Author Topic: Carnivale  (Read 3047 times)

spacemanspiff

Carnivale
« on: March 31, 2005, 04:17:52 PM »
anyone else watch this HBO series?

in case no one knows, its an epic tale of the battle between good vs evil, set back in the '30's and centering around characters of a traveling carnival.
the 2nd season just wrapped up sunday.
Wear a Yellow Armband!

stevelyn

• friend
Carnivale
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 04:24:26 PM »
I've watched it a few times. The episode I watched were pretty interesting, but the show is too weird overall for me.

Now Deadwood OTOH............Cheesy
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Carnivale
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 06:13:45 AM »
Echo - WEIRD... WEird... weird...

Way, way too strange for me. Gothic describes the style best and that's not a genre that's ever been on my list of favorite things to read or watch.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Carnivale
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 05:05:02 AM »
I love the show, sad that season 2 is over with.  Of course I liked Twin Peaks too, same people are involved with Carnivale.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Carnivale
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 10:21:58 AM »
Been hooked since the first episode. My only gripe is that with all the different authors and directors, the quality is a bit spotty sometimes. Some episodes are very, very good and some are only so-so. Have to hand it to the designers, art directors, and cinematographers. The show ALWAYS looks just stunning and never comes across as staged or contrived.

Brad

p.s. - and Adrienne Barbeau is STILL a hotty, even made up with all the grime and painted-on aging.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

spacemanspiff

Carnivale
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 10:45:47 AM »
i dont understand some of the finer details, such as what role Sofie has. being the offspring of a COD, and given that daniel knauf has said that only males can be avatars, how does she fit in? there are also prophets and princes for each generation, which i think lodz was one of the two.

i guess shes a prophet, since its been said over and over again (by the guy from the knights templar, the young sofie, and the old sofie/appy) "every prophet in her house".
then again, the same was said about ben, justin, scudder, and management in one of the first episodes (in the diner when all four sit down and the waitress says "every prophet in his house").
Wear a Yellow Armband!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Carnivale
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 01:03:55 PM »
Lodz was given his talent by Scudder. But lost his sight to gain that talent. I think he was just a pawn in the game or perhaps the eyes for management because IIRC Lodz shot off Management's arm in WWI

Still trying to figure out Sophie, too bad Jonesey got wacked by here, I liked his character.

Uranus is a gas giant.

spacemanspiff

Carnivale
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 01:24:11 PM »
as i recall, it was lodz bear that attacked management. it was scudder and management who were hunting each other during wwi.

i'm still struggling with the whole COL bears the COD and vice versa. if ben is COL, and his dad is COD, and the COD doesnt have the ability to heal, why is it that ruthie said scudder healed her of a snakebite years back?
Wear a Yellow Armband!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Carnivale
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 04:25:48 AM »
They need the companion notebook to go along with the show, I am about as confused as you are. I wish they would take a little more time in explaining some of the background instead of little flashback tidbits.

Charby

Uranus is a gas giant.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Carnivale
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 09:05:04 PM »
I take full responcibilty for this reserection  :angel:

So dad heard about this one years ago, so when I got netflix, I put it on the list. We just finished disk five of season two, with two episodes to go.

And tis awesome, in a confusing mind boggling you-have-to-think way.

They need the companion notebook to go along with the show, I am about as confused as you are. I wish they would take a little more time in explaining some of the background instead of little flashback tidbits.

Charby

If it had been successful, there most likely would have been. Knauf had the characters and mythology all written out before the pitch to HBO, most of that information didn't make it to the show.

There is a handy article in wiki about the mythology that helps, especially when it comes to explaining the avatara and sofies role as omega.

Lodz was given power by scudder in an attept to avoid his fate and lodz was then used by managment to track scudder and manipulate ben.

Anyway, me and dad are both ticked that the show didn't have its full six seasons. Our theroy is people don't want to watch good provocating tv that requires active thought from the veiwer.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 09:46:50 PM »
I watched it, too.  Absolutely WONDERFUL series.  Completely engrossing.  Was so bummed when it was canceled after only two seasons.

Useless Trivia - the bedridden mother (can't remember the character's name) was also the waitress in Pee Wee's Big Adventure that wanted to go to France.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 09:52:38 PM »
Appy, which was short for some odd long name.

*chuckle*

I wish she had a larger role.

Me and dad have had fun with this one. Its taking awhile, because we have to find time to watch it together (otherwise, I tend to skip ahead in series and he misses a bunch of episodes, but you can't miss a thing with this one) and then have long disscussions afterwards.

Its the kind of show where watching it with someone and talking it out after is helpful to getting everything and half the fun.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 02:48:59 AM »
I watched it, too.  Absolutely WONDERFUL series.  Completely engrossing.  Was so bummed when it was canceled after only two seasons.

Agreed. HBO did the same with Deadwood. The wife and I loved Deadwood.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.