on both sides of the gate, it's only a matter of time before we see a 9/11 that is not a 9/11, but 9/11 squared.  Thus, to use a play on Otto Von Bismarck's metaphor, we can proceed with a velvet glove, but within must lie an iron fist.  We have no other choice.  Unless, that is, we fancy death a viable option.     

Selwyn Duke is a frequent contributor to American Thinker. Contact Selwyn Duke.

Some of examples of soft-headed/heartedness:
Shut Up, They Explained
http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=YzZiNWI4MDA3NjE1MjQ1Y2YxODQyYTc0NWFlNDg0MTA=
Until a few days ago, Charles "Cully" Stimson, a former JAG officer and prosecutor, served as assistant secretary of defense for detainee affairs. I met him recently when I visited the detention facilities at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, where the most dangerous of Americas enemy combatants are held.

Many of those who criticize Guantanamo allege that detainees at the facility do not have legal representation. They are either misinformed or lying: Not only does the International Committee of the Red Cross have regular access to detainees, there also are scores of American attorneys representing detainees on a pro bono basis.

Why do they do that? Maybe it is because they are genuinely concerned about protecting due process for detainees. Or maybe it is because they are, as Stimson said receiving moneys from who-knows-where. (Or  and this is my conjecture  perhaps they are currying favor with governments and groups that are or can become rewarding clients.)
In any event, Stimsons statement got him into trouble with what the wire services are calling the legal community. That community was not satisfied by Stimsons subsequent apology. On Feb. 2 he resigned from his position. A Pentagon spokesman said the controversy over his statement hampered his ability to be effective in this position.

Goatherds with Dream Teams
http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NGNhZDYxMmY0YjQ3NTBiNmRmNGYyYzY1ZjdhMWQyYzI=
I would like to second Cliff Mays regret at the premature departure of Assistant Secretary Stimson, whom I also met at Gitmo. It seems an almost parodic illustration of the uneven playing field on which we have chosen to play: our enemies are extended every benefit of the doubt while the mildest observation on the part of government officials will prompt howls of outrage and sustained campaigns to hound them from office.

Were often told that these folks at Guantanamo are small fry  innocent Afghan goatherds who got swept up in Taliban fever but are no real threat to America. This is a characterization that doesnt withstand much scrutiny: some of them were captured in the possession of, for example, six-figure sums in US currency, which seems a lot for a goatherd. Since then, the level of legal representation theyve attracted is certainly striking. It may be merely the cachet that attaches to springing goatherds from the clutches of the Bush police state but its not inconceivable that its yet another by-product of the vast amount of walking-around money various jihad-friendly front organizations have sluiced about the western world. I agree that idle speculation isnt terribly useful, but, given that The New York Times has managed to shut down the wire-transfer surveillance program, its pretty much all thats left.

Mission Accomplished: New York Times reports today that the terrorist banking surveillance program is toast
http://www.commentarymagazine.com/contentions/index.php/schoenfeld/120
Damage Done
Gabriel Schoenfeld - 2.2.2007 - 11:26AM

Back in June 2006, the front page of the New York Times carried news of a highly secret CIA-Treasury department intelligence program to track al Qaeda financing that drew on data supplied by a European banking consortium based in Belgium known as SWIFT.

President Bush denounced the newspapers disclosure of the classified counterterrorism operation as disgraceful. Prior to publication, administration officials had strenuously warned the newspaper not to run the story, arguing, among other things, that it would endanger national security by placing the SWIFT consortium under intense pressure to stop sharing information with U.S. intelligence.

Bill Keller, his paper already under attack for revealing a highly classified NSA terrorist surveillance program the previous December, promptly issued an equally strenuous rebuttal, noting that if, as the administration says, the [SWIFT] program is legal, highly effective, and well protected against invasion of privacy, the bankers should have little trouble defending it. Not long after that, Byron Calame, the Timess ombudsman chimed in, saying that So far, SWIFT hasnt publicly indicated any intention to stop cooperating.

Calame subsequently had a change of mind about the wisdom of his papers actions, and offered a mea culpa, declaring that I dont think the article should have been published. Bill Keller, for his part, issued a lacerating reply to what he called Calames revisionist epiphany.

Today, buried in the back pages of the Times, comes news that the European Central Bank has ordered SWIFT to cease providing banking data to the United States for use in investigations of al Qaeda. Under European Union rules, the Times reports, information on money transfers can be used only for banking purposes and not for other uses, like combating terrorism.

