Author Topic: Are you off the grid? L.A. would prefer that you be off your land.  (Read 3849 times)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Are you off the grid? L.A. would prefer that you be off your land.
« on: September 05, 2011, 12:23:10 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw3RiMdS7sE
The Antelope Valley is a vast patch of desert on the outskirts of Los Angeles County, and a segment of the few rugged individualists who live out there increasingly are finding themselves the targets of armed raids from local code enforcement agents, who've assembled into task forces called Nuisance Abatement Teams (NATs).

This concerns me.  Is it a localized problem of "somebody" wanting someone else's land and using the gov to get at it?  Or is it an attempt to "round up" those people that the gov is worried about being out of their control.  Or, could it just be an honest, innocent attempt by the gov to provide and serve as they are supposed to by making sure that people who live in the middle of nowhere don't offend their neighbors?

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Are you off the grid? L.A. would prefer that you be off your land.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 12:41:43 PM »
Didn't we do Antelope Valley a couple of months ago? Or did I see it on another forum?

Found it: http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=30285.0
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 12:43:04 PM »
Did we?  ???

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 01:05:12 PM »
I'm really starting to think this type of thing is just the .gov's way of "desensitizing" us to their abuses of power. At some point a few months down the road after weekly raids of various entities (cheese farm, Gibson, this valley, etc.) appearing in the news, the general population will come to accept these events as a fact of life. Paving the way for even greater abuses.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 01:25:12 PM »
We face something similar here in AZ, and as my solar-electric project in my home grows, I will probably face it as well.

We have a law that dictates that your home can be condemned if it doesn't have an arbitrary amount of electricity available to it.  That amount is equal to the consumption of a refrigerator and an air conditioning unit to keep the temp below a particular temperature.  I forget the temp, I think it's around 90 degrees.

I have a small solar rig right now.  It generates about 4 amps through the day, 0 at night.  I currently use a little bit more than that in my typical daily work, working from home.  Once I get it up to 8-10 amps, I will install a dedicated circuit in the 3 bedrooms, including my home office.  I will then replicate that array on the other side of the house for another 10 amps, and it will run my fridge and living room's entertainment system. 

The point at which I anticipate potential problems, is when I have another 10-15 amp array and I hire an electrician to install a make/break/make switch on my house mains for the remaining circuitry.

At that point, I'll be calling the power company and disconnecting my house from the grid for the winter.  I'll only need city power in the summer to run the AC.

SRP and APS have in the past launched investigations against suburban solar installations where the homeowner goes off grid.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 01:32:20 PM »
We face something similar here in AZ, and as my solar-electric project in my home grows, I will probably face it as well.

We have a law that dictates that your home can be condemned if it doesn't have an arbitrary amount of electricity available to it.  That amount is equal to the consumption of a refrigerator and an air conditioning unit to keep the temp below a particular temperature.  I forget the temp, I think it's around 90 degrees.

I have a small solar rig right now.  It generates about 4 amps through the day, 0 at night.  I currently use a little bit more than that in my typical daily work, working from home.  Once I get it up to 8-10 amps, I will install a dedicated circuit in the 3 bedrooms, including my home office.  I will then replicate that array on the other side of the house for another 10 amps, and it will run my fridge and living room's entertainment system. 

The point at which I anticipate potential problems, is when I have another 10-15 amp array and I hire an electrician to install a make/break/make switch on my house mains for the remaining circuitry.

At that point, I'll be calling the power company and disconnecting my house from the grid for the winter.  I'll only need city power in the summer to run the AC.

SRP and APS have in the past launched investigations against suburban solar installations where the homeowner goes off grid.

Why draw attention to yourself?  Just knowing that if the power becomes unstable or goes out, you can run what you need to, seems like a winner to me. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 01:45:06 PM »
Yeah I don't understand why you would call to have the house disconnected.  Why not just switch it off and not use it?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 01:54:54 PM »
Yeah I don't understand why you would call to have the house disconnected.  Why not just switch it off and not use it?

