Author Topic: Nutri System  (Read 7571 times)

SomeKid

Nutri System
« on: April 17, 2008, 11:29:50 PM »
We talked about it in a previous thread, and I said I would go ahead and buy it.

Well, it came yesterday. You guys weren't kidding when you talked about portion control. I mean, sweet crap, this one box has all my food for a month? I must have been consuming 6000 calories a day, or more.

As I was wondering how this was going to sate my appetite, I looked around the box, and saw a roach had been crushed against it. Perhaps it is an attempt at controlling my hunger. Problem is, they don't know how strong it is. Moments later I was munching the chips, which weren't all that bad.

So, is anyone else on this diet right now?

PTK

• friends
Re: Nutri System
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 11:32:01 PM »
I must have been consuming 6000 calories a day, or more.

Many people overeat without realizing it. A lot of this comes from sweet drinks such as soda, candy, and of course too many snack foods.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

mfree

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 09:48:25 AM »
*nod* With "modern" food it's easy to have too many calories.

This is why my "diet" is basically to eat whatever for breakfast AS LONG as I'm cooking it, which time limits me in both prep and eating time, a 9oz container of frozen whatever that I made a gallon of a few weeks ago, and a decent sandwich for dinner, usually a little over what's considered a full serving of lunchmeat and decent REAL cheese.

Weekends are pretty much unlimited, but by then I'm so used to little meals that I physically *can't* overeat.

Breakfast is still usually pretty good, 2-3 cups of fresh coffee with an egg or two, some raw vegetable medley (carrot, cauli, broccoli), and a bowl of oatmeal or salt/pepper or spicy grits.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 09:50:48 AM »
A lot of people overeat in restaurants, because the expectation is now quantity. A small portion of excellently cooked food isn't "value"....Value is a shovel-load of food on a plate that used to be considered a serving dish for an entire table. I usually eat only half a meal, if that, and take the rest home.

I see this even in the language used now, when a server asks if you're done, or still "working on that", as if you're nose-down in a feeding trough. rolleyes

Also, just try getting a beverage that's less than 20 ounces. There's a lot of calories in those! It's why I drink water, unsweetened iced tea or coffee most of the time.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 10:21:17 AM »
Value is a shovel-load of food on a plate that used to be considered a serving dish for an entire table. I usually eat only half a meal, if that, and take the rest home.

Also, just try getting a beverage that's less than 20 ounces. There's a lot of calories in those! It's why I drink water, unsweetened iced tea or coffee most of the time.

There seems to be a trend lately where restaurants are serving smaller portioned meals for lower prices.  First it was one of hte AppleTuesFriday restaurants and now Jerry's Subs and Pizzas.  Dunno how widespread the latter is, but they're common around here.  They tend to serve HUGE subs, but have recently been advertising a smaller option for a smaller price.

I get water/unsweet tea/coffee as well.  I don't need 300+ calories on top of my 1500cal meal.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 10:50:37 AM »
Haven't seen that option around here much yet. Just commercials for Applebee's Overfeeding Combo whatever.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 11:14:24 AM »
I am quite interested in the outcome of this experiment.
Zeke

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 07:48:34 PM »
An easy way to over eat is by eating lunch at Bojangles' and then suddenly going to great-gramma's to fix her A/C.
Everyone knows you don't turn down gramma food.
Then again, I ate breakfast around 2, and lunch around 5...so I guess that was supper. Cheesy
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

SomeKid

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 08:03:18 PM »
An easy way to over eat is by eating lunch at Bojangles' and then suddenly going to great-gramma's to fix her A/C.
Everyone knows you don't turn down gramma food.
Then again, I ate breakfast around 2, and lunch around 5...so I guess that was supper. Cheesy

That is a very true statement. If I do not eat her food, she takes insult. If you love your Grandmother, you eat her food. granted, mine is a damn good cook, so it is hard to say no. Her version of sloppy cooking is still gourmet to me.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 09:54:28 PM »
I see this even in the language used now, when a server asks if you're done, or still "working on that", as if you're nose-down in a feeding trough. rolleyes

Yeah, that really, really bugs me.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 06:15:40 AM »
My wife and I have taken to sharing an entree when we go out to eat.  First, it cuts the calories in half.  We sometimes will get an appetizer, sometimes not.  Depends on the restaurant.  Also, it helps the ol' budget.  Obviously cheaper to split an entree, and even to split an appetizer and an entree, than to get two entrees.  We're drinking more water, which also helps us feel full.  And doesn't add 300 calories to the meal. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 07:35:53 AM »
Many people overeat without realizing it. A lot of this comes from sweet drinks such as soda, candy, and of course too many snack foods.

