Author Topic: Went to the gunshow, came home with a knife  (Read 1528 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Went to the gunshow, came home with a knife
« on: February 13, 2010, 06:57:57 AM »
You know what frustrating is?  Frustrating is going to a gun show, having plenty of money to buy whatever gun you'd want to buy, and not finding anything worth buying.  I didn't even find any reloading junk or books that I wanted.  I did walk around with a couple of noobs who are getting into guns (this was their first show, she wanted to window shop for revolvers, her next purchase).  BTW, she is very interested in historical pieces.  I suspect she'll end up collecting old M&Ps, hand ejectors, etc. Her boyfriend seems more interested in larger bore guns (wants a 1911 in addition to the S&W M&P 9mm he just got, wants a shotgun for clay games, also likes my 44mag).  I think we have a couple converts.   :cool:

Anyway, while wandering around with them (actually, waiting for her because she got into a long winded discussion with a dealer about some of his older guns such as a pepperbox  :cool:  :cool:), I stumbled upon these guys: http://www.blindhorseknives.com/

They had a table set up with a selection of their wares including their "Apprentice's Knife", which was significantly cheaper than the "regular model".  We chatted for a few minutes about the steels they use (mostly carbon steels such as 01, 4140, D2, etc).  I ended up leaving with one of the Apprentice's Knives with 4140 steel and a green micarta handle.  The fit and finish is nice and it feels good in the hand.  It has a nice heft for such a small knife and feels like it will hold up well to hard use.  I asked if I could get one of their regular sheaths instead of the dangler style it normally comes with, to which they agreed.  I think a small knife like this would really benefit from a pocket sheath or a horizontal belt sheath.  It would make a dandy EDC fixed blade (the blade is a bit shorter than the one on my Small Sebenza).

I'll likely use it as a "woods loafing" knife, something to use when I'm not hunting large game and just want a handy, yet stout blade.  It'll probably do a good job on small game and general cutting chores at home or camp.

I should have bought two.

Chris

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Went to the gunshow, came home with a knife
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 11:27:41 AM »
It seems you have a misunderstanding of why you go to a gunshow. You don't go looking for something specific, you go to find that item you didn't know you wanted.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 11:48:48 AM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
Went to the gunshow, came home with a knife

What, no beef jerky or Nazi memorabilia?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 12:45:54 PM »
I'm going to open a stand that sells Nazi Beanie Babies. I think I should make serious coin.

I promise not to duck.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 05:22:18 PM »
I'm going to open a stand that sells Nazi Beanie Babies. I think I should make serious coin.
Only if they are made of beef jerky.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 08:38:51 PM »
Only if they are made of beef jerky.
Make the Nazi beanies into a small beef jerky water proof storage container.............................................................with matches.    :D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 08:53:25 PM »
Make the Nazi beanies into a small beef jerky water proof storage container.............................................................with matches.    :D

And a compas... and this thing in the stock that tells time!

I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 10:42:31 PM »

I feel your pain.  I went to a HUGE outdoors show today.  I bought two cheap flashlights that I really like. 

Aside from that, it was mostly "meh".  I seriously, seriously wanted to harm the generic-ShamWow guy with the headset and PA system. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 10:17:24 AM »
I seriously, seriously wanted to harm the generic-ShamWow guy with the headset and PA system. 

Who doesn't want to harm him....  Always one of the most annoying people at any show....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 01:47:59 PM »
Been there done that.  I went to the show in Fort Worth Saturday and it was so crowded several of the rows were total gridlock. Most of the pistol dealers had people standing two deep to fill out the paperwork.   I have never seen a show so crowded.  I was there for reloading stuff and natch, the bullet guy was the furtherest from the door.  1000 bullets gets pretty heavy.  I have done the knife thing too, several times.  Sometimes I come home with nothing.  chris3