Author Topic: Comcast quality reduction to squeeze in more HD channels  (Read 8504 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Comcast quality reduction to squeeze in more HD channels
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 06:50:56 AM »
It's not owned, it's a rented townhouse thing.

I think FCC rules have something to say about that as well.  I know around here lots of renters have dish tv of various flavors.  My next door neighbors are renters and they have one of the dish systems.

Chris

Per FCC, you're allowed to put up an antenna if you own or rent.  No homeowner's association can stop you.

Given the size of the building you've shown, though, I'm sure you can get an antenna somewhere inconspicuous.  Oh, and there are ways to amplify and split the signal, so multiple people in the building can use the same dish to get satellite.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 05:23:20 PM »
I would think the owner could figure out a location to set up dishes that is inconspicuous and workable.  You would think it would be in his best interest to find a way to do it right.

The last apartment I was in, people were sticking dishes all over the place. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 05:24:31 PM »
I have Dish Network right now.  It works great for me.  My buddy at work has Direct TV and keeps telling me I need to switch.  He has HD TV and loves it.  I haven't yet gone the HD route, but may soon.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 05:57:57 PM »
I've got DishNetwork which is not as expensive as DirectTV and the customer service is good.  Had HD for awhile, but it's just not worth the money IMO.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 05:59:10 PM »
Comcast Cable's my only option.  I tried Dish Network, but I have far too many trees to see any satellites at all, and I like trees better than I like TV.  I use Comcast business-grade broadband already, since FiOS doesn't exist out here, 768/128 DSL is too slow to run a server on, and my cheap co-lo dried up. So Comcast is already getting their pound of flesh; what's another half pound for TV?  I'd even consider switching my landline phone over to Comcast Digital Voice and get a package discount, except that the droids at Comcast can't wrap their neurons around business-grade broadband and residential-grade voice going to the same address, so I'd get charged business-grade phone rates, and that's not going to happen.

Actually, I haven't had any problems with Comcast's service; both broadband and TV have been very reliable (except when their "Smart Packet Filtering" caused me to lose sight of about 10% of the internet).  Some of the more obscure HD channels get mar-pat degradation and sound dropouts, but they're not ones I really care to watch regardless.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2008, 04:41:06 AM »
HankB
But then channels like BET and Telemundo wouldn't survive, and people have a RIGHT to their daily fix of "Get Whitey" movies and telenovellas . . .
Yeah; the Mexisoaps crack me up. It is usually a guy and gal staring "seriously" at each other in silence - and the other half of the show alot of shooting.   grin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2008, 04:55:12 AM »
HankB
But then channels like BET and Telemundo wouldn't survive, and people have a RIGHT to their daily fix of "Get Whitey" movies and telenovellas . . .
Yeah; the Mexisoaps crack me up. It is usually a guy and gal staring "seriously" at each other in silence - and the other half of the show alot of shooting.   grin

Sounds like a soccer match...

Er, excuse me... FOOTball...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2008, 04:59:58 AM »
HankB
Yeah; the Mexisoaps crack me up. It is usually a guy and gal staring "seriously" at each other in silence - and the other half of the show alot of shooting.   grin

There's a video out there of a guy with an apparent deathwish. I forget what country it was is, but he was using one of those tv-b-gone universal remotes to turn off the big TVs in and outside bars during the World Cup, with huge crowds staring at them. If anyone had spotted him, they'd likely have torn his arms off.  shocked

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2008, 07:37:33 AM »
Comcast Cable's my only option.  I tried Dish Network, but I have far too many trees to see any satellites at all, and I like trees better than I like TV.
Then you didn't put the dish on a tall enough tower.   grin

I use Comcast business-grade broadband already, since FiOS doesn't exist out here, 768/128 DSL is too slow to run a server on, and my cheap co-lo dried up. So Comcast is already getting their pound of flesh; what's another half pound for TV?  I'd even consider switching my landline phone over to Comcast Digital Voice and get a package discount, except that the droids at Comcast can't wrap their neurons around business-grade broadband and residential-grade voice going to the same address, so I'd get charged business-grade phone rates, and that's not going to happen.

Hmm...  You mean they don't have a prosumer grade internet?  Note, DSL is a telephone line broadband method, not a cable version.  Personally, I have 4 mbit DSL for $40/month.  And yes, I use it. 

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2008, 07:45:05 AM »
Hmm...  You mean they don't have a prosumer grade internet?  Note, DSL is a telephone line broadband method, not a cable version.  Personally, I have 4 mbit DSL for $40/month.  And yes, I use it. 

They may have prosumer service, but it wouldn't work for me; I need the fixed IP.  I used to have two DSLs into the house, one 768/128 ADSL on a dynamic IP for surfing, and a 144k iDSL on a /28 fixed IP for running a server on.  I'm far enough out from a CO that 768/128 ADSL is the fastest I can get over the phone wires.  Comcast only gives fixed IPs on business-grade service, but that's OK; the server's for my Grove, so the Grove pays the bill for the cablemodem.

I know about dynamic DNS and so forth, but those are a PITA.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2008, 08:02:12 AM »
Looks like more people are finally noticing.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/COMPRESSED_HD?SITE=AP

And it got worse. Now there's little boxes in black areas on Universal HD. Discovery HD looks like crap. Also, 480p stretched out and clipped is not freaking HD. I'm dropping them.

Oh, yes, as an added bonus, it seems they've lost all restraint as to making the commercials as loud as the loudest parts of the program being watched. I literally have to run and grab the remote. Show goes off...*ELECTRIC GUITAR BLAST STATION ID*...HI I'M THE SHOUTING GUY WITH A BEARD TO TELL YOU ABOUT SOME PLASTIC CRAP...

HankB

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2008, 08:15:18 AM »
HankB
Yeah; the Mexisoaps crack me up. It is usually a guy and gal staring "seriously" at each other in silence - and the other half of the show alot of shooting.   grin

Soccer . . . where most of the action takes place in the stands. (There was an episode of The Simpsons which illustrated this effect . . . )

I will say this about the Spanish-language channels: they have some real babes who don't need to speak in English . . . or in anything at all, for that matter.   (That's my diversity thought for the day. angel )

BTW, I hate Time Warner cable - they just switched their live radar weather to their "all digital" service, so now when I switch to Channel 44, I just get a notice that says they've switched.  angry
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2008, 11:12:04 AM »
Has anyone ever been truly happy with Comcast?

Exceedingly happy.   Three years ago my wife called them to cancel. 

The next day a tech was out in back yard fiddling with the cable box.  After he left, our cable still worked.  Mrs Scout called and said please turn off our cable, the CSR from Comcast said, "Yes, we got a call from one of your neighbors, the tech must have disconnected them by mistake.

The next day a different tech was out in back yard fiddling with the cable box.  After he left, our cable still worked.  Mrs Scout called and said please turn off our cable, the CSR from Comcast said, "Yes, we got a call from one of your neighbors, the tech must have disconnected them by mistake.

The next day a different tech was out in back yard fiddling with the cable box.  After he left, our cable still worked.  Mrs Scout called and said please turn off our cable, the CSR from Comcast said, "Yes, we got a call from one of your neighbors, the tech must have disconnected them by mistake.

The next day a different tech was out in back yard fiddling with the cable box.  After he left, our cable still worked.  We have not gotten a bill and Mrs. Scout has not called back since then.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
What's a comcast? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2008, 01:12:49 PM »
About 25 yards with no wind.

(rimshot)
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."