Author Topic: Upgrade Old Maglights (and others) To LED! Give Them New Life!  (Read 8475 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Upgrade Old Maglights (and others) To LED! Give Them New Life!
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 12:44:49 AM »
That's the one new thing learned for today.

I read that cheaper 6V batteries use D cells, with the rest being filler space.  Same deal with larger rechargable batteries - C and D cell rechargables might not be using all the space available and only have a 'sub-c' cell inside, or even just a AA.

Remember the gun related definition of 'battery'?  Same deal, the single electrical device known as a 'battery' can consist of one or more cells hooked up in series, so you add the voltages together. 

Zinc(heavy duty), Alkaline: 1.5V per cell
Lithium: 3V
NiCd, NiMH: 1.2V
Lead-acid: 2.1 (Car battery is 6 cells)
LiIon: 3.6, but unstable, requires power management. 
For example, your standard 9v uses a stack of 6 battery cells.  They're so tiny that the packaging takes up more space than the internals that generate electricity, so a 9V(22.5cm^3,5wh) doesn't actually hold as much power as a similarly sized C cell(27cm^3,12wh).   A rechargable 9V will use 7.  A lithium one only needs 3 cells, which is part of the reason why it has so much more capacity(11wh).

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 01:56:19 PM »
The contacts in the railroad lantern are fixed in place, with the center contact in the middle, the outer contact a brass/copper ring.

So it's looking like I just get one of these and either rewire it, or put the D-Cells in backwards:

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 04:04:52 PM »
If the polarity is backwards, does the bulb go off when you turn it on, and on when you turn it off  ???

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 04:25:04 PM »
For my 2 and 3 D-Cell Mag Lights, I used the TerraLUX conversions.  They've been bright and strong for several years now, and I'm sure Cree has upgraded the output power since then.

http://www.amazon.com/TerraLUX-TLE-6EXB-MiniStar5-Conversion-MagLites/dp/B001I9TI4Q/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1386642136&sr=8-5&keywords=Cree+3+watt 

Dang.  I have a few 2D & 3D mag lights that I converted to LED quite a few years ago.  They aren't anywhere this powerful.  I may have to order one and see how much of a difference it makes.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2013, 06:13:31 PM »
If the polarity is backwards, does the bulb go off when you turn it on, and on when you turn it off  ???

=D

It works, but it sucks in light rather than emitting it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 06:21:42 PM »
It works, but it sucks in light rather than emitting it.

Brad

Professor Dumbledore did that first, with the Deluminator.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2013, 07:29:57 PM »
Meh....

My vote goes for Malkoff.

I have two Malkoff Maglight conversion units, one a 2-cell and one a 4-cell.
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/

Both will light up just about anything at 300 yards.

"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2013, 08:11:56 PM »
Meh....

The gold standard by far.
I promise not to duck.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 10:06:53 PM »
Meh....

Nice but, at $39 for a 2D, it's a bit salty. How much is a Maglight worth?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2013, 11:59:43 PM »
Most Malkoff combinations will perform like a light that costs $100 maybe more. And a Maglight body, other than being Type II anodizing, rather than HA-Type III, is still going to be one of the most bombproof indestructable hosts.

And despite all the newer tiny AA and CR123 wonder lights, the extra mAh in big D batteries will run the efficient LED's that much longer. And of course there's still the versatility as an impact weapon.

Keep in mind that people upgrade Surefires with Malkoff inserts.
I promise not to duck.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 08:57:55 AM »
Most Malkoff combinations will perform like a light that costs $100 maybe more. And a Maglight body, other than being Type II anodizing, rather than HA-Type III, is still going to be one of the most bombproof indestructable hosts.

And despite all the newer tiny AA and CR123 wonder lights, the extra mAh in big D batteries will run the efficient LED's that much longer. And of course there's still the versatility as an impact weapon.

Keep in mind that people upgrade Surefires with Malkoff inserts.

Nice but, I'm not interested in buying over $100 flashlights myself. It looks like, with module, reflectors, adapters etc, the costs for conversion would still be out of my range.

Thanks for the information.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2013, 09:18:35 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/TerraLUX-TLE-6EXB-MiniStar5-Conversion-MagLites/dp/B001I9TI4Q/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1386642136&sr=8-5&keywords=Cree+3+watt
I was sort of negative on the idea of upgrading any of the piece of crap mag lites I used to have, but 140 lumens for a $20 upgrade sounds good.  I actually have a couple of $100+ flashlights, but they are powerful pocket size lights, not clubs in disguise.  It is illegal to carry a club in your vehicle in Texas, but it is not illegal to carry a big, heavy flashlight. 

However, it has been a while since I even looked at my big D cell mag light.  I don't even know if I still have it.  If I do, I am afraid the batteries probably leaked and corroded the hell out of it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2013, 09:56:21 AM »
Nice but, I'm not interested in buying over $100 flashlights myself. It looks like, with module, reflectors, adapters etc, the costs for conversion would still be out of my range.

Thanks for the information.

There's still tons of super cheapy Chinese lights that will blow you away if you haven't played with one that's over 100 lumens. My one piece of advice, don't be afraid of CR123 batteries. They're vastly superior to Alkalines, and only $1 each or a little less online at places like Batteryjunction and Batterystation.
I promise not to duck.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2013, 07:03:33 PM »
Just installed the Malkoff drop-in module for my 2-D Maglite.

In a word: wow.

Easy conversion and great results.  Since it's an older model Maglite, I had to get the adapter sleeve as well.  Still worth it.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2013, 08:24:39 PM »
I just popped the Terralux conversion into my 3D cell. Very nice! It's not just a Shillelagh anymore!  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2013, 08:31:57 PM »
Nice but, at $39 for a 2D, it's a bit salty. How much is a Maglight worth?

Plus $12 for a new reflector to match the new light source. Plus another adapter if your MagLite doesn't have a 'D' in the serial number.

It's cheaper to just buy a new LED MagLite.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2013, 10:24:40 PM »
Plus $12 for a new reflector to match the new light source. Plus another adapter if your MagLite doesn't have a 'D' in the serial number.

That's what I was thinking.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2013, 10:56:24 PM »
Plus $12 for a new reflector to match the new light source.

The existing reflector can be easily modified.  Takes about a minute with a Dremel.

How does the output of an LED Maglite compare with the Malkoff conversion?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2013, 10:24:31 AM »
The existing reflector can be easily modified.  Takes about a minute with a Dremel.

So now I have to buy a Dremel too?  :P

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2013, 10:34:45 AM »
How does the output of an LED Maglite compare with the Malkoff conversion?

I guess going expensive (and admittedly better) depends on your use of the light. I went to the Terralux conversion because it was a cheap way to more than double the lumens of a light I mostly use for utility stuff, like poking around the attic, under sinks, etc. Personally, for "tactical" stuff, I have come to prefer the very light, small, and powerful Surefires and Streamlights.

On the other hand, I just bought my niece a 3D Maglite for Christmas because she wanted one to keep in her car, mostly for the club-like quality Maglites are known for. After looking at the Malkoff conversion, I am now seriously considering spending the ducats to get that for her, so that she has both a club and a 300 lumen light to potentially deter trouble before it gets into club range, which, without her having training in club use, is a very last resort defensively. That's worth more than what a stock Maglite costs.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2013, 11:00:53 PM »
FWIW, I picked up a pair of 2D LED Maglites at teh Lowes today for $15 each.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.