Author Topic: Serenity  (Read 8473 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Serenity
« on: April 10, 2010, 12:51:57 AM »
I just watched it again. 

It's beautiful. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Re: Serenity
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 01:18:04 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7idn3PcKBM

Miranda...

*summarily beats Fistful about the head and shoulders*

:laugh:

Yes, yes it is.  My copy's actually in my player right now, as a matter of fact.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 02:18:31 AM »
I just watched Out of Gas and Objects in Space (again!) tonight. 

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 02:48:09 AM »
I'm still mad that Whedon killed my favorite character off. Now I can't even hold onto the vainglorious hope of a sequel, cause without [favorite character] I don't want one.  =|
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 03:43:45 AM »
I just got Serenity on BluRay (had it on DVD for a few years).  Now to sit down and watch it...

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 11:35:27 AM »
Oh, sorry - wrong thread.  I thought it said "Senility"  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 01:20:37 PM »
Says the guy whose beard is in its thirties.   :laugh:

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 04:00:17 PM »
I'm still mad that Whedon killed my favorite character off. Now I can't even hold onto the vainglorious hope of a sequel, cause without [favorite character] I don't want one.  =|
Book, Wash or little kid taking the dirt nap with baby Jesus ??   :angel:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 04:02:09 PM »
SERENITY NOW!!
SERENITY NOW!!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 05:10:14 PM »
I just got Serenity on BluRay (had it on DVD for a few years).  Now to sit down and watch it...

CAN'T STOP THE SIGNAL.

Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 03:57:39 AM »
Book, Wash or little kid taking the dirt nap with baby Jesus ??   :angel:

Book, I knew he was gonna go eventually as soon as I figured out he was an Alliance general.  Wash tho, kinda a pointless way to go.  Apparently Whedon is big on killing off characters.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 10:20:09 AM »
Apparently Whedon is big on killing off characters.

And TV series.   :lol:

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 01:27:24 PM »
Fox killed the series not Whedon.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 01:50:04 PM »
Fox killed the series not Whedon.

Maybe more than you know.  Corporate interference guidance! forced Whedon to make certain concessions he didn't want.  Two that come to mind:  Fox demanded that the character of Mal be more jovial.  I think the movie shows the Mal that Whedon wanted.

A second example:  Fox wanted aliens to be introduced into the series.  It leaves me flabbergasted to realize the extent to which Fox was totally clueless about this show.  Fortunately, Whedon was able to resist that demand.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 02:14:49 PM »
Whedon compromised by adding space monkeys to The Train Job.   =)  Speaking of which, I can live with the more jovial Mal.  That whole scene was a gut-buster.   :laugh:

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 04:23:44 PM »
Adding aliens just seems silly.  They would need to be truly alien, essentially unknowable, or just humans with exaggerated traits of one kind or another, to essentially play out very human issues from a step remove.

Babylon 5 did it well but the whole point of the show was "an open city in space".  Firefly was all about people being people on a bigger canvas.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 06:14:32 PM »
Whedon compromised by adding space monkeys to The Train Job.   =) 
And "Dead Bessie" in The Message.  :laugh:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 11:57:57 AM »
What is very enjoyable about Firefly is getting to rewatch it with a group that has not seen the show before.  Then the inevitable "what now" after the final episode.

Thankfully Whedon made Serenity to provide some closure to the story, even though the fate of some is not what we expected or hoped for...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 01:08:26 PM »
And "Dead Bessie" in The Message.  :laugh:

You sure know how to show a guy a disgusting time.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 01:09:39 PM »
Book, I knew he was gonna go eventually as soon as I figured out he was an Alliance general.  Wash tho, kinda a pointless way to go.  Apparently Whedon is big on killing off characters.

I thought he was an "operative". Like well... the other "operative". (I don't think he's ever given a name...)

And as to B5 doing aliens "best" I tend to agree. Despite the "90's but still clinging to the 80's" design sensibility for interior sets and costuming, B5 did a pretty good job of having a wide array of aliens, and even taking a brave occasional stab at some non humanoid ones.

Granted the Narn, Centauri, and Minbari are pretty much Star-Trek classic "rubber butt on head of the week" type of aliens, But they they did an okay job of making them part of the "younger races" club at least, and using them as plot devices to portray extreme ends of human virtues and vices.
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 04:48:04 PM »

I thought he was an "operative". Like well... the other "operative". (I don't think he's ever given a name...)

Even if he was a former operative, he wouldn't have gotten the first class medical treatment that fast and discreetly, with no questions asked.  Book was a soldier, not an assassin.  Book wasn't brainwashed into a particular ideology, he had too much military history knowledge, wasn't supremely skilled with weapons or martial arts, does not have combat reflexes, does have knowledge of tactics and strategy, etc.  He wasn't a line soldier, otherwise the morality of killing the cop wouldn't have bothered him for a second and he wouldn't have known about the operatives.  Has "retired high brass" written all over him. 

The series never gave any hints, but if I had to make a shot in the dark...  I'd bet a dollar that if the show had not been canceled, we would have found out Book was Alliance brass at the Battle of Serenity Valley.

Either way, we'll find out soon enough.  "Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale" comic is coming out.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2010, 05:42:50 PM »
Killing off Wash was Alan Tudyk's idea and pressed it on Whedon.  He regretted it shortly after (probably when he got stabbed, looked painful).

Book was probably my least favorite character in the show.
I always detest characters like him.
It goes like this:
Leader of group kills an enemy that is trying to kill everyone on the ship.  The enemy person is holding a gun to someone or holding a button of a self destruct switch.  Leader guy does what's best and puts him down.
Moral character chimes in "killing is WRONG how could you KILL IN COLD BLOOD that enemy person?!?"
grrr
First episode of Firefly decided my hate of him, and it continued.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 08:48:18 PM »
What about Ron Glass's terrible acting?  Or Book's smarmy, fuzzy-wuzzy religiousity? 

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 09:18:35 PM »
What about Ron Glass's terrible acting?  Or Book's smarmy, fuzzy-wuzzy religiousity? 
His acting was pretty mediocre.  It wasn't his religiousity that got on my nerves but his annoying the other characters and me for self defense.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.