Yep. I just dropped sodas and stuff with caffeine in it. It gave me a bad headache for a day and a half, but I am off of it. It also saves me a lot of money at the convenience store- drinks are up to $1.39 for a 20oz coke, and a candy bar costs $.70+. And now I am no longer a slave to caffience.

I don't plan on changing any other aspect of my eating habbits, so I am going to see how this does for me. I've gained 30 pounds since my last flight physical 3 years ago, and I want to stop gaining, and hopefully start dropping.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 07:45:56 AM »
That's 5 gallons of avgas!
Blog under construction

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 07:50:58 AM »
If you want caffeine, drink black coffee. Zero calories.

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 08:04:21 AM »
My mom was telling me about this test that she saw on T.V. They took 20 overweight people and had them sit down to a normal meal they would consume. They were told to eat until they were satisfied. All of them completly finished their meals, which were large in portions. Well a couple of days later, they took that same group and did it again, but this time they were blindfolded.  On average, less than half of the meals were completed before the participants said they were full.

Your mind is what makes you fat...
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 08:07:37 AM »
Your mind is what makes you fat...

I thought it was Rosie O's spoon.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 08:18:14 AM »
My wife and I have taken to sharing an entree when we go out to eat.  First, it cuts the calories in half.  We sometimes will get an appetizer, sometimes not.  Depends on the restaurant.  Also, it helps the ol' budget.  Obviously cheaper to split an entree, and even to split an appetizer and an entree, than to get two entrees.  We're drinking more water, which also helps us feel full.  And doesn't add 300 calories to the meal. 

We share meals as well, but sometimes one of us will want something different.  Then there's the issue of cooking, I like my meat rare, she wants it well-done. 

My mom was telling me about this test that she saw on T.V. They took 20 overweight people and had them sit down to a normal meal they would consume. They were told to eat until they were satisfied. All of them completly finished their meals, which were large in portions. Well a couple of days later, they took that same group and did it again, but this time they were blindfolded.  On average, less than half of the meals were completed before the participants said they were full.

I'm the same way.  My problem is that I hate throwing food away.  I've started using smaller plates and all to reduce what I bring to the table, but if it's on my plate, I want to eat it.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 08:19:12 AM »
I'm the same way.  My problem is that I hate throwing food away.  I've started using smaller plates and all to reduce what I bring to the table, but if it's on my plate, I want to eat it.

Chris

I keep in mind a mnemonic to prevent that. Rather it go to waste, or go to waist? smiley

SomeKid

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 05:14:11 PM »
*Grumble* Over 300 a month, and it is 1500 calories a day, plus I still have to buy my own veggies/fruits.

Now I can see why people who diet are not happy. Granted, my own fault that I thought I was only supposed to eat what they sent. I was so hungry until I realized that.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 08:42:04 PM »
Granted, my own fault that I thought I was only supposed to eat what they sent.

I thought that's how it worked?
 undecided
Hi.

SomeKid

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 09:23:41 PM »
Granted, my own fault that I thought I was only supposed to eat what they sent.

I thought that's how it worked?
 undecided

So did I. They compose probably 75% of what your diet is supposed to be. You still have to buy things like fruits, veggies, and things of that nature. If this gimic works, I won't care, but I was hoping it would be a lot easier. Then again, I can always buy a bunch of carrots, and snack on them. Carrots and chocolate milk will fill me up decently, and add a lot of needed fiber.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 08:21:34 AM »
. . . Carrots and chocolate milk will fill me up decently, and add a lot of needed fiber.
Skim milk, sweetened with sugar-free chocolate, I presume.  angel

One thing I've noticed on these NutriSystem commercials where they have some sports has-been saying "I lost 22 lbs . . . " they never, ever say HOW LONG it took him to lose the weight.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 08:46:48 AM »
One thing I've noticed on these NutriSystem commercials where they have some sports has-been saying "I lost 22 lbs . . . " they never, ever say HOW LONG it took him to lose the weight.

I lost about 5lbs in a month without NS being my only source of calories (mainly lunch with some dinners, even fewer breakfasts).  I don't doubt someone could lose 10lbs or more a month with a strict NS diet.  The question is whether or not they could keep it off (I have Wink ).

Chris

SomeKid

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
. . . Carrots and chocolate milk will fill me up decently, and add a lot of needed fiber.
Skim milk, sweetened with sugar-free chocolate, I presume.  angel

Skim milk, yes. No comment beyond that.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 10:34:03 AM »
Enough of that sugar-free chocolate and you'll be losing weight whether you want to or not.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB