Author Topic: More trouble in Enviroland  (Read 675 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
More trouble in Enviroland
« on: June 15, 2017, 08:22:10 AM »
The environmentalist movement must be having more problems than I knew about.

About fifteen or twenty (or so) years ago, when I was actively involved in a couple of off-roading clubs, I became aware of the Tread Lightly! program to help reduce the impact of people on environmentally sensitive areas. I signed up, traveled 100 miles to take an all-day training class, and became a certified Treat Lightly! instructor. Part of their pitch when promoting this class (which, by the way, was not free) was that the national organization would provide referrals to certified instructors for people or organizations looking to host classes. I received my certificate suitable for framing, and that's the last thing I ever received from them.

Until this morning. In today's first batch of e-mails I found a message from the Tread Lightly! organization, looking for volunteers to man their booth at the national Boy Scouts Jamboree. Apparently they now have some minimum number of classes that instructors are supposed to offer, too, or else a continuing education requirement, because they say that volunteering will satisfy the annual Tread Trainer requirement. Except that I've never satisfied the requirement -- didn't even know they had such a requirement. They must know that my certification must have expired more than a decade ago, yet they reached out to me to volunteer.

They MUST be hurting for warm bodies ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: More trouble in Enviroland
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 03:39:23 PM »
Never heard of "Tread Lightly",  We do a lot of "Leave no Trace" stuff.  Which boils down to try to leave it better than you found it.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 05:08:36 PM »
I wouldn't be that surprised.  I don't think data base managers ever actually delete anything from their stashes of precious information.  But what do I know?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 05:42:22 PM »
Never heard of "Tread Lightly",  We do a lot of "Leave no Trace" stuff.  Which boils down to try to leave it better than you found it.

That's basically what Tread Lightly! is about. Or at least, don't make it worse.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design