Author Topic: Man kills dog, cops kill man.  (Read 19204 times)

SomeKid

Man kills dog, cops kill man.
« on: May 08, 2008, 10:43:55 PM »
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/cityregion/s_566210.html

There are actually a couple of things that made me go WTF in this story. That said, I am curious as to what the reaction is from those of you who like animals more than people. Seemed better written than most, thankfully.

Officer shoots, kills man who guns down police dog
By Michael Hasch
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Buzz up!
Post to MySpace!
StumbleUpon Toolbar

A Knoxville man shot and killed a Pittsburgh police dog Tuesday before the canine's handler returned fire, killing the man in what city police Chief Nate Harper called "an unfortunate" but justifiable action.

The shooting outraged and angered the family of the 19-year-old man, Justin Jackson. He was pronounced dead by a passing paramedic almost immediately after the shooting that occurred at 6:53 p.m. in front of the UPMC facility on Arlington Avenue on the border of Knoxville and Mt. Oliver.

Harper said the dog's handler ordered the canine -- a 6-year-old German shepherd named Aulf -- to attack after Jackson pulled a gun from under his shirt. Both the officer, an eight-year-veteran Harper did not identify, and Jackson fired several shots, the chief said.

"They shot my son in the head. The officer told me, 'Our dog got shot so we shot him.' They killed my son over a dog," said Donald James Jackson of the West End.

story continues below

"My 19-year-old son is lying there dead, shot in the head, execution-style. My son's brains are laying on the street. This is crazy. I'm going to do whatever I have to do, file charges against the officers, for my son. It's terrible, the mentality they have," Jackson said as he tried to comfort his wife.

"We are not going to let them get away with this!" Anna Jackson screamed. "They will pay for killing my son. They are going to pay for shooting my son over a dog!"

Harper said the dog's handler and another officer, both in uniform, were driving on Arlington Avenue in a marked police car to respond to a report of shots fired when they spotted Justin Jackson. They stopped because they believed he was carrying a gun, the chief said.

"The suspect had his hand under his shirt. When the officer told him to show his hand, (Jackson) pulled out a gun," Harper said.

"The officer deployed his dog, and the dog did what it was trained to do. The dog was fatally wounded by the subject, and the officer fatally wounded the subject."

The dog's handler was placed on paid administrative leave, which is normal procedure, while investigators from Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr.'s office and county police investigate, Harper said.

The district attorney investigates all shootings involving police in the city. County officers were called because Jackson died on the Mt. Oliver side of the street.

Aulf, who was shot in the front legs and chest, was pronounced dead on arrival at a veterinary hospital.

Police dogs are protected under state law that makes it a felony to even taunt them.

"Preliminary indications are that the officer acted appropriately," said Harper, who spoke briefly to Donald Jackson near the shooting scene.

"I told him it was an unfortunate incident. Anytime a life is lost, it's unfortunate. I offered him the services of the department's chaplain," Harper said.

Roni Glass was walking along Arlington Avenue between Amanda Street and 18th Street at the time of the shooting. She knew Jackson, who worked for a Green Tree cleaning company.

"He shot the dog, and they shot him," said Glass, 15.

Bishop Otis L. Carswell, senior pastor of Potter's House Cathedral in Mt. Oliver, was driving on Arlington Avenue about the same time.

"We saw the officers. One officer was talking to the young man. The young man was casually sitting on the wall. The other officer who had a dog was standing about 10 feet away. The dog was barking and trying to get at the young man," Carswell said. "As we drove by, it looked like the cop who had the dog was going toward the young man with the dog.

"No more than 60 seconds later, we heard four or five shots, so we backed up. We saw the young man laying on the ground and the dog laying on the ground. Nobody paid any attention to the young man while we were there. (Police and paramedics) were working on the dog. They left the young man laying there.

"I'm very disturbed by this whole thing. I don't believe it had to happen that way. The cops just began clearing the scene, telling everybody to get away. Nobody asked if there were any witnesses. My wife had to alert the cop and tell him, 'You're running the witnesses away.'

"We want to extend our condolences to the young man's family. We're very hurt by this. We want to do everything we can in the community to curb the violence. I don't think it had to happen this way."

City police called for officers from the Port Authority of Allegheny County to help control the crowd and secure the scene. Officers patted down at least one young man overheard saying that he had a gun, but they found no weapon and did not detain him.

"I think people should be able to go to the bus stop without being shot," said Stephanie Bibey, 15, echoing a statement made by several bystanders.

Others saw the shooting as a tragic reminder of the general decline in the neighborhood.

