Author Topic: Help - brother has gotten himself into a massive pickle  (Read 6867 times)

De Selby

• friend
Re: Help - brother has gotten himself into a massive pickle
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 09:24:27 PM »
Antibubba,

What you say is true...for people who don't ever intend to practice law.

Believe me, if you ever need a lawyer in california, for pete's sake check if he/she went to patino or lincoln...if your lawyer did, you're better off representing yourself armed with google.  Up to and including representing yourself on a murder rap.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 10:02:40 PM »
One of the instructors at Patino was a graduate, and a practicing lawyer.  If I had to choose between an overworked public defender or him for a trial, I'd pick him.  My other instructor was an overworked public defender.  smiley  She graduated from nearby McGeorge School of Law, and had plenty of debt to pay off.  She taught at Patino, she said, because the students were truly dedicated to their education, fitting it in around jobs and family in the evenings.  She sure wasn't there for the money!  The "campus" is literally a storefront.  It was a stimulating learning environment, and I'd love to be able to get my JD there, but I don't have the time even for that.

The only people who are better off as their own attorney are actors in movies.  Even having law or paralegal students who can help you wade through the forms and filings and procedures is a valuable asset.  And many of those who go on to practice law may never get near a courtroom.

I would have no problem with a Lincoln-trained lawyer as my attorney, provided I wasn't his first case ever!  A lot of ABA accreditation is about the furnishings.  Patino and even Lincoln don't have expansive libraries, but when you're a five minute drive from the County Law Library, in the State Capitol, the books you need aren't far.  Patino is 2 blocks from that library, the Capitol building, and the courthouse.  Would I prefer a Harvard Magna Cum Laude to keep me out of the gas chamber?  Sure--wouldn't we all?  But I'll also be happy to be represented by someone who doesn't know me as a case number in a manila file.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2008, 05:15:50 AM »
what got my brother suspended had nothing to do with any criminal offense.

It was an issue with the honor code.  Unfortunately, there is a question for the bar and for application to law school that asks if you've ever been subject to disciplinary action, and he will have to say "yes" and explain.  There also is a question for most schools about traffic violations.  Stupidly enough it is in the same question for "criminal offenses".  I thought it was moronic that I had to answer "Yes" to the question asking if I had any criminal offenses, because there was a second sentence saying "or traffic tickets".  I included a form listing the few minor tickets I've gotten (ie: going 31 in a 25 mph zone b/c I thought it was a 30 mph zone).  He's going to have to list this though and it's going to look bad.

We haven't gotten an attorney yet.  We're still trying to find a good one.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2008, 05:23:22 AM »
Check to see if he's traffic school eligible for this ticket.  If so, the violation won't appear on his driving record. 

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2008, 05:37:29 AM »
Right, traffic school!  I forgot what they called diversions out there.  Thanks, Riley.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2008, 08:45:43 AM »
I am sure that if he goes to the slam, big belly bubba will straighten him out.  From what you are posting, you are going to go bail him out and pay his fine.  Sometimes people just need to grow up and not be handled with kid gloves.....On the other hand, he may get to go to the same slam some of the wacko starletts go to.....chris3

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2008, 08:49:08 AM »
Old adage - "You play, you pay." Wink 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2008, 01:54:31 PM »
what got my brother suspended had nothing to do with any criminal offense.

You brought it up.....

It was an issue with the honor code.

And weaseling out of responsibility for driving like a maniac walks right in with the honor issues. 

Good luck, cheese.   Growing up not to be an attorney might be the best outcome yet.
7-11 was a part time job.

doc2rn

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2008, 05:20:19 PM »
Tell him to apply to Law school at Washburn University in Topeka Kansas. If he has the academic scores LSat & ACT he can still attend school there since it is not a state school. He needs to do the punishment for the crime. After he pays, then give him the good news. Washburn has a really good law school.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
Plus, if he happens to be named Hoban, it's all Firefly-ish. 

Sorry, I got Firefly on the brain over here.  laugh