Author Topic: Marine Air Corps  (Read 972 times)

Soybomb

Marine Air Corps
« on: May 13, 2008, 01:03:50 PM »
I was cleaning today and came across my grandfathers o-bit.  I never really got to discuss his military service with him and was thinking some people here might be able to tell me a little about what he possibly did.  The details I have are that he was a corporal in the marine air corps during ww2.  Anyone know what the average guy in that position at that time was actually doing?

Leatherneck

• friend
Re: Marine Air Corps
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 01:10:31 PM »
Probably in WestPac, Soy. Depending on the year(s), he was probably island-hopping with some pretty legendary units/Marines. Read up on the Pacific Island battles for some truly legendary accomplishments--and not just in the air. We could probably surmise more if you could discover the actual units he was assigned to, and what his occupational specialty was. You can get those records if you can identify him specifically enough (i.e., service number).

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Soybomb

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 01:15:28 PM »
Thanks!  I'm afraid I don't know any of those things right off hand but I'll dig around and see what I can come up with.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 02:58:36 PM »
It could have been anything from loading ordnance onto F4U Corsairs to company clerk.  There was a lot that had to get done.  Only officers were pilots, but I believe other air crew members could have been NCOs.  I suppose he could have been a tail gunner on an SBD or similar Marine bird.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 08:05:14 PM »
Could also have been a crew chief.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 08:44:06 PM »
Actually the Marine Corps had "Flying Sgts" in WWII and into the Korean War.

Example: 

Lawrence County News December 14, 1950

M/Sgt Hugh Newell killed in Korea

M/Sgt Hugh Newell, son of Mrs. Edna Newell, 1111 Tenth Street, Lawrenceville, was killed in action in Korea on December 7,according to information released by the War Department.  Newell was a flying sergeant with the Marine Air Force, piloting a Corsair Fighter plane.