Author Topic: Motorcycles?  (Read 2638 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Motorcycles?
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2022, 01:39:28 AM »
It's okay if you aren't competing with a bunch of insane cagers... My neighborhood has a LOT of 50cc and up scooters. Plenty of gentrified motorcycles too.

South of here, you get Harleys. North side, you see a lot of the ricer crotch rockets.
Blog under construction

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2022, 07:35:50 AM »
Too much air between the rear tire and the rear fender.

You're probably too young to remember the UJMs.

Nope. Remember them vividly. Got interested in bikes right as the UJM craze hit full fruition, late 70s and early 80s.

Also, the reason most UJMs had less room between tire and fender was a decided lack of rear suspension travel. Add to that the only suspension adjustment being simple preload and it was a choice between rock hard or testing the bump stops, at least for us big guys.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 09:11:59 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2022, 09:15:13 AM »
What are you looking to spend?  We've pretty much run down the current "retro" UJM esque bikes in this thread.  The only ones we skipped are like Norton's or Ducati's, which just get more expensive.  Maybe look used?

Are those Ural motorcycles still sold in the States?  Not really UJM aesthetic, but retro and small engine.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2022, 09:36:28 AM »
Last time I got the itch I was looking at super moto style bikes like the DRZ400 as a lightweight sit-up option.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2022, 10:01:34 AM »
Last time I got the itch I was looking at super moto style bikes like the DRZ400 as a lightweight sit-up option.

I rode the smaller model, I think a DR250, in my motorcycle training class.  It was a little high for me to get on, but great fun otherwise.  I seriously considered one of the DR series after the class ended.

Of course, not at all the styling that Hawkmoon is looking for.  Might have to go vintage to get exactly what you want, but that carries its own hassles.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2022, 10:07:19 AM »
Yep:

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2022, 10:15:19 AM »
How about the Yamaha SCR950?

Scrambler-esque style, Japanese.  V-twin 942cc engine.  Don't let the displacement fool you, it's a pretty low tech engine.  Only puts out about 50hp or so, very low compression ratio, pretty good fuel economy at 51mpg.  $8700 new, very gently used ones seem to sell around $6500 or so right now.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2022, 10:17:06 AM »
Ryan Fortnine has a clever video on the bike on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv-1wmRSxvM
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2022, 10:44:38 AM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2022, 12:38:20 PM »
I've been considering one of the Tao Tao 150cc scooters. It'd be fine for most of my daily driving. Altho I have also been considering doing that VW-based trike too... But that would actually need garaging, while I could put the scooter in a shed or even wheel it into my existing garage (which has a milling machine sitting in front of the car door).

If I had the cash, I'd source a conex full of Chinese scooter parts - there are a lot of folks who come in my store looking for repair stuff, and the only real source for them is the internet.
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2022, 12:43:04 PM »
AZRedhawk44's pic reminds me that I still lust after a Triumph Scrambler.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2022, 01:18:56 PM »
Whatever you do, at least around here, do not refer to a Triumph as a Trump. The owners get really twitchy.
Blog under construction

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2022, 02:05:39 PM »
I've been considering one of the Tao Tao 150cc scooters. It'd be fine for most of my daily driving. Altho I have also been considering doing that VW-based trike too... But that would actually need garaging, while I could put the scooter in a shed or even wheel it into my existing garage (which has a milling machine sitting in front of the car door).

If I had the cash, I'd source a conex full of Chinese scooter parts - there are a lot of folks who come in my store looking for repair stuff, and the only real source for them is the internet.

