Author Topic: How do you import a DVR'd video to computer?  (Read 576 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
How do you import a DVR'd video to computer?
« on: January 02, 2012, 11:34:41 AM »
We have a local high school band that is getting the opportunity of a lifetime - they're getting to play in the Rose Bowl Parade!

I'm going to DVR it (DirecTV HD DVR unit) and want to be able to pull the vid from my DVR unit to my computer so I can email it.  Any input on how best to do it?

Thanks in advance!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: How do you import a DVR'd video to computer?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 11:42:33 AM »
Does the DVR allow you to burn DVD-R's?  (unlikely, but some do)

You could also pull the hard drive out and try reading it with a USB adapter (but you might have to break a seal on the DVR, and there's no guarantee the file will be in a nonproprietary format.

Or you could find someone with a DVR that *does* have a DVD burner...

Check with your local TV stations, they may can get a video clip direct from the network.
"It's good, though..."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 12:13:28 PM »
I haven't seen a DVR yet that allowed direct importation to a PC.  I'd put a DVD-Recorder between the DVR and TV, then record the DVR output as if it were a live show (I've done this before).  Then, I'd use DVD Decoder to "rip" the DVD to .VOB and Handbrake the convert it to some other format.  I'm sure there is software that can do both steps at once, but DVD Decoder and Handbrake are free and work quite well.

Chris

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 08:19:31 PM »
I'm pretty sure the DVRs you get from cable and satellite companies intentionally make snagging videos off them difficult.  If they didn't you could start pulling content off your HBO recordings and build up a nice library.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 08:29:43 PM »
Gig, I know from experience you can do it via a recordable DVD deck, but you still have the commercials.  We used it to archive kids shows back when we had a DVD player in the car.  Now I just rip DVDs to VOB then M4V for the IPT or Nook Tablet.

Combining the two processes would let you get the shows into a digital file.  Could probably remove commercials that way too...

Chris