To read Bill Kellers initial defense of his papers actions, click here (link requires registration).

To find out how long it will take before Bill Keller issues a mea culpa of his own, click here.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Soft People, Hard People: Retail Cultural Suicide
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 10:46:13 AM »
You're preaching to the choir here.  The pussification of America is something most of us are aware of.

The real question is, what do we do about it?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 11:31:13 AM »
People don't wake up unless Something Bad Happens, unfortunately, because until then, they're safe (so they believe) with their gated communities and SUV and credit cards. The most they have to worry about, they think, is whether they set the recording of the latest reality show correctly and what time the kids' soccer practice is. Food comes from a drive-through on the way home, or picked up in a plastic bag from a fast/casual place like Boston Market or Panera. Money is an electrically-powered ATM machine or credit cards, nothing else.

People who survived in the wake of Katrina and had their entire town wiped off the map, THEY realize what it's like to face reality, of what can happen. And most of those people weren't even as "soft" as most Americans are, to begin with.

People elsewhere still don't get it. People down there had to deal with the reality of things like...supply runs where one person went into a half-smashed store to buy supplies as the other guarded the vehicle with a rifle, as the police were nowhere in sight and couldn't come, and there WERE bad sorts looking for targets.

I think in a lot of areas, particularly around cities like Seattle, LA, San Francisco and Boston, most people would be utterly helpless and there'd be a lot more dead after the fact, as well as utterly helpless refugees overwhelming both government and private relief efforts a million times over. It'd not be pretty. 

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 11:40:57 AM »
You're preaching to the choir here.  The pussification of America is something most of us are aware of.

Realisticly? There's NOT a darn thing we can do.

So we might as well enjoy the lap of luxury while we can until some third party slaps us silly and wakes us up. Of course it might be too late by then but maybe not. I imagine if the American people get really pissed off - I mean really p'od like in WWII that the world would probably regret gettin' in our face.

That assumes though that we actually wake up and that the true believers aren't in charge when that time finally comes.

TRUE BELIEVERS: Bleedin' heart lefty pacifists who truly believe they are right and not just spoutin' the lovey dovey we're all best buds, rational, good human beings drivel because that's what they think everyone wants to hear.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

slzy

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 02:19:57 PM »
as long as the national guard are the official welcome mats along the border,it is hard to see anybody waking up. but,remember the end of 1960s' time machine when george leads the eloi[who are a perfect analogy of which we speak] to fight back against the morlocks? maybe it will happen.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 02:23:55 PM »

Apparently, this has been a problem since before any of us were born.  

After all, Robert Baden-Powell, a lieutenant general in the British Army, was motivated by the belief that western boys were becoming too soft when he originated the Boy Scouts in 1907.

Despite this worry, we were/are still able to produce some very "hard" people and there are plenty of people that I know that are self-sufficient enough to survive a disaster and many of these people grew up with Dr. Spock et al.  There are also plenty of parents that can provide consistent discipline and boundaries for their children and aren't afraid to spank them.  I realize there are soft people out there, but I doubt it is as big of a problem as some believe.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 02:31:15 PM »
And let's be very clear: Every dollar in currency and passion we spend on litigation is one less we have to fight those who would see us in ashes.  This means fewer resources - in terms of not just money but also attention and zeal - to secure our borders, ensure domestic tranquility and root out terrorists within and without.  A united people would confront threats as a monolithic front; we are expending ourselves fighting a cold civil war.  And the end result is that the lawyers get richer, we get weaker, and the hard people, waiting and watching in the darkness, laugh louder.

I am not sure what the alternative is.  Abolish or limit the civil court system.  Maybe we could just trust the gov't to protect us and our rights.  Instead of suing the drunk driver that injured me, I should spend it on counter terrorism.  Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of abuses in our legal system, but it is still better than most countries, especially places like Iran, Saudi Arabia, Syria, etc.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 04:12:25 PM »
Buy good guns. Load good ammunition. Put in range time. Load more good ammunition.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 09:49:50 AM »
I agree partially but not with beating the hell out of your children, commonly referred to as "spanking"
I would hazzard (sic) that a lot more kids are killed during "discipline" then are killed by guns.

And I could care less about the way Saudi Arabia raises its kids or executes its women for revealing an ankle.  I don't feel the need to emulate them.

I would want our border secure and our gun rights returned ...and the gloves taken off the military.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 11:25:20 AM »
We don't want to abolish the civil court system.  As individuals all of our associations should be by willing contract, we have to have a civil remedy to breach of contract or else we can only resolve them by personal violence. 