Again, Ryan Fortnine has a great video on Chinese motor assembly quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GAUo8eUXeU

Stay away from anything with a Chinese motor.
--Lysander Spooner

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2022, 02:33:09 PM »
Again, Ryan Fortnine has a great video on Chinese motor assembly quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GAUo8eUXeU

Very surprised by the Royal Enfield. I was still running under the presumption they were meh quality rehashes of 50s designs built with woodshop-level tooling. That level of manufacturing precision takes a fundamental commitment to quality and some serious investment in technology. Duly impressed.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2022, 03:22:24 PM »
^^^I have read a lot of reviews of the Royal Enfield Himalayan and actually inspected them at a dealer 50 miles away.  The consensus of the reviews is that the fit, finish and reliability is still far behind Japanese/Thai/Taiwan manufacture.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

griz

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2022, 11:15:24 PM »
Looking at some of the videos posted I learned something I didn't know.  Royal Enfield makes a 650 twin.  Very classic look and a pretty simple compared to some of the more modern bikes, air cooled for instance.  Not a hot rod by today's standards, but it sounds like an affordable and practical bike.

Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2022, 12:29:45 AM »
Hawkmoon - that CB350 you had, was that a twin or a quad?  Back in the early/mid-70s, I had a Honda CB360 that was a twin while Honda also had 4 cyl. 360 at the same time (4 across).  The tranny was "1 down/5 up" 6 speed gearbox and I would sometimes cruise at 75-80.  It had the padded backrest ("sissy bar"), elevated frame-mounted footrests, and "cruise control" flip lever.  That bike was so well balanced that I could set the cruise and lean back and drive by just leaning slightly into the curves or change lanes.  All I had to worry about (besides other drivers) were "road hazards" (road debris, RR tracks, intersections, etc.)
Dumped that bike in the early '80s when I hit a bad slab of concrete on a St. Louis interstate and rolled about 200 feet but was lucky enough to walk away with just pavement rash.
  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2022, 02:37:12 AM »

A guy I know rebuilds the dang things with a bit of the ol' evil... I've seen an alleged 49cc that would do over 50mph...
Blog under construction

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2022, 11:33:53 AM »
The other thing to keep in mind is quality of overall design and handling.  Urban motorcycling has its risks, and responsive controls that you don't have to constantly fight can help mitigate those risks a lot.

This video happens to be about "adventure" bikes rather than scooters, but the point it makes still stands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP9OjCb7y5g

Chinese made CSC motorcycle vs Indian made Royal Enfield Himalayan.  Similar displacement, similar cost.  But the gearing selection made by the RE designers is far superior, and the clutch design and feel on the RE is far better.  Having to fight a clutch or deal with poorly designed gearing while in urban traffic can lead to distraction or even an out of control event on your bike.  As witnessed in the video, the CSC rider loses his line and puts blue sky under his wheels while hopping a big rock accidentally because he's fighting the clutch and gearing selections.

It's also telling that this reasonably experienced motorcycle reviewer that chose the CSC for this video had ALREADY dumped the bike once before even beginning the filming process for this video.

Both offerings are cheap, but the Chinese one just wants to separate you from your money with a disposable product.  The Indian one has a greater commitment to providing value.
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2022, 01:58:59 PM »
Today the UJM seems to have disappeared from the marketplace, unless I'm just not looking in the right places. All I could find is this:
https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/motorcycle/w/retro-classic/w800?cm_re=GLOBALNAV-_-PRODUCTGROUPLIST-_-MPP

That's the right styling, but I don't really need an 800cc engine, and I'm mostly interested in fuel economy for commuting to work, so a similar style bike with a smaller engine (maybe around 450 to 500cc) would probably be ideal. Does such a thing exist?

A couple other bikes that come to mind that might suit your styling preference as well as displacement and power range:

1.  Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen.

Yes, it looks a little modernized and spacey.  I didn't like it when I first saw one a couple years ago, but it's grown on me.  I'm actually a little disappointed that Husky discontinued the Svartpilen 701.  The 401 is high on Youtube's "YammieNoob" channel as a first bike, or a fun commuter/play bike.  If I ever come across a 701 of these used for a good price I'll probably snatch one up.  Heck, maybe even the 401.  Its power is exactly in the right place for enjoying this bike in real environments, not race tracks.  It will be lively and fun for rural highway carving, nimble in urban settings, and capable of Interstate travel though I would not encourage a cross country trip on it.  $5400 new.

Honestly I can't encourage you to look at this bike enough.

