Author Topic: I am SO jealous of the Japanese! (movers)  (Read 608 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
I am SO jealous of the Japanese! (movers)
« on: February 20, 2019, 07:18:32 PM »
If we had, and I could afford, this kind of service, I wouldn't mind moving!
 :old:
https://youtu.be/ynEjnebw8LA
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: I am SO jealous of the Japanese! (movers)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 07:29:51 PM »
Yup, I'd use them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 07:39:35 PM »
Barring extraordinary circumstances I expect to die while still living in this house.
In the unlikely event I ever move again other than valuables like guns and cameras as well as some clothing my plan would be to just pile it all up and burn it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 10:13:35 PM »
Based on the first two posts, I was NOT expecting fully-clothed men.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 10:18:18 PM »
Based on the first two posts, I was NOT expecting fully-clothed men.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

True enough, it being WTF Japan and all.  I was only excited about it because I have to move soon and am dreading it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 11:35:28 PM »
Slight thread drift:

I couldn't help observing all the bowing and return bowing as the movers entered the apartment, and again as they left. I know it's accepted practice for Japanese to bow to one another in greeting, but I think this is the first time I've seen such an extreme example.

Shift to international politics. Obama was criticized on more than one occasion for bowing to heads of state of other countries. The reason for the criticism is that the President of the United States isn't supposed to defer to any other head of state. Protocol and all that, don'cha know. But what if it's not really a "political" situation, just a social get-together, and everyone is bowing to everyone? Should the American President go with the flow, or be a dick and stand straight and tall, like the proverbial ugly American?

Dang! Look at 2:30. When the first mover shows up, even just showing the husband (or boyfriend?) his identification is extremely formalized.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 12:40:34 AM »
Bowing is just the Japanese handshake. It's not overly deferential. Not really sure about the middle East or other protocols, but it's like shaking hands or waving hi in Japan.

The reason Japanese are really into business cards is that they never adopted modern writing. You can't tell how their name is spelled by hearing it. And you can't tell how their name is pronounced if you just see it in writing. By introducing themselves verbally and in writing there is some hope of functioning. It's really quite sad.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 01:20:48 AM »
Hawkmoon noted,

Shift to international politics. Obama was criticized on more than one occasion for bowing to heads of state of other countries. The reason for the criticism is that the President of the United States isn't supposed to defer to any other head of state. Protocol and all that, don'cha know. But what if it's not really a "political" situation, just a social get-together, and everyone is bowing to everyone? Should the American President go with the flow, or be a dick and stand straight and tall, like the proverbial ugly American?

I am no fan of Obama, but I thought that particular criticism was overblown... much like a lot of criticism of President Trump is overblown.

My first thought when I heard about it was that he was simply acting on the professional advice of State Department's protocol section.

My second thought was if the then-President had been a jerk about the bowing, it would be like George Gobel's remark about the world being a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes.

Terry, 230RN

Side note:  as I dig around for information on various things like the brown shoes remark I am sometimes amazed that so many of our famous people were involved in World War II --and not just as entertainers.  During World War II, George Gobel enlisted in the United States Army Air Forces and served as a flight instructor in AT-9 aircraft at Altus, Oklahoma, and later in B-26 Marauder bombers at Frederick, Oklahoma.  He later joked that while he was there, no Japanese airplane ever got past Tulsa.

Sorry,

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 02:14:25 PM »
Bowing is just the Japanese handshake. It's not overly deferential. Not really sure about the middle East or other protocols, but it's like shaking hands or waving hi in Japan.

The reason Japanese are really into business cards is that they never adopted modern writing. You can't tell how their name is spelled by hearing it. And you can't tell how their name is pronounced if you just see it in writing. By introducing themselves verbally and in writing there is some hope of functioning. It's really quite sad.

I don't think it's sad. Also, that same thing is true of a lot of people's names.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 06:14:30 PM »
The Red head and the TALL Japanese guy are married and make their living as YouTubers and the moving company is moving them for FREE in exchange for the exposure this video will generate so I'm sure the over-the-top service is at LEAST partially due to that fact (they mention that up front).
Side Note: She is a veteran of the US military!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!