Author Topic: I had no idea the census bureau was this bad  (Read 4641 times)

Soybomb

I had no idea the census bureau was this bad
« on: October 24, 2007, 12:41:16 AM »
I thought this might be better here than THR  grin

I've finally received my first census related document, the american community survey.  In this survey I'm asked my name, sex, age, marital status, race, home size, build date, value, tax bill, mortgage status, my education level, disabilities, the name and address of my employer, what time i leave for work, how long my commute is, my job title, annual income from wages interests etc, among other questions.  Along with it of course came the packets telling me explicitly how I'm obligated to complete and return it or face penalty of flogging or something and that privacy is important and my answers are confidential. 

As an IT guy I can't say that I'm all that comforted by their promises to protect stuff like my income, home value, and what time I leave for work.  Last year the VA lost information on 27 million veterans.  Bad administrators, bad security practices, and mistakes all add up and data that should never be leaked winds up exposed. I can't help but feel like I'm being forced to give quite a bit of personal information to an entity that has shown itself to be grossly irresponsible with data. 

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: I had no idea the census bureau was this bad
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 01:37:52 AM »
I don't think that you are required to answer all of the questions.  This same topic came up on THR a year or two ago.  The concensus on the census ( grin) was that only the basic info was required: number of people living in that house/residence, age groups, race/ethnicity.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 02:07:29 AM »
Toss it in the trash and stonewall future callers.

No honest gooberment needs to know that much about a random citizen.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 03:10:18 AM »
Toss it in the trash and stonewall future callers.

No honest gooberment needs to know that much about a random citizen.

fill in the legit parts and ignore the other 99%.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 03:32:26 AM »
fill in the legit parts and ignore the other 99%.

Exactly.  The census is actually a constitutional mandate.  They WILL send people by your house to collect the information as necessary.  They also have laws supporting them.

Though I'm not sure race is one of the 'mandatory' fields.  I'd just fill in 'mixed'. Wink   I'm pretty sure fly320 nailed the mandatory fields though.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 03:33:40 AM »
During the 2000 census, I got the long form - "Nosy" and "Invasive" didn't begin to describe it; some parts seemed like they were written by a burglar who wanted to "case" my home.

I filled in the number of people living at my address, left the rest blank, and sent it in.

Never heard back from them.  cool
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 03:50:30 AM »
[sarcasm] I always list the 28 illegal aliens living in the non-existent basement. [/sarcasm]
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 07:24:05 AM »
I filled in the number of people living at my address, left the rest blank, and sent it in.

And of course, constitutionally, this is authorized only as a headcount for the purpose of congressional representation, so that's all you need.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 08:55:35 AM »
Trying putting "European American" in the ethnicity part and see what they do. Wink

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

The Viking

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 09:18:21 AM »
Trying putting "European American" in the ethnicity part and see what they do. Wink

Brad
Do they get mad at you if you put "Martian" in the ethnicity field?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 09:21:52 AM »

Brad

Hmph.  They'd probably accept that without question.  "European Amercian" will merit you a snitty phone call.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

The Viking

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 09:28:13 AM »

Brad

Hmph.  They'd probably accept that without question.  "European Amercian" will merit you a snitty phone call.

Brad
When I move to the US I'll remember to put "European American" in that field laugh.
Which reminds me: Green Card Lottery has opened again Smiley. Wish me luck!

Soybomb

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 10:29:28 AM »
A little googling is quite interesting:

Ron Paul has commentary on it http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2004/tst071204.htm
but the stories people that have tried to not answer have are quite horrifying. http://jayseae.cxliv.org/2006/02/03/american_community_survey.php

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 10:48:28 AM »
They honestly need to fire the census takers and hire some statisticians/mathematicians.  The results would be more accurate and there'd be no need for such nonsense.

I've met some of the census takers, and I wouldn't trust those people to run a paper route much less the census.  They had no real qualifications.  I hope they're not typical.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 10:56:08 AM »
I met a guy who was born in Pretoria, RSA. Despite his fair skin, light brown hair, and blue eyes, he vigorously asserts his African-American ethnicity.  grin

In California, the census bureau was a bit upset over the number of people - apparently, thousands - who listed their religious preference as "Jedi" . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 11:06:26 AM »
"I'm sorry... In the wake of the Martha Stewart and Scooter Libby cases, my attorney has instructed me never to talk to federal agents."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 12:35:19 PM »
Like hell I'm going to answer that stuff  angry

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 06:59:39 PM »
They honestly need to fire the census takers and hire some statisticians/mathematicians.  The results would be more accurate and there'd be no need for such nonsense.

I've met some of the census takers, and I wouldn't trust those people to run a paper route much less the census.  They had no real qualifications.  I hope they're not typical.

My Mom did it. They advertise in the papers, and hire pretty much anyone. It's less exclusive than McDonalds.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 09:35:29 PM »
My Mom did it. They advertise in the papers, and hire pretty much anyone. It's less exclusive than McDonalds.

Well I guess as long as they're going to do it non scientifically, all they really need to be able to do is count and organize papers.  But really, statistical sampling would probably get results which were just as accurate if not more so.  I guess that's my math degree talking.

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 10:01:55 PM »
I think there was a Supreme Court case a few years ago on the subject of sampling.  IIRC, the result was that the Court told them to count--sampling was not constitutionally acceptable.

Soybomb

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 10:07:28 PM »
Thats even more comforting with your sensistive personal data!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 03:01:51 PM »
Thats even more comforting with your sensistive personal data!

It's like being a POW. All you're required to give is name, rank, and serial number; doesn't stop em from asking about other stuff. grin
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Soybomb

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 07:35:42 PM »
I emailed my senators and house rep and shared my concern about theft or loss of sensitive information and my dislike for the nature of the questions asked and the tactics used to try to strong arm people into responding.  Senator Durbin was the first to write me back.  He told me what the census is.   rolleyes

Thank you for your message expressing your concerns about the Census Bureau and your right to privacy. I appreciate hearing from you.

Census-taking through the United States Census Bureau is one of America's oldest activities. The first census was taken in 1790, under the responsibility of
Secretary of State Thomas Jefferson. As America grew, the nation's interests became increasingly complex and the census became more important. The country
needed statistics to help the government understand what was happening and to plan for growth.

Today, in addition to taking a census of the population every 10 years, the Census Bureau conducts censuses of economic activity and state and local
governments every five years. And every year, the Census Bureau conducts more than 100 other surveys.

The sole purpose of the censuses and surveys is to collect general statistical information from individuals and establishments in order to compile statistics.
The confidentiality of replies is important. By law, neither the census-takers nor any other Census Bureau employee is permitted to reveal information that
could identify any person, household or business.

Participating in the census is a valuable public service to help the government understand how it can better accommodate American communities and plan
effectively for future neighborhoods.

If you would like to check if your community is currently collecting surveys, please feel free to call the U.S. Census Bureau - Chicago Regional Office at:
(630) 288-9200 or 1-800-865-6384.

Thank you again for your message. Please feel free to keep in touch.

Sincerely, [image002.jpg]

Richard J. Durbin

United States Senator

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 08:45:11 PM »
That obviously is "Canned Reply #673."  rolleyes

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 08:57:46 PM »
I got something like that in the mail.  I meant to fill it out, but then I got distracted by something, put it down and completely forgot about it.  Second one came in the mail.  Same thing.  Nobody's called me or come to talk to me yet, and this was a year ago...  undecided
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth