Author Topic: Motorcycles?  (Read 2639 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Motorcycles?
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2022, 03:44:07 PM »
Yammie Noob does a review of the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I1fXtafJ8s

TL:DR version... he likes it a lot. Nice, well-rounded bike, especially for the price.

Brad
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 06:16:39 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2022, 06:02:50 PM »
I've seen several reviews of the Royal Enfield line up. Not really hearing any serious negativity.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2022, 01:06:22 AM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2022, 09:09:34 AM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2022, 09:47:28 AM »
I just did a 200 mile ride yesterday morning.  I'd never been up to the top of Mt. Ord, a 7100 foot member of the Mazatzal range, so I decided to remedy that during the ride.  It wasn't a terrible little two-track gravel road up there, but there were some steep spots, some scree to look out for, and some baby-head rocks in the road that could cause problems for your oil pan if you weren't paying attention.

Once I arrived up-top, I noticed two motorcycle campers parked among the juniper and pine forest along the road.  One was on a Yamaha XT250, and the other was on a Royal Enfield Classic 350.  I was kind of surprised to see a riding duo consisting of those two bikes; Mt. Ord is only accessible off Hwy 87 and it's a steep highway that gets 70+mph traffic despite the desert heat and the steep grades.  Underpowered bikes stay away from this road, and neither of these bikes can be considered highway regulars.

Props to the RE rider though for getting his machine up there.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2022, 09:02:14 AM »
The RE bikes look cool, but I haven’t heard too many good things about them and their build quality.
If I were looking for a small bike (and have been for my daughter), I would take a hard look at a Yamaha MT-03, BMW 310GS, or Honda rebel- to cover the bases of sport, dual-sport, and cruisers
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2022, 11:18:48 AM »
If I were looking for a small bike (and have been for my daughter), I would take a hard look at a Yamaha MT-03, BMW 310GS, or Honda rebel- to cover the bases of sport, dual-sport, and cruisers

That covers all the bases except the class I'm looking for, unfortunately.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2022, 02:55:58 PM »
That covers all the bases except the class I'm looking for, unfortunately.

I really think Royal Enfield is your ticket, Hawkmoon.  They are NOT the same outfit they were 30 years ago.  Just as Boeing has sunk, so has Royal Enfield risen.  You've got to keep in mind that the UJM of the 70's was the cheap rickety import of ill repute back then, and only in hindsight did their reliability be proven.  RE is on the cusp of that right now, and they have that neutral/naked look you're looking for.  The Japanese bikes have largely moved on from that.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2022, 03:33:49 PM »
I've got to agree with AZRedhawk44, Royal Enfield  is today a much better motorcycle than the UJMs of the '70s and '80s.
Looking at the requirements you have spec'd, in my opinion it is the only thing out there that comes close.
There are 3 dealerships in Connecticut, go look at the bikes.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams