Author Topic: New gun owners do not equal Trump voters  (Read 556 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
New gun owners do not equal Trump voters
« on: October 25, 2020, 10:07:48 PM »
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/10/25/first-time-gun-sales-not-voting-for-trump-430310

I believe we have discussed this.  I saw some recent data on the tremendous upsurge over the past few months on background checks in Seattle and King County, the liberal bastions of Washington state. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: New gun owners do not equal Trump voters
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 11:24:53 PM »
IMO, it only means they or some of them might eventually reevaluate what they think about the 2nd amendment and self defense and self reliance.  Doesn't necessarily mean they will change their views on other issues.  I just hope a few of them see themselves as the target when Dem gun controllers talk.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 11:32:02 PM »
Orange Man Bad over rides all
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 12:03:06 AM »
New gun owners do not equal Trump voters

I guess you mean to say they're not all Trump voters, as it stands to reason a whole lot of them will be. But I guess, when people talk about gun ownership turning people into conservatives, some take that to mean that everyone buying a gun will line up to vote for Trump in the 2020 election.

In fact, the gun-ownership-as-gateway-drug talk might mean something more akin to what MechAg was saying. It may very well cause lefties and moderates to modify their views on gun control, and this might eventually lead them to vote for more right-leaning candidates, further down the road.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife