Author Topic: Lifehacker weighs in on the five best EDC knives  (Read 8422 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Lifehacker weighs in on the five best EDC knives
« on: April 26, 2015, 02:38:02 PM »
http://lifehacker.com/five-best-everyday-carry-knives-1700075192?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+lifehacker%2Ffull+%28Lifehacker%29

Nowadays, a Leatherman Wingman is in my NiteIze smartphone carry case, and a Benchmade triage is riding in my front left pocket.  I on occasion carry a Victorinox Rescue Tool or a Kershaw Cryo instead. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Lifehacker weighs in on the five best EDC knives
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 02:43:17 PM »
Interesting. I own variants of three out of the five listed.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 02:50:28 PM »
Crap.
I'm "trendy".
I'm packing A Kershaw Leek.
may have to reevaluate my choices.

Naw, it's a decent little knife.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 02:53:42 PM »
Lifehacker, whoever he is, seems to have a pretty limited view of what is out there in the knife world.    =D

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 03:24:03 PM »
I dislike best of lists because they are invariably colored by the writer's world and choices. All 5 listed are not hard use knives and how could you make a top 5 list and not include a SAK?  I tend to carry at least 2 knives, one a good cutter and the other while sharp must be one-handed, positive locking and have the blade geometry of a prybar.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 03:35:10 PM »
I dislike best of lists because they are invariably colored by the writer's world and choices. All 5 listed are not hard use knives and how could you make a top 5 list and not include a SAK?  

Yes to that.

I've carried tacticoolish sharp pointy things.  They're just not as practical as my SAK Deluxe Tinker.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 05:51:15 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 04:00:34 PM »
As the article notes, the five best knives were selected by the number of votes to an online survey.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 04:10:01 PM »
These types of ratings are foolish. The worst sharp knife beats the best dull knife any day.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 04:39:05 PM »
Before I started carrying an automatic knife, I carried a CKRT M16, which was rated "runner up" in the survey.

But personally, IMHO, SO many of the EDC-suitable knives on the market are minor variations on a theme, that surveys like this are pretty useless.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 08:04:23 PM »
They didn't choose my current favorite so they are wrong.

For the record, the Spyderco Byrd series Meadowlark2 is a darn fine stand in for a Delica. The blade is a little thinner (actually an advantage in some cases) but at a third the cost I was sold. My Delica is ten years old and the tip has gotten a little rounded. I will probably regrind the blade, but the Meadowlark can fill the pocket until then. I like the thin, smooth stainless grip. Doesn't shred pockets or take up much space.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 08:58:19 PM »
I have a Leek and several CRKT M16 variants around here.  My current EDC is the Gerber Propel Auto.  I know it sucks that you need credentials to get the auto, but it's a tough knige that I've been abusing for a while now and holds an edge.  I sometimes also grab my Benchmade Auto APB 6800

Like scopes, while there are some fine <$50 knives, you also get what you pay for.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 11:18:04 PM »
Don't really know much about what's out there in the knife world. I always have a CRKT Mini My Tighe on me. It has served me well for cutting things.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 08:31:34 AM »
Fail.
No mention of Spyderco Delica.
They mentioned the endura 4 wave- its too big for EDC and has a lousy grind profile.
The lack of Benchmade griptillion on the list makes me not take the author seriously.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 09:16:07 AM »
These types of ratings are foolish. The worst sharp knife beats the best dull knife any day.

Sharpen?  Just buy a new one.   :P

I guess I don't use my carry knife enough to dull it down.  It looks a lot like the Gerber mentioned.  It got it becaseu it looked light, compact, and had the serrations.  Some of these and the honorable mentions look good. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 12:00:52 PM »
 That would get expensive. I use mine many times a day.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 01:37:53 PM »
Leatherman Blast in the bag, SOG Twitch II clipped in a pocket with the end sticking out for quick and easy access.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 03:28:15 PM »
Back in Middle school, before I could afford a Buck 101, I had an Opinal (like the one pictured) for several years.  I loved it.  And it seemed like every time I had saved up enough to buy the Buck, some other shiny would come along, and I'd simply soldier on with the Opinal.

I want to say it was around Junior year in HS before I finally saved enough to by the Buck.   

I wish I would have seen this when I was in Indy.  I would have looked around to see if the Opinal was still there, somewhere.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 06:47:42 PM »
Fail.
No mention of Spyderco Delica.
They mentioned the endura 4 wave- its too big for EDC and has a lousy grind profile.

I would disqualify most of the knives as having blades too short (but also for unsatisfactory blade profile). I don't understand why people think that a 3-1/2" to 4" folder is in any way a "big knife," when it's no larger than a common table knife or steak knife. (Especially when you fold it in half, for carry.) They also have handles that are very appropriately sized. They are also a small to medium sized knife, when compared to most fixed-blade knives.

???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 07:28:01 PM »
^^^I wonder if it is a function of knife laws.  For example, Washington state does not have uniform knife laws, and so each county and/or city or town can create their own knife laws, usually having to do with blade length.  I most commonly carry a 3.5" Benchmade triage, and that is illegal in the city that I work, but is not illegal in the unincorporated county that I live or some of the other cities that I travel to for work.   In this area, pretty much everything up to 3" is legal almost everywhere, and everything over 3.5" is illegal almost everywhere.  So based on that, I can see how someone would think that a 4" knife is a 'big blade'.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 07:35:24 PM »
Does your CCW not cover knives?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2015, 07:35:45 PM »
My first reaction was to say that the knife laws must have come from the idea that 4" knife blades are large, and not the other way around.

But I could see how anything above a certain size might be considered more useful as a weapon, and they might be outlawed for that reason.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2015, 07:37:40 PM »

Missouri's CCW used to be ambiguous, but it wasn't considered wise to rely on it to cover a knife. I think it was recently clarified, so that the CCW now explicitly covers guns, and nothing else.  :facepalm:

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 07:43:36 PM »
Bummer.  It would seem logical that if you can carry a gun, pretty much any knife you can strap on would be a downgrade.  I know logic and .gov.

FL is a "License to carry concealed weapon or firearm".  It hadn't occurred to me that some states would limit it to only handguns.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 07:50:04 PM »
It hadn't occurred to me that some states would limit it to only handguns.

You're not an idiot.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 07:56:08 PM »

Washington state does not.  When I got my first carry permit, in 1981 in Seattle, the state permit was called a 'CCW' for 'carry concealed weapon'.  After a number of court cases over whether a CCW allowed the carry of other weapons, several years ago the state permit was changed to a 'CPL' for 'concealed pistol license' to better clarify that it pertained only to handgun carry.