"I think it's kinda scary. You can't come out at night. I think a lot of it is the drugs and guns and violence," Sue Carroll said.

"We gotta get out of here," agreed Lisa Fehr, who still lives a few blocks away on the South Side Slopes where she was raised. "As soon as my two daughters graduate (from high school). People are walking around with guns. We can't live here."

Michael Hasch can be reached at mhasch@tribweb.com or 412-320-7820.
Back to headlines

Summary: Possible scumbag (innocent till proven guilty) shoots police dog. Cops kill the guy. I wonder if it would be legitimate for us to act accordingly, and should we? What do you think of the whole thing?

Lastly, I bolded part of the story. How can it be illegal to taunt an animal? A felony no less! Last I checked it was perfectly legal to give the police your middle finger, and hate them as much as you want. Why are dogs given such special protection?

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Man kills dog, cops kill man.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 10:52:40 PM »
Because dogs respond to taunts differently than men.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

SomeKid

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 10:59:13 PM »
Because dogs respond to taunts differently than men.

So taunting them should be a felony? And define "taunt". Calling names? Muttering obscenities? Making faces?

Then imagine the cops response. "Tazered suspect while in commission of a felony - taunting my dog". Looks like good intentions gone off the deep end to me.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 11:12:02 PM »
Well did you miss the part in this story that the "victim" had a gun and shot the dog?

Hell it was already justified to shoot the guy as soon as the threat was there.  Shouldn't have turned the dog on him first. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 11:13:43 PM »
"The suspect had his hand under his shirt. When the officer told him to show his hand, (Jackson) pulled out a gun," Harper said.

"The officer deployed his dog, and the dog did what it was trained to do. The dog was fatally wounded by the subject, and the officer fatally wounded the subject."

Sounds like a good shoot to me.   

Police order guy to ground, guy pulls out gun and starts shooting, guy gets shot.  Fairly standard procedure.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

SomeKid

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 11:30:47 PM »
wm, I have a gun, and I would shoot a dog that charged me out of nowehere. Keep in mind, we give people a presumption of innocence. Do you really think it is appropriate for cops to send a dog at a man? Of course, there is also the conflicting account given by the pastor at the end of the article. Read the whole thing before your next response.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 11:33:38 PM »
So you would shoot a known police dog charging at you?

The man pulled a gun prior to the dog being turned loose.

I have worked along side K-9 units and it is habit for a dog to be barking and pulling at a leash in a tense situation.

None of us were there and only have the news report to go on, but IMO it was a good shoot.

SomeKid

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 11:36:41 PM »
The man pulled a gun prior to the dog being turned loose.

I have worked along side K-9 units and it is habit for a dog to be barking and pulling at a leash in a tense situation.

None of us were there and only have the news report to go on, but IMO it was a good shoot.

I consider it a questionable shoot, based on the differing accounts. Maybe he was scum, maybe he wasn't. I don't know, I think it ought to be investigated the same way it would be if it involved us mortals. That said, we disagree, fine.

Care to respond to my first response to you (post 3)?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 11:41:13 PM »
If you are talking about define taunting, you did it quite well.

I would hope you would be smart enough to know what will rile up a dog.

Yes there are going to be differing accounts.  But at the sametime how many people besides the officers in question would have been close enough to see the "victim" pull a gun first?

And where is it stated that it isn't going to be investigated?  All police shootings are investigated more throughly than one that would involve us mortals.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 12:48:49 AM »
I am curious as to what the reaction is from those of you who like animals more than people.
You rang?  grin
Just kidding. I like animals, but I like people, too. Well, some of them. smiley

My reaction is that this is a good shoot.
The guy was being investigated by the police for gun possession.
He pulled out a gun in front of the investigating officers.
This could be seen as a threat.
Police dogs are trained to go after threats.
The guy shot the police dog.
The cops shot the armed and threatening person.

I wonder if it would be legitimate for us to act accordingly, and should we?
I think it depends on the circumstances.
If your dog is out in the yard and some guy walks up to the fence or drives by and shoots it, you probably wouldnt be legally justified in chasing him down and killing him.
But lets say Im at home and my dog is my first line of defense. Some guy comes onto my property and shoots my dog. In this case, hes trespassing, plus hes demonstrated that hes armed and destructive. Hes a serious threat and will be handled accordingly.
Im not sure where the law would come down in that scenario.

So taunting them should be a felony? And define "taunt". Calling names? Muttering obscenities? Making faces?
Ive read of instances where people were charged for making faces and pointing their fingers at police dogs.
According to the article, thats the states law.
Its no longer a matter of should it be a felony. It is.
I wonder how many people were stupid enough to taunt police dogs before they made it a felony to do so?
Police dogs are tools and weapons in the line of service, just like squad cars and firearms.
They shouldnt be messed with.

Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 01:27:51 AM »
Yup, who's to say after he was done shooting the dog he would have turned the gun on them. They didn't shoot him becasue he shot the dog, they shot him to protect their own lives.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 02:10:45 AM »
They didn't shoot him becasue he shot the dog, they shot him to protect their own lives.

Yeah, that kind of jumped out at me, too.  Stupid, whiny people...   angry

Of course, there is also the conflicting account given by the pastor at the end of the article. Read the whole thing before your next response.

Nothing he says conflicts with the police version of the shooting itself.  They may take issue with his assertion that the paramedics let the guy die while they worked to save the dog.  I hope that is not the case. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 02:46:21 AM »
"define taunt"

Your mother was a bitch.

As for whether it would be legal for us to respond in the same way...

Couple of different points.

1. The guy has already fired shots. Given that he's just shot my dog, I'm NOT going to wait to see if he turns the gun on me before I return fire.

2. In many states, it is perfectly legal to use deadly force to protect personal property from damage. My dog is worth somewhere between $2,500 and $5,000 on the open market. Yes, I'm going to use deadly force to protect him.

Oh, and point three...

Regardless of points 1 and 2 above, my dog is far better and more worthy of life than anyone here, myself included.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 03:09:20 AM »
They didn't shoot him becasue he shot the dog, they shot him to protect their own lives.

Yeah, that kind of jumped out at me, too.  Stupid, whiny people...   angry

Of course, there is also the conflicting account given by the pastor at the end of the article. Read the whole thing before your next response.

Nothing he says conflicts with the police version of the shooting itself.  They may take issue with his assertion that the paramedics let the guy die while they worked to save the dog.  I hope that is not the case. 

Actually, being an EMT, I'd like to respond to the "let the guy die while they worked on the dog" assertion.

A)  We're not vets.  We don't work on animals.  So even if they were clustered around the dog, I highly doubt that they were "trying to save the dog."  That being said ,they may have been trying to save the dog.  Not being there, I can't truly speculate.

B)  The shooter was clearly and obviously dead.  When we see gray matter, that is a clear indication of death to us.  In our system in Oregon, we don't try to resuscitate trauma-induced cardiac arrests.  One of the guidelines we have is that if there is gray matter outside the skull, they're permanently dead, and nothing we can do is gonna save them.  As is indicated by this line in the story:
He was pronounced dead by a passing paramedic almost immediately after the shooting

I'm also really bothered by this line in the story:

My 19-year-old son is lying there dead, shot in the head, execution-style.

So apparently the father witnessed the officer force his son to his knees, put a gun to his head, and cold-bloodedly pull the trigger.   RIIIIGHT
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 03:27:20 AM »
never been to that ton but with that article i know where i could score dope if i needed to.
hard to decide which is more ludicrous pulling a gun while being confronted by 2 cops and a dog ot trying to defend someone who did. wheres darwin when you need him.wheere i live the young man would face the same charges as if he had killed a human cop. hows it work in your alternate reallity?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 03:46:16 AM »
The guy has already fired shots. Given that he's just shot my dog, I'm NOT going to wait to see if he turns the gun on me before I return fire.

Forget the fact that I like animlas much, much more than people.  Forget the fact that my Border Collie is the best animal to ever grace this earth.

Mike's one line sums it all up.

I'm not even sure why there is a question?
One day at a time.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 03:51:00 AM »
"define taunt"

Your mother was a bitch.

As for whether it would be legal for us to respond in the same way...

Couple of different points.

1. The guy has already fired shots. Given that he's just shot my dog, I'm NOT going to wait to see if he turns the gun on me before I return fire.

2. In many states, it is perfectly legal to use deadly force to protect personal property from damage. My dog is worth somewhere between $2,500 and $5,000 on the open market. Yes, I'm going to use deadly force to protect him.

Oh, and point three...

Regardless of points 1 and 2 above, my dog is far better and more worthy of life than anyone here, myself included.

Add to that that a police K-9 is considered an officer by both tradition and procedure. Ask any cop. Especially a K-9 partner whose life has been saved by the dog, which happens quite often.

Good shoot.

"We are not going to let them get away with this!" Anna Jackson screamed. "They will pay for killing my son. They are going to pay for shooting my son over a dog!"

