Author Topic: Attempted Car Jacking in Houston  (Read 452 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Attempted Car Jacking in Houston
« on: July 09, 2022, 10:51:26 AM »
Suspected carjackers seen on video with guns drawn outside north Houston gas station
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVDWQv5lWPM

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CfycR8fjwnI/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I saw this first on the Instagram link (different poster originally).  The news report has bits and pieces of the video.  Caught my eye because one of the car jackers has what I thought was an AK pistol.  Might be something else. 

I also noticed the driver hit traffic as soon as they pulled out on the street.  The video doesn't show what happened out there.  I guess sometimes driving away might not be the escape plan you are looking for. 

It happened near Bush International Airport so that is not the best area of town even years ago when I lived there. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Attempted Car Jacking in Houston
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 11:49:43 AM »
Besides the, "You don't always have a path of escape" consideration, this also happened in the middle of the day. You always see lots of comments (including from me) about, "If you're out at 0200, what do you expect?" This just shows it can happen any time of day, and that your escape plan can go sideways lickty split.

One thing I think about at the gas station is my poor situational awareness when I'm filling gas cans. When I'm putting gas in the vehicle, I'm always scanning. No checking my phone or anything. When I'm filling cans though, I haven't found a way to do that. I'm bent over looking straight down or at the pump because I'm making sure the cans don't overflow, and I have nearly zero awareness of other stuff around me while gas is going into the can.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 12:03:49 PM »
Oh, yeah, like crime is a real thing.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 01:04:52 PM »
Besides the, "You don't always have a path of escape" consideration, this also happened in the middle of the day. You always see lots of comments (including from me) about, "If you're out at 0200, what do you expect?" This just shows it can happen any time of day, and that your escape plan can go sideways lickty split.

One thing I think about at the gas station is my poor situational awareness when I'm filling gas cans. When I'm putting gas in the vehicle, I'm always scanning. No checking my phone or anything. When I'm filling cans though, I haven't found a way to do that. I'm bent over looking straight down or at the pump because I'm making sure the cans don't overflow, and I have nearly zero awareness of other stuff around me while gas is going into the can.
About all you can do it look around when you can and/or avoid stations with too many people standing around.  You are still probably better off then the woman sitting in her expensive car.

Definitely looked like those thugs were scouting for opportunities.  If the woman had been out of the car and looking around or at them, would they still have targeted her?  I don't know.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 01:30:59 PM »
From the snippets, it didn't look like a carjacking to me.  It looked like a kidnapping / gang murder attempt.

Didn't these guys think of the surveillance everywhere nowadays?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.