Author Topic: Help me buy a gazebo  (Read 8452 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Help me buy a gazebo
« on: December 12, 2010, 12:01:13 AM »
When my wife and I decided to move to the south, one of the prerequisites for a house was that it have a porch so that she could have a "true" southern home. Well, as it turns out, the house we bought does not have a wraparound porch or even a long porch. It has an attractive brick arch over a cove that is the front stoop.

My wife said that she'd take a gazebo in place of the porch. I think she was kidding when she said it, but I've been looking online. They are not cheap. Lowes has an assemble-it-yourself model for $1800, but that's just for the wooden gazebo. The concrete slab (or whatever floor is used) is not included.

Prices go up from there.

A few weeks ago I went shooting at a range about 70 miles from here and passed a house that had a gazebo in the front yard with a for sale sign on it. I called the owner, and he's a woodworker (amongst other things), and builds gazebo's. This one is a demo model, so it's not painted. He said he'd sell it to me for $1000 plus the cost to get it to my place on a trailer. We haven't figured out what that cost will be.

I took a trip over there today to inspect it again. It's solid, but it doesn't have some of the fancy decorative wood pieces that the box store models have.

So. I'm trying to figure out what to offer the guy. I've never bought a gazebo before. The photo before is from today.

Any suggestions as to what to offer?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Help me buy a gazebo
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 12:06:52 AM »
I'd probably offer $1000 delivered.

Other than that, I have nothing to add.
Formerly sumpnz

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 12:12:52 AM »
Luckily, octagonal structures are pretty easy.. it's all 45 degree cuts.  =D
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 12:30:15 AM »
I only ask all this because I have no experience buying a gazebo or, for that matter, any wooden piece of exterior  construction except a house. I don't know how many hours it took to build, nor the material costs.

I know it's a shot in the dark to ask about this, but with the sometimes surprising range of experience here on APS, it's possible we have a gazebo expert.

AJ, I flunked wood shop. The instructor gave me a D so as not to screw up my chances for a scholarship.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 12:36:07 AM »
It's solid, but it doesn't have some of the fancy decorative wood pieces that the box store models have.
You mean lattice?

1k sounds reasonable. Otherwise you would spend a great deal of time and copious profanity in building that thing.

Luckily, octagonal structures are pretty easy.. it's all 45 degree cuts.  =D
This, like the cake, is a lie. :lol:

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 12:48:18 AM »
Does it matter? I knew he has zero intention of making one.  :laugh:

Fine 22 1/2 degrees then. $99 miter saw from Home Despot will have a setting for it in it's swivel fence.
I promise not to duck.

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 12:51:11 AM »
I have experience w/carpentry and I believe it could be built for less than $500 by a newbie and I'll bet you could find a precut kit for about that local to your area ... jmho
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 12:55:36 AM »
Well, this is probably what it would look like if I made it and did a good job, even if the pieces were pre-cut. ;)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 01:04:07 AM »
You must be related to my wife's cousin.  He's trying to build a gazebo/hot tub enclosure.  It's not been going well.  Good thing there's other cousins/uncles that actually know what the heck they're doing with construction.
Formerly sumpnz

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 01:20:16 AM »
You must be related to my wife's cousin.  He's trying to build a gazebo/hot tub enclosure.  It's not been going well.  Good thing there's other cousins/uncles that actually know what the heck they're doing with construction.

If your wife is the cousin to one of the sons of my mother's sisters, you may be on to something. ;)

The guy told me he had $1100 in materials in the thing. I may not be able to hammer two boards together, but I've seen lumber prices, and know that there's not $1100 in lumber in that thing. If the guy is doing it for a living, though, he has to make something on the deal.

I still have to figure out how to take down part of our fence to get it in the backyard. Before I get to that point, though, I have to figure out how to be 100% certain my wife will like it. I'm 99% certain, but it's that 1% that always trips me up.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 08:30:01 AM »
IMHO that one is not big enough for more than 3 people

if you are in there in the rain, theres no overhang either
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 08:31:23 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 09:10:40 AM »
check out this badboy:
http://www.vadeck.com/Deck-Porch-Guide1.htm

did a nice one from an amish built company like that  14 foot across   prepainted with screens and a door  pre wired for fan and light.  the kit was 5600 bucks delivered 7 years ago  and it was very nice  a bargain
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 09:17:21 AM »
Well, this is probably what it would look like if I made it and did a good job, even if the pieces were pre-cut. ;)

Where'd you find the pic of my old tree fort?  :lol:

I'd say $1000 seems fair to me. It looks like it's all pressure treated. I can't recall anymore. Old PT is bad but the new stuff is ok? What was it, arsenic they were using?