Her son was street trash who was already breaking the law by having and carrying a concealed weapon at 19, and would have killed innocent people sooner or later. She should deal with it, and face the fact that she was probably a lousy parent.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 03:58:18 AM »
From reading the story, the guy wasn't shot because he killed a police dog, he was shot because by drawing a gun when two uniformed LEOs in a marked police car confronted him, he made himself a real, immediate threat to a police officer.

I'm licensed to carry a handgun, and I will NOT make any attempt to draw it if an officer hails me on the street, stops me for a traffic violation, or anything else of a like nature. When/if he asks me for ID, I'll show him my driver's license and (by law) my CHL. And take it from there.

The dog's shooting was incidental to the threat to the officers - if the guy had cranked off a couple of rounds and perforated a mailbox next to the cop, would there be an outcry about " . . . being killed over shooting a mailbox?"

Which brings me to this next point:
Yep.

I firmly believe the place to fight cops is in court, not on the street, and my inclination is to act peaceably when encountering police. But if Officer Fido is "charging" at me, when I haven't made any resistance to an officer, I WILL defend myself.

Excerpted from the Texas Penal Code, section 9.31:
(c)  The use of force to resist an arrest or search is justified:           

(1)  if, before the actor offers any resistance, the peace officer (or person acting at his direction) uses or attempts to use greater force than necessary to make the arrest or search;  and
(2)  when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the peace officer's (or other person's) use or attempted use of greater force than necessary.
   (d)  The use of deadly force is not justified under this subchapter except as provided in Sections 9.32, 9.33, and 9.34.
   (e)  A person who has a right to be present at the location where the force is used, who has not provoked the person against whom the force is used, and who is not engaged in criminal activity at the time the force is used is not required to retreat before using force as described by this section.
    (f)  For purposes of Subsection (a), in determining whether an actor described by Subsection (e) reasonably believed that the use of force was necessary, a finder of fact may not consider whether the actor failed to retreat.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 04:02:16 AM »
I should clarify that a known police dog charging at you for reason.

This police dog was charging for reason.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 04:04:07 AM »
Is there another substantially different account that I'm missing?  From this writing (and I know we don't have all the facts) I'm not all that worried about this shoot.  No one disputes the fact that the perp was actively shooting in the direction of the police, right?

I'm definitely no police apologist, an I certainly don't have Mike's view of the relative worth of people to animals (in all cases, anyway), but I'm not seeing any big problem here.  Perp drew down on a police unit, police unit responded appropriately.  If anything, I'm thankful that the only innocent victim here was a dog.  Could have gone down a lot worse.

On the other hand, I've never felt particularly comfortable with the idea that in many jurisdictions, killing a police dog is tantamount to killing a human police officer.  Laws against taunting police dogs are likewise a little silly.  I think such a law should say only: "If you taunt a police dog and it gnaws your face off, you probably shouldn't have taunted it."  No need for a felony.  However, in this particular case, the police officer would have been justified in shooting even if the perp had been firing into the dirt in front of them - whether there was a police dog there or not.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 04:05:00 AM »

Which brings me to this next point:
Yep.

I firmly believe the place to fight cops is in court, not on the street, and my inclination is to act peaceably when encountering police. But if Officer Fido is "charging" at me, when I haven't made any resistance to an officer, I WILL defend myself.

Uh. You don't know how police dogs are trained, do you?

They won't pitbull-attack you. They're trained to grab on your sleeve and pull you down. If you don't resist and struggle around, they won't do anything but hold on you. They go through a LOT of training to ensure that they don't just bite on suspects.

If you shoot a police dog, you deserve to be shot, IMO.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 04:08:18 AM »
Maned was that directed at me?

If so I am quite aware of the training that police dogs receive.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 04:11:45 AM »
Maned was that directed at me?

If so I am quite aware of the training that police dogs receive.

No, not at you, at HankB, who said he'd shoot a known police dog coming towards him.

I knew YOU knew about K-9's. Smiley I think a lot of people think that police dogs are just mad dogs unleashed on suspects, instead of highly trained animals who are trained to take down and restrain suspects with their jaws, not ravage them. Most of the time, if a suspect gets a cut, it's because they were struggling and literally cut themselves by dragging their arm against the dog's teeth.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 04:14:04 AM »
Well to back that up a police dog is not going to randomly attack someone.  The handler will have given the order for some reason or another.

Pulling a weapon would be a good one.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 04:29:00 AM »
It would seem to me to be a critical (fatal) lack of common sense to draw -let alone discharge- a firearm in the direction of a law enforcement officer.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com