What we need to do to clean up the civil court system is insist on personal responsibility and insist that judges and juries hold to it.  But, until all the individuals who would be judges or jury members get on board the sane train and start believing likewise, that won't happen.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 02:07:05 PM »
If the Arab scum who run the mid east are an example of what good "manly virtues" will bring you, I'm not sure I want to see us following their example.  They're a bunch of ignorant clowns who've squandered the greatest treasure in the history of the world on baubles for their elites.  Not exactly much to admire there.

I also don't think much of the author's assertion that we somehow can't afford due process.  He is equating federal dictatorial power with national strength. 

The author's rhetoric is nothing new.  Read "The Decline of the West" for more nonsense along these lines.  In real life, strength does not come from giving unrestricted power to the central state, worshiping the Ãœbermensch or beating your kids on a daily basis.

We should bear in mind that you can walk Singapore's streets safely in the dark of night.  The same cannot be said of ours.

And I'm sure the trains run on time too.  But criticize the government of Singapore and you'll be prosecuted for "defamation."  I see a little chaos and disorder as a sign that freedom is still alive.  A city that's too clean and too  well ordered, such as central London is these days or Singapore, is a city where liberty has died. 

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 06:29:36 PM »
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Easy living breeds weak people.

We know it's true physically, why can't we see that it works the same way intellectually, emotionally, and (for lack of a better term) spiritually?
D. R. ZINN

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 06:55:44 PM »
If the Arab scum who run the mid east are an example of what good "manly virtues" will bring you, I'm not sure I want to see us following their example.  They're a bunch of ignorant clowns who've squandered the greatest treasure in the history of the world on baubles for their elites.  Not exactly much to admire there.

That goes back quite a ways, too. The pyramids would still be clad in smooth-finished white limestone reflecting the sun, with a gold cap, if all the facing hadn't been stolen by arabs to use on local mosques. That's the only reason they have their block-step appearance, the smooth facing was stolen right off.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 04:30:36 PM »
Terrorists are enemy combatants and therefore should not be handled by our civilian law system and are not entitled to the same rights either. Hence we do not need to dismantle any freedoms in leaving them to POW camps and military jurisdiction. Also, nobody says that the military need to run rampant to do their job. As always, they are under civilian authority and congressional supervision.

If there is any problem, it is in disloyal politicians, corrupt media, and much ado about nothing.

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 04:48:12 PM »
Yeah well I'm going to stay sensitive and emotional, because I like it. Sorry if it topples your nation.

Can we stick our heads into reality for a second here please?

War and discipline are not the only ways to express emotion, they are not equivalent to each other, and neither can really force anyone to do anything they don't want to do. Maybe it's time to move on a bit.

PS. Of course we hold ourselves to a higher standard. Why the heck wouldn't we? The only reason I can think of is that we don't often meet it.

Probably because we don't beat our kids, too much marijauna and gay sex, yet conversely too little civil liberties, as if that one made sense.

Conservativism is getting less and less appealing. I thought it was about CONSERVING OUR RIGHTS, not about stuffing us all back down into the little boxes we were in before, everybody having their place and how it was appropriate for them to act.

I think this nation needs to split up again, and make it stick this time.

ps. Sorry if this was kind of a rant.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Lee

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 06:11:46 PM »
I don't buy it either.
"Then I think about our unwillingness to discipline our children, something to which our jungle-like schools bear witness."
So is the jungle a soft place? The kids who are turning schools into jungles aren't soft, they're macho to the point of being sociopathic.  Funny how being fatherless, and subjected to violence,drugs and alcohol, at an early age, does that to many boys.
Modernization always leads to claims of softness...funny though how modernized nations have ruled the world over the past few centuries.  Americans in 1915 were physically tougher perhaps, yet they typically died by age 50. Mentally and emotionally, they were probably less tough than the average twelve year old today.
The most ridiculous part is about the toughness of the muslim fanatics...hahaha...have you ever seen them go one on one with someone who doesn't have their hands tied behind their backs, or a gun pointed to their head?
Bullpoop!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 08:43:50 PM »
Any claims of "toughness" by muslim fanatics should have been destroyed by what happened in Somalia. It was like:

"We will defend Mogadishu to the death! The infidels shall not prevail! Allah is on our side! Etc, etc..."

"The Ethiopeans are coming. With tanks."

"FLEE! FLEE!"

*all the muslims make a run for the border, pursued by said tanks*