Author Topic: Federal FY 2011 budget - deemed as passed?  (Read 6035 times)

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
Federal FY 2011 budget - deemed as passed?
« on: July 03, 2010, 10:36:19 PM »
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=37893

07/02/2010

Last night, as part of a procedural vote on the emergency war supplemental bill, House Democrats attached a document that "deemed as passed" a non-existent $1.12 trillion budget. The execution of the "deeming" document allows Democrats to start spending money for Fiscal Year 2011 without the pesky constraints of a budget.

The procedural vote passed 215-210 with no Republicans voting in favor and 38 Democrats crossing the aisle to vote against deeming the faux budget resolution passed.

Never before -- since the creation of the Congressional budget process -- has the House failed to pass a budget, failed to propose a budget then deemed the non-existent budget as passed as a means to avoid a direct, recorded vote on a budget, but still allow Congress to spend taxpayer money.

W... T... F...?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Federal FY 2011 budget - deemed as passed?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 10:42:05 PM »
Taxation without representation, just in time for the Independence Day holiday.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 10:46:02 PM »
I believe I remember hearing someone recently say that part of Obama's problem as President is that he is saddled with Pelosi and Reid as the leaders in Congress.  I'm not fan of Obama, but I have to admit that the current Congressional leadership has done little to enhance Obama's or the Democrat's image.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 09:04:21 AM »
Are they deliberately trying to destroy the public image of the Democrats, and of all liberalism?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 09:49:01 AM »
I get a whiff of the late Roman Republic and its Senate off this deal.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BMacklem

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 12:17:43 PM »
Wasn't a revolutionary war started for less than this administration is doing?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 12:34:47 PM »
Wasn't a revolutionary war started for less than this administration is doing?

That could be reasonably asserted. Though the list of grievances from the DOI is extensive and not altogether analogous in its writing to current events, other current happenings do seem to reflect some of the primary casus belli of the time: a stranglehold on the nation's money supply, lack of representation, etc.

Hmm, casus belli would seem inappropriate here. Anyone have a better phrase. Casus perverti/licentia perhaps?

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 07:26:27 PM »
I'm waiting on a document that "deems to have passed" a bill that states that the President and Congress now serve for life.

I mean, does anybody think these people are just going to go home quietly after having tasted absolute power?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 07:29:29 PM »
I'm waiting on a document that "deems to have passed" a bill that states that the President and Congress now serve for life.

I mean, does anybody think these people are just going to go home quietly after having tasted absolute power?

This little notion has come up for each of the last four presidents.  They all went home quietly.  (Well, Clinton did make some stupid noises after he left.)  Obama will leave quietly, as well.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 09:21:38 PM »
This little notion has come up for each of the last four presidents.  They all went home quietly.  (Well, Clinton did make some stupid noises after he left.)  Obama will leave quietly, as well.

Sorry, I wasn't entirely serious, I should have included some indicator of that. But you have to admit that  there's nothing stopping them from doing so as they've shown they don't care what we think, they're going to do what they want.

Also, ain't it a helluva a thing when I can say something like I did and it be considered that I was totally serious.

BMacklem

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 08:19:55 AM »
There is a lot of talk that a couple of years ago was completely ignored as paranoia, but is now being considered seriously.
Mainly because a lot of it has already come true....i.e. congress and the president ignoring the will of the people (healthcare)

I really am getting worried.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 04:00:41 PM »
Shouldn't people be getting thrown in jail over this? Heck, I consider it close to treason, if not actual treason. The democrats who passed that... thing... are really willing to destroy the US.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 08:15:30 PM »

Wait.  Do you guys mean the 2011 budget, or the budget enforcement resolution that puts caps on discretionary spending?

Haven't heard anything about the FY 2011 budget being passed yet, let alone "deeming" it passed.  Thought Congress was still mucking with it.  AFAIK, the budget won't be passed until mid Sept?

Here's a copy of the President's submitted budget: http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy11/index.html
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.