Husky also has "Vitpilen" bikes which have sportier handlebars and a more aggressive rider position.  I like the Svartpilen more, much closer to UJM/Scrambler position and style.  I'd really like to see a Husqvarna "Norden" style 701 adventure bike, aiming for a high-300 pound weight range, with an aluminum or steel subframe rather than the 701 Enduro's plastic subframe.  Give it a 250 mile range with an appropriate sized tank put into that metal subframe (the 701 Enduro's rear subframe IS the gas tank, making pillion use or packing luggage stressful on it) and it'd outsell so much.

2.  Royal Enfield Himalayan.

It's not a rocket.  But it is a tank.  400-ish cc, I forget the exact size.  Its power is all torque.  Yes, it'll do 80mph if you need it to.  It excels in the 30-50mph range, but it can pick its way through scree very well at low speeds, and low speed handling is something oft overlooked with motorcycles that is a pretty important trait once you own one.  RE is introducing a scrambler version of this bike that will have a smaller front wheel for a little more nimble urban handling.  Around $5000 new.

This is a Round The World bike.  A dutch gal that goes by "ItchyBoots" on Youtube has taken one of these through SE Asia and the Middle East.  If you beat on it like a dirt bike then you'll likely break something (footpegs, mirrors, control levers, accessories like that).  But the core of the bike is very solid.

And it's got some degree of that retro styling you seem to want.
--Lysander Spooner

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2022, 02:14:08 PM »
I'm echoing tokugawa re the commuting except for when traffic is jammed up.  I noted recently where under some circumstances a motorcycle can be used between cars in their lanes. 

Here was my CL-350, practically the same as the CB except for the upswept tail pipes, especially designed to burn left legs if you laid it down. I have no idea why this picture is reversed, but it's even the same color and year as mine.  I will say riding a bike was a good way to pretend you're invisible --which transferred nicely into driving a small car.

This one was in a for sale ad.  I gave mine away to a neighbor after I decided two wheelers were not for me.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 09:52:59 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2022, 08:15:37 PM »
Hawkmoon - that CB350 you had, was that a twin or a quad?  Back in the early/mid-70s, I had a Honda CB360 that was a twin while Honda also had 4 cyl. 360 at the same time (4 across).

Mine was a 1970 twin. The 4-cylinder was a 1971 -- it came out a few months after I bought my twin. I rode one at the dealership -- it was a very sweet machine.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2022, 12:47:02 AM »
What you need is a Suzuki SV 650 about a year 2000 model. Hard to find clean, as many have been thrashed in club racing, but they are a seriously nice bike. Suspension is so so, probably need the carbs jetted, but very nice. Reliable as a rock, 70 hp, 420 lbs. And cheap.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/d/portland-suzuki-2001-sv650/7472427396.html

This is a later model, injected IIRC.
 https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/d/seattle-2003-suzuki-sv650/7473340071.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/d/mercer-island-2006-sv650-red-motorcycle/7465770495.html

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2022, 09:59:25 AM »
What you need is a Suzuki SV 650 about a year 2000 model. Hard to find clean, as many have been thrashed in club racing, but they are a seriously nice bike. Suspension is so so, probably need the carbs jetted, but very nice. Reliable as a rock, 70 hp, 420 lbs. And cheap.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/d/portland-suzuki-2001-sv650/7472427396.html

This is a later model, injected IIRC.
 https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/d/seattle-2003-suzuki-sv650/7473340071.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/d/mercer-island-2006-sv650-red-motorcycle/7465770495.html

Yep 2003 was the first year for efi. I've got a 2003 sv1k. Gsxr suspension was basically bolt on, cheap and available.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2022, 10:32:02 AM »
Here was my CL-350, practically the same as the CB except for the upswept tail pipes, especially designed to burn left legs if you laid it down. I have no idea why this picture is reversed, but it's even the same color and year as mine.  I will say riding a bike was a good way to pretend you're invisible --which transferred nicely into driving a small car.

This one was in a for sale ad.  I gave mine away to a neighbor after I decided two wheelers were not for me.

Yep. The CL350 was exactly the same as my CB350 other than the pipes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design