Because the taxes and default fees on a home electric account are about $50 a month, even if your meter isn't spinning at all.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 02:08:15 PM »
Because the taxes and default fees on a home electric account are about $50 a month, even if your meter isn't spinning at all.

that sucks. i had seperate service run to a garage and was paying 15 a month average
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 02:11:28 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 02:09:14 PM »

And now we're getting to the crux of what's pissing off the gov when people are off grid.  Taxes and fees.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 02:11:19 PM »

This I did not know.  Not like that around here, your bill is zero if your usage is zero.  I'm sure there are taxes and fees but they must be on a percentage basis.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 02:33:55 PM »
that sucks. i had sepeeate service run to a garage and was paying 15 a month average

Just grabbed my July SRP electric bill.

(Remember, this is AZ and my AC is fighting a summertime average 94.7 degree ambient temp including daytime and nighttime... kind of like those starships in Niven's "Mote in God's Eye" that fly into the burning nebula ;/)

Monthly service charge: $15
On-peak energy charge: $175.52  (On-peak is a higher rate to discourage home high energy use when businesses are in peak production as well... I work from home so I have a high on-peak rate... but I also don't use a lot of gasoline commuting)
Off-peak energy charge: $123.55 (Lower rate per kW/H)
Mesa City Tax: $5.49
County and State Tax: $22.93.

That's $43.42 in taxes and service fees.  Aside from the $300 in actual electric charges.  

My July bill was $331.31 and the taxes/fees were $15/$5.31/$22.18 for a total of $42.49.

My June bill was $176.90 and the taxes/fees were $15/$2.84/$11.84 for a total of $29.68.

My smallest electric bills are in April or November, typically around $90.  The taxes/fees come out to $15/$1.52/$6.35 for a total of $22.87.

Looks like it averages around $33 a month, for a total of about $400 a year in taxes/fees.
--Lysander Spooner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 02:37:52 PM »
they screw you one way or another.  we have "personal property tax" here.  its special
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 03:34:22 PM »
Check to see that the taxes are based on consumption, not just simply being "hooked up'.  It looks like it's just $15 a month to be connected.  And don't they have to buy any excess power you create.  You could end up with them owing your each month.  But they may have ended that requirement. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 04:02:35 PM »
Check to see that the taxes are based on consumption, not just simply being "hooked up'.  It looks like it's just $15 a month to be connected.  And don't they have to buy any excess power you create.  You could end up with them owing your each month.  But they may have ended that requirement. 

They pay you a fraction of what your generated power is worth.  Whatever you generate by day, they still charge you twice what they pay you for your production, when you consume it at night.

And pumping your amps into the city grid still results in you being "down" when the city grid is down.  I'm going hybrid split electric systems (dedicated solar circuit(s) and dedicated city circuits) until I have enough generating power to go with a make/break/make switch on my house mains.

--Lysander Spooner

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 04:17:27 PM »
Holly crap, We had a house we were trying to unload from a dead relative and it had a 10 dollar bill per month. I realized there was a dusk to dawn light that was on at night. After I killed the breaker for that it went to 7 bucks.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 05:00:53 PM »
Choosing my words carefully here. 
Seems to me like the county has declared war on these people.  A guerrilla response might be appropriate.  (Look up asymmetrical warfare.)
"It's good, though..."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 06:33:51 PM »
Choosing my words carefully here. 
Seems to me like the county has declared war on these people.  A guerrilla response might be appropriate.  (Look up asymmetrical warfare.)

Against the power company?  Or the county tax enforcers?  Or the council that put the tax policy in effect?
--Lysander Spooner

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 07:20:01 PM »
Against the power company?  Or the county tax enforcers?  Or the council that put the tax policy in effect?

I can't comment further on a public forum.  But probably not the power company.  (this looks more like a land grab to me)
"It's good, though..."