Author Topic: Lifehacker weighs in on the five best EDC knives  (Read 8424 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Lifehacker weighs in on the five best EDC knives
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 08:00:20 PM »
I haven't seen any arguments for restricting permits to firearms. I wonder what those might be. I guess they must argue that the state can't allow people to carry X, unless the required CCW course trains people in how to use X (knives, clubs, blackjacks, etc).
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2015, 03:48:40 AM »
Virginia's CCW law specifically does not. I could carry 4 guns and spare mags and be perfectly legal but add in a 4" double edge knife and I get a free pass to the pokey if a cop wants to enforce it. My reading of VA's other weapons law makes me pretty sure it was written in the old days when the state was may issue and we had to keep all those other weapons out of the hands of the "wrong" people.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2015, 04:47:46 AM »
Bummer.  It would seem logical that if you can carry a gun, pretty much any knife you can strap on would be a downgrade.  I know logic and .gov.

FL is a "License to carry concealed weapon or firearm".  It hadn't occurred to me that some states would limit it to only handguns.

Kind of screwed up. Here in the Sooner state I could legally open carry a brace of 1911s, but if I had a switchblade they'd haul me to jail.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 11:29:34 PM »
Kind of screwed up. Here in the Sooner state I could legally open carry a brace of 1911s, but if I had a switchblade they'd haul me to jail.

As of November 1st,  2015 that will no longer be the case.  Today our Governor signed a law that makes carrying a switchblade legal.

Looks like I'll be buying an auto knife in the not too distant future.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2015, 07:18:39 AM »
I always thought it was a perfect example of the stupidity of the law that in Seattle I can legally carry this

but not this

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2015, 07:26:39 AM »
I always thought it was a perfect example of the stupidity of the law that in Seattle I can legally carry this
<gun>
but not this
<knife>

Only because there's a strong and active gun lobby and not so much with knives.  It seems once most people get old enough to get a handgun and CCW, they become less militant about knife carry and switch over to "gun nut", relegating knives to utility status.  Not saying it's right, just what I've observed.

Chris