Don't you have any gazebo/shed manufacturring places near you? Like a bigger shop might have more of a selection, better prices etc.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 11:36:47 AM »
Those $5000+ gazebos are really nice, but waaaayyyyy outside my price range.

280plus, near as I can tell there aren't any places in the area that make gazebos, although I'll look on Monday. This guy I found is the only one so far.

It will obviously look much nicer with paint, and I can add some decorative pieces if need be.

I guess starting at $1000 delivered would be a good idea. Even if there's $200-$300 in materials in the thing (which is possible), that leaves $700-$800 for delivery and his labor. Figure $200 for delivery and he's making $500 to $600. That's not a lot. Hell, I know I'd wind up paying someone that much to assemble one of the DIY models from Lowes.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 12:12:01 PM »
Those $5000+ gazebos are really nice, but waaaayyyyy outside my price range.

280plus, near as I can tell there aren't any places in the area that make gazebos, although I'll look on Monday. This guy I found is the only one so far.

It will obviously look much nicer with paint, and I can add some decorative pieces if need be.

I guess starting at $1000 delivered would be a good idea. Even if there's $200-$300 in materials in the thing (which is possible), that leaves $700-$800 for delivery and his labor. Figure $200 for delivery and he's making $500 to $600. That's not a lot. Hell, I know I'd wind up paying someone that much to assemble one of the DIY models from Lowes.

the 4 x4 uprights are about 10 bucks apiece  premium deckboards are aboot 1.50 - 1.25 a linear foot
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 01:23:59 PM »
Even if there's $200-$300 in materials in the thing (which is possible)

???

There's $200-$300 in material before you get a foot off the dirt.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 01:29:44 PM »
There's $200-$300 in material before you get a foot off the dirt.

See? I told you I was a genius with wood. ;)

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 02:40:39 PM »
See? I told you I was a genius with wood. ;)
hey nowwww...  :O

Some thing are better left unsaid.  =D

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 03:02:06 PM »
Here's one my dad built back in the 1980s:

The columns were salvaged from an old hospital, the rest he built from scratch.  This was a man who built houses as a hobby though.  This picture was taken at mom's estate auction back in June.

The house is still for sale if someone wants a ready-made gazebo.  =D

Oh, and I imagine it would cost more than $1000 to build this one.

CNYCacher

• friend
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 03:13:03 PM »
Larry, CNYCacher, those are both beautiful. Your fathers are artisans.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 04:27:46 PM »
I like the use of old stuff. Once there was this old house and barn being torn town. In the backyard was the original outhouse and next to it were these 2 - 10' long ~2' diameter red stone columns just laying in the grass. We concluded they were like a poured terra cotta. There was all kind of talk of salvaging them but I didn't stick around long enough at that job to see what became of them. I do recall making big points with the head cheese. He asked me, "Is there anything over there that might look good on my lawn?" I said, Well, there's this outhouse..."  :laugh:

Yea, I'm good for stuff like that. I'm trying to do better. It's a matter of engage brain THEN mouth sometimes. I do have fun though.  >:D

erictank

• friends
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 05:02:08 PM »
Just make sure you get the right one... http://www.dreadgazebo.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=8

Vocabulary are our friend...  :laugh: "What's a gazebo?"

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2010, 05:08:52 PM »
Dick, since you've bit off on the southron thingy pretty bad you might as well go all in and plan for a hot tub.  Typically a hot tub is on the porch adjacent to you trailer but since you've gone upscale I think you can get a waver on your southron card for going with a gazebo.  The only adder you'll need is a gun rack and a short fridge for beer and such.  =D

I seem to remember PBS' Yankee Workshop This Old House did a series on building a gazebo.  If I remember correctly it was not something for ham-fisted artisans.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,322701,00.html
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 05:25:30 PM by Waitone »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon