Author Topic: What is Firefly?  (Read 14047 times)

PPGMD

• friend
Re: What is Firefly?
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2007, 06:50:02 PM »
Firefly is pretty good, I think the movie was much much better then the series overall.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2007, 08:08:14 PM »
Well, if you listen to the commentaries and such on the Serenity DVD, they say that they had to recreate the Serenity basically from scratch. The set had been trashed after the cancellation of the series. I also remember that the exterior had better computer modeling.

Plus the fact that the actors and crew liked doing the Firefly series and knew that this was going to be their last shot, they gave it their absolute best.

Serentity was great, but the series didn't lag far behind. However, in jumping before jumping into the movie Serenity, watch the Firefly series first. It will introduce you to the characters and their backgrounds, and sets the stage for the movie.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2007, 08:46:17 PM »
IMHO, the series was much better.

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2007, 01:29:19 PM »
Besides the plot, guns, guts, and glory, there were the babes......   grin

Trailers, including the first nine minutes of Serenity are  at: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/serenity/trailers.php
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2007, 12:02:50 AM »
Best sort of girls, too...a variety. One a quite literally professional seductress, one a cheerful and cute mechanic, and one a badass with a cut-down Winchester 92 strapped to her thigh.

client32

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2007, 02:25:45 AM »
<-----  Look over there, that is Firefly

You can also find scenes on youtube.

There wasn't an episode without something memorable in it.

One of my favorites:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8QlGBuFRB4
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

client32

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2007, 02:29:41 AM »
Best sort of girls, too...a variety. One a quite literally professional seductress, one a cheerful and cute mechanic, and one a badass with a cut-down Winchester 92 strapped to her thigh.

You failed to mentioned the government experement, freaked out, dangerous, psychic, unstable one.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2007, 02:35:37 AM »
You failed to mentioned the government experement, freaked out, dangerous, psychic, unstable one.

The best kind... Wink

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2007, 09:20:29 AM »
Yeah, but she was supposed to be a young to mid teen, AFAIK. I don't count girls under legal age as a "babe".  smiley

Besides, I have an aversion to the freaked out, psychotic sorts. There's PLENTY of those around!  grin

bdutton

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2007, 09:41:28 AM »
Best damn Sci Fi show ever.  Period.

More original than BSG and more realistic in a human sense than ST or SG.  No weird aliens or women painted all green (not that theres anything wrong with pretty girls painted green).

It is one of the few shows that I WANT to watch multiple times.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2007, 09:53:18 AM »
I also think one of the biggest draws is that a lot of lines sound more like what real people might say, especially when the conversation catches them off guard.

"Do you want to run this ship?"

"YES!"

"...well...you can't!"

client32

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2007, 04:31:00 AM »
Yeah, but she was supposed to be a young to mid teen, AFAIK. I don't count girls under legal age as a "babe". 
Ah, good point.  I guess I didn't remember/realize that she was supposed to be that young.  Watching The Unit probably didn't help either.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2007, 11:01:16 PM »
"Bullets are soft lead, Mal! Even Vera could... barely breach the hull...grin

Mixed-up though she was, I liked Saffron.  smiley
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

SomeKid

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2007, 11:29:33 PM »
Ok, bought the DVDs...now to watch them.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2007, 03:16:37 AM »
Had the wife go out and buy the DVD series and the movie and they should be here any day now.  Can't wait to see what all the chatter is about.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2007, 08:48:32 AM »
Do you know Chinese?  grin
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2007, 10:03:12 AM »
Do you know Chinese?

If you don't, here's some help:

http://fireflychinese.kevinsullivansite.net/index.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

onions!

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2007, 04:57:23 PM »
O.K.,I just finished episodes 1 & 2.
Why are the Alliance troops wearing the uniforms from Starship Troopers?
& what are the chances of a Wildey being on a backwater planet in 500 years?

Strings

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2007, 08:11:29 PM »
Onions: I think the uniforms were just recycled. I'd say Joss put 'em to better use. As for the chances of a Wildey being "out there" like that: it could happen...

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2007, 10:00:46 PM »
O.K.,I just finished episodes 1 & 2.
Why are the Alliance troops wearing the uniforms from Starship Troopers?
& what are the chances of a Wildey being on a backwater planet in 500 years?

It's not a "Wildey" it's just a "gun".  The idea on Firefly was that weapons came from a multitude of worlds from a multitude of makers.  They aren't what they actually are.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2007, 10:19:45 PM »
The gun choices are symbolic. The Alliance officers have two-tone Berettas, the frontier sorts have lever-action carbines, the cowboys have SAAs and other gunfighter-esque revolvers, and Mal, the guy who was on the losing side of a civil war, has something that looks like a Walker. And Jayne has absolutely everything.  smiley

Plus, if you were homesteading on a frontier planet far away from parts and armorers, would you, for a ranch gun, want a super-complex laser that needed to be charged and that you couldn't fix, something with tiny, complicated plastic parts like an FN 2, or a sturdy, powerful lever-action carbine, a drum of powder, bullet molds and reloading press?

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2007, 02:07:51 PM »
And Jayne has absolutely everything. 

Including guns that are made from a little bit of everything (Vera)

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

SomeKid

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2007, 02:15:14 PM »
Not too bad, I have gotten the set, and watched about 5 episodes. The constant intermingling of Chinese is annoying, but adds a nice flavor.

The one major detraction is the constant anti-Christian bias, though I do love the more freedom minded themes.

Does the movie take potshots at Christianity the same was as the show?

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2007, 02:35:05 PM »
The one major detraction is the constant anti-Christian bias, though I do love the more freedom minded themes.

Well, it isn't so much Christian bashing as that according to the story, Mal lost his faith after the final defeat of the Independence forces, at the Battle of Serenity Valley, IIRC. Not portrayed this way, in the movie, though. Also, many have speculated that Shepard Book was the commander of the invasion force that crushed the Browncoat forces.

Does the movie take potshots at Christianity the same was as the show?

I can't recall any of what you view as the bashing of Christianity in the book.

client32

• friend
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2007, 02:55:45 PM »
Somekid,

In the movie, and by the end of the series I think, the crew has a great amount of respect for the preacher.  You might wait for the series to play out before make the entire judgement.  I guess I wan't bothered by the anti-Christian bias so much because it is so rampant in TV now anyways.

One of the things that I was the most disspointed about the series stopping is not learning Book's story.  River's story is cool and all, but Book was more compelling to me.

Avenger,
After watching the movie, it is my theory that Book was an "operative" or whatever the enemy guy was in the movie. 
"Do you know what your sin is?"  it just seems like the next career path for a man who has had all his views of the world and people shattered.  After losing all faith in people like that, he might have been looking for a greater purpose.