Author Topic: Canadian G20 Protestors  (Read 8466 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Canadian G20 Protestors
« on: June 28, 2010, 06:44:04 PM »
Are these protestors all just hippie pinko commies, going after capitalists?

Or are they libertarian troofer basement dwellers, going after the Build-a-burgers?

I'm not hearing much about them on the nooz like they normally get, and the YouTube videos are all very short and make the police out to be JBTstormtrupenNazis. 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Canadian G20 Protestors
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 09:11:36 AM »
Are these protestors all just hippie pinko commies, going after capitalists?

Or are they libertarian troofer basement dwellers, going after the Build-a-burgers?

I'm not hearing much about them on the nooz like they normally get, and the YouTube videos are all very short and make the police out to be JBTstormtrupenNazis. 

Alex, I'll take Pinko Commies for a thousand. 

libertarians, at least true believers, are fine with big business.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 11:02:37 AM »
Real libertarians, yes.

But the troofer basement dwelling types (there IS a separate subclass of these, kind of like retarded Morlocks without any teeth) can pick odd causes.  Just wondering if they are here in any sizable numbers.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 11:07:32 AM »
Real libertarians, yes.

But the troofer basement dwelling types (there IS a separate subclass of these, kind of like retarded Morlocks without any teeth) can pick odd causes.  Just wondering if they are here in any sizable numbers.

I don't see the troofer basement types trading WoW time for protesting, though.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 12:10:08 PM »
I would believe it's more of the evil anarchist type, but I haven't heard much about it.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 01:10:57 PM »
Apparently Canadian cops have found a bunch of caches of bricks (rocks, chunks of concrete etc) on building tops along routes likely to be taken by cops. Protestors getting ready. :( Bastard anarchist/communist rioters, destroying property and hurting people for no damn reason.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 02:24:34 PM »
libertarians, at least true believers, are fine with big business.]

Milton Friedman, Ayn Rand, and Ludwig von Mises would be very surprised to hear this.

Big Business =/= free markets.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 02:29:09 PM »
Milton Friedman, Ayn Rand, and Ludwig von Mises would be very surprised to hear this.

True, but neither is it an exclusionary trait.

Big business may be a result of free markets, though. Standard Oil became "big business" because it delievered the best and cheapest product (yes, both) to the market. As a result, it outcompeted all other business.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 02:57:46 PM »

Free markets can and do spawn big business.  I am of course not referring to big business spawned as a result of crony capitalisim. 
Why would any libertarian be opposed to a business growing big as a result of competition?????
JD

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 03:29:25 PM »
Big companies asking for (and) receiving privileges and laws that benefit them against their competitors is a common fact of life in a modern state. When I met MEP Hannan, he explained that this goes on all the time in the European Union as well.

The Bilderberg Hotel conferences are interesting in this case. Obviously there's no conspiracy in the sense to which the less-bright refer to it, but the fact is that there is a... socially-interconnected elite to which people such as those who attend these conferences belong. Some of these people are CEOs of well-placed companies, others are government leaders or intellectuals. I do not mean to say that they are conspiring in the common sense, of course.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 03:40:03 PM »
Big companies asking for (and) receiving privileges and laws that benefit them against their competitors is a common fact of life in a modern state.

So is welfare. Doesn't mean either are inevitable.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 03:41:24 PM »
So is welfare. Doesn't mean either are inevitable.

It's a consequence of how big modern government is.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 03:46:42 PM »

DING DING DING DING DING

All the so called problems with big business aren't business problems. They are governance problems.

The rules of the game are SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than the players in this case.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 05:28:22 PM »

Big modern government and being cosy with corporations isn't a free market.  That is crony capitalisim. 
Government being able to willy nilly write rules, regulations and restrictions that favor large established corporations does not mean that without those favoritisims that large corporations wouldn't still exisit.
JD

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 05:31:19 PM »
I was in the 'Battle of Seattle' during the 1999 WTO meeting.  My office building was right downtown in the middle of the riots.  Most of the protestors who dress like ninjas and break things seemed to style themselves as anarchists.  From what I remember reading in the paper for some of their interviews, they seemed to have a weak grasp on the true meaning of anarchy. 

I did, however, love the women dressed up in the sea turtle costumes!  They could entangle themselves in my drift net any day.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 06:25:02 PM »

Canadian G20 Protestors

Am I the only one to think?:
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 11:18:05 PM »
DING DING DING DING DING

All the so called problems with big business aren't business problems. They are governance problems.

The rules of the game are SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than the players in this case.

So why wouldn't one protest the biggest global conference of big govermnents, big-government politicians, and their pals? Or do you genuinely think the issues they're discussing are how to make us all freer?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 01:28:43 AM »
So why wouldn't one protest the biggest global conference of big govermnents, big-government politicians, and their pals? Or do you genuinely think the issues they're discussing are how to make us all freer?

Yeah! Let's all protest by breaking other people's stuff!  Smash some windows!  Torch some privately owned vehicles!! Yeah, that's showing the man!!
JD

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 07:32:26 AM »
Yeah! Let's all protest by breaking other people's stuff!  Smash some windows!  Torch some privately owned vehicles!! Yeah, that's showing the man!!

So the people who get gassed and beaten and shot with rubber bullets and subjected to hearing-damaging devices at these protests are all, or even mostly, black-clad ninjas who are doing the vandalizing and molotov-cocktail-throwing?  Not so, and in a few cases in past protests, there has been reasonably convincing evidence of police planting agent provocateurs who then participate in the illegal activities.

The cost of security in Toronto for the G-8 and G-20 was roughly $1 billion.  Windows still got smashed, cars still got burned, but not to worry I guess... the conference itself went on undisturbed.

If that's option A, I think just about any option B would be preferable, regardless of who's at fault for causing the damage or making the government think it needs that much security.  It's not like these sorts of protests are unforeseen.  How about teleconferencing?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 07:43:14 AM by tyme »
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 10:18:49 AM »
reasonably convincing

lol >:D
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 10:41:17 AM »
One big reason for the rioting and breaking of windows is to draw most of the police presence away from the conference so the other protesters can do there thing. Also for the most part they attack the "big business".

reasonably convincing

lol  >:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWbgnyUCC7M
Took me a while to find it since most of the stuff is now about the G20 but here it is.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 10:45:34 AM »
You show up at a riot, you deserve what you get.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 10:48:12 AM »
Yeah, damn Founding Fathers should of been put in shackles and beaten.  ;/

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 10:50:02 AM »
Founding Fathers spend a lot of time destroying the property of other colonists?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 10:54:27 AM »
One big reason for the rioting and breaking of windows is to draw most of the police presence away from the conference so the other protesters can do there thing. Also for the most part they attack the "big business".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWbgnyUCC7M
Took me a while to find it since most of the stuff is now about the G20 but here it is.

so where werre these guys inciting violence? surely someone has it on a cellphone cam
bueller?  anyone?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I