Author Topic: How will this turn out?  (Read 1109 times)

SomeKid

How will this turn out?
« on: May 09, 2008, 08:20:15 PM »
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=news/local&id=6133465

WTVG -- Crystal Dixon just received verbal notification from UT that she has been fired for speaking her opinion in a copy of the Toledo Free Press.

A high-ranking University of Toledo administrator has been fired for speaking out. UT's associate vice president of human resources was put on paid administrative leave about 2 weeks ago after writing an opinion column in the Toledo Free Press.

Crystal Dixon just received verbal notification from the University of Toledo that she has been fired. It's all for speaking her opinion in a copy of the Toledo Free Press.

Doug Oliver has been teaching for 23 years. Now, for the first time, he says he's afraid to speak out. "All I know is what Dr. Jacobs wrote, and what he wrote sends a very clear message to me that I better be careful about what I say that doesn't align with political views."
Story continues below
Advertisement

University president Lloyd Jacobs expressed his views in an article in the Toledo Free Press. His column followed one written by the University's associate vice president of human resources, Crystal Dixon. Dixon ignited a debate about whether discrimination against gays is different from other forms of discrimination, including race.

In her April 18th column Dixon wrote: "as a black woman... I take great umbrage at the notion that those choosing the homosexual life style are 'civil rights victims'. Here's why i cannot wake up tomorrow and not be a black woman."

"I disagree with a number of those view points and I stated at least on the face of it. They aren't consistent with University stated values," says UT president Dr. Lloyd Jacobs.

Meanwhile, Dixon is out of a job and some faculty members, like Oliver, say it's just because she voiced her opinion. Late this afternoon 13abc spoke with Crystal Dixon. She says her termination is clearly a violation of her 1st amendment right for free speech, religious discrimination, and race discrimination. Now she is pointing the finger at University leadership. "I am an alumnus. I have worked with a fantastic team. I absolutely love the people I work with and I am disappointed in this and disappointed absolutely. Is this a lack of courageous leadership on the part of the university, absolutely," says Dixon

My bet is a very successful lawsuit. What do y'all think?

Josh Aston

• Future President of Texas
Re: How will this turn out?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 08:22:02 PM »
Sounds like the university might be owing someone a little bit of cash shortly.
I'm from Texas, what country are you from?

Aston for POTUS Republic of Texas - 2016

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 08:27:07 PM »
Unless she wrote that as speaking for UT she should be able to retire rather soon.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 08:30:03 PM »
I think you ought to go to bed and give your bait and argue schemes a rest.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.