Author Topic: When did AK's get more expensive than damn AR's?  (Read 8410 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
When did AK's get more expensive than damn AR's?
« on: July 25, 2011, 07:38:29 PM »
This is getting ridiculous. The crap tastic CAI imports are barely less than a brand new low end AR, and decent examples are as much as mid-range AR's. What happened to my cheap Commie gun?  :mad:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: When did AK's get more expensive than damn AR's?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 07:44:19 PM »
This is getting ridiculous. The crap tastic CAI imports are barely less than a brand new low end AR, and decent examples are as much as mid-range AR's. What happened to my cheap Commie gun?  :mad:

TIKIWIKI.

Gabe Suarez.

Teh Revolooshun.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 07:53:45 PM »
They were cheap because they were "Surplus"  not that the surplus has run out, not as many are getting made/imported as before.

Also the AR now seems to rifle of choice for all the various flavors of tactical type sport shooting.   And even farking Mossberg is coming out with one.

Supply & Demand, where the lines cross = price. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 08:03:39 PM »
Is this store pricing?

There's still lots of AK options out there for under $500. Just go somewhere like Atlantic Firearms and check them out. Not as many as there used to be, but there's still several options.

There are indeed many more AK's above $500, but that's due to the requirements of new barrels, parts-kits drying up, and the weak dollar. Also, some of the four-figure ones are from choice Bulgarian or Yugoslavian builders that have very good fit/finish. Or are actual Arsenal USA built which are actually built here in Nevada. And Atlantic and others also carry AK's re-worked or built up by other premium builders/AK-smiths, Like Red Jacket Firearms. (From the somewhat herp-derp "Sons of Guns" show on cable TV)

And K-Var/Arsenal USA has never been shy about their pricing.
I promise not to duck.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 10:22:13 PM »
I was talking about the local used market akshully. Between shipping, ffl transfer fees, and the asinine WA state sales tax on guns bought out of state even the just under $400 Saigas are well over $500 by the time I can get them.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 01:28:52 AM »
Yeesh! I grabbed a 5.45 Saiga for a friend. Total, after shipping and FFL fee, was still only ~$350. I'm sorry to hear that AKs are so expensive for you, they're a real joy.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 11:11:18 AM »
Yeesh! I grabbed a 5.45 Saiga for a friend. Total, after shipping and FFL fee, was still only ~$350. I'm sorry to hear that AKs are so expensive for you, they're a real joy.

Yeah, it's odd. I did see a minty Arsenal with a bunch of mags and a couple cases of ammo for like $800 locally, but I didn't see it soon enough. :( Still kicking myself for missing it.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 11:13:20 AM »
What are the laws regarding buying a rifle in person, in a state that I am not a resident of? If I was on a roadtrip in Idaho or Montana or something and went to a gun show, would I legally be able to buy a rifle?

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 11:24:18 AM »
From the ATF FAQ Page:

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#out-of-state-firearm

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 11:51:17 AM »
What are the laws regarding buying a rifle in person, in a state that I am not a resident of? If I was on a roadtrip in Idaho or Montana or something and went to a gun show, would I legally be able to buy a rifle?
In short, you can do it from a dealer but not an individual.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 12:12:09 PM »
Paid any attention to the price of SKS's recently? These are still surplus, but seem to be going for $300 - $400.  :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 02:57:47 PM »
Thanks for the referrences guys. Might have to start planning a vacation to some place with better gun prices...  ;)

Out of curiousity, would a private sale done through a dealer as a consignment be legal? I realize it'd increase the price by %x for the dealer's commission, bt still might be worth it.

henschman

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 03:48:39 PM »
Yes, it would be legal to buy a gun in a neighboring state if the transfer goes through an FFL holder. 
“Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual.”
-- Thomas Jefferson

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 07:12:46 PM »
"licensee’s premises"

"In short, you can do it from a dealer but not an individual."

Is a gun show table his "premises?"

Are there any "pulled out of their hat" rules or definitions on that? 
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 07:20:52 PM »
I wonder if a gunsmith who does conversion work would order one at their (presumably) discounted price, do the conversion for me, then sell it to me for cost+shipping+conversion fee? Is that a standard practice, or at least something I might talk a friendly smith into doing?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 07:29:29 PM »
There's AK's, then there's AK's.  Romanian, Yugo, Russian, Saiga, CAI-rebuilds...

Same thing for AR's.

Good AK's go for about the same price point as new bottom-bucket AR's.  Dealer-special lowers (plum crazy, cavalry arms, inexpensive aluminum offerings) and a lowest-tier parts kit, coupled with an inexpensive upper will get you out to the range for $600 + cost of mags.  Or you can let Century rebuild a 1:12 twist Colt/FN upper onto a new bottom-end lower for $630 @ J&G.

But AK's can still be found for less than that bucket-o-parts lowest common denominator AR.

J&G is still selling Romanian WASR's for $400 to $450 depending on quality, or SKS's for as low as $270.

You ought to head down here, Balog.  Come with a couple grand, head to J&G, pick up a new AK or 3, and a few cases of ammo.  Get yourself on that nice, shiny ATF "watch list" they're mocking up for the 4 border States. >:D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 07:32:33 PM »
When I got back from Iraq I was still legally an AZ resident. Made a road trip to JG with some of that deployment money. Good times. :)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 07:37:09 PM »
When I got back from Iraq I was still legally an AZ resident. Made a road trip to JG with some of that deployment money. Good times. :)

Come on down.

I need a Smith model 64 surplus to go with my 65, and I can play at my Ed McGivern with a pair of K-frames. =D  We'll make a road trip up there, then find a nice sandy hole to act as a backstop for some shooting.
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 07:39:14 PM »
Come on down.

I need a Smith model 64 surplus to go with my 65, and I can play at my Ed McGivern with a pair of K-frames. =D  We'll make a road trip up there, then find a nice sandy hole to act as a backstop for some shooting.

I've been avoiding AZ like the plague because, frankly, I don't want to see my biological family and they all live there. Still, you make a convincing argument...

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 09:10:54 PM »
"licensee’s premises"

"In short, you can do it from a dealer but not an individual."

Is a gun show table his "premises?"

Are there any "pulled out of their hat" rules or definitions on that? 

Yikes!  Glad I never went to an out-of-state gun show.  Although i would hope the dealer would know. . .
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 06:16:20 PM »
I wonder if a gunsmith who does conversion work would order one at their (presumably) discounted price, do the conversion for me, then sell it to me for cost+shipping+conversion fee? Is that a standard practice, or at least something I might talk a friendly smith into doing?

Emailed a local smith about this, haven't heard back. :/

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 08:34:24 PM »
You are in WA, IIRC. Why not join the Washington Arms Collectors?  A good show every month in Puyallup and one in Monroe also. Lots of guns, some junk, some really nice- like a .275 H+H double rifle.....finding an AK would be no problem, even if you don't find the right one it is a lot of fun looking!

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 09:13:01 PM »
I probably should. My last few gun show experiences have been heavy on the junk and dealers selling for more than their brick and mortar location, and light on anything decent. Might be worth a try though.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 09:30:51 PM »
I'm not clear on the thread above, what kind of "conversion" are you looking to have done?

Do you mean a Saiga?

If you're looking at a Saiga as a low cost path to a quality AK, and don't care about the gas block, FSB, and fore end matching a proper military AK, and just want a pistol grip and AK magazines, a conversion is dirt easy, and can be done competently with just a hand drill, a dremel, or a file and hacksaw.

My S-12 conversion was literally a 3-4 hour project. Not counting time to go back and do paint touch-up, and throw some red Loctite on the various screws and bolts once I was satisfied with it's function.

I spent more time wrestling with the fire control parts than I did with the cutting and drilling. And had I gone on YouTube and figured out the tricks to getting the Saiga bolt-hold-open retainer spring in, it would have been more like a two hour project.  =D

I promise not to duck.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 09:40:02 PM »
Yep, Saiga that is 922r compliant, pistol gripped, and accepts normal AK mags. I was hoping the lower ffl price and lack of transfer fees would off set the conversion fee. P'raps not though...