Author Topic: Car problems....yay  (Read 3846 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Car problems....yay
« on: December 26, 2011, 02:27:52 PM »
So as mentioned in Christmas catastrophe thread, hada bit of a hiccup with the wifes 05 Saturn L300.

Driving along sudden rough engine and three warning lights- check engine, service vehicle RTFN, and reduced power. Got it towed home, running fine now and only the check engine light. Autozone code reader pulled up P0606/PCM Processor Fault. Yay, of course it's something I need to take it to a shop for. Wonder how expensive it would be to just get a new one and stick it in there myself.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.

Jim147

• friends
Re: Car problems....yay
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 05:06:13 PM »
Was that the only code? I think it can throw a P0606 every time it geos into limp mode.

If you find a used one I think it would have to be an exact match and a new one would need programmed by a dealer. Hope you have better luck finding a dealer that will still work on Saturn then I did when my BCM went out this summer.

jim

edit: Left out a sentence.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 05:11:54 PM by Jim147 »
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 05:14:51 PM »
If you have an O Reilly's auto parts store, check with them about getting a refurbed computer.

We got one for our Durango a couple of years ago, and it was about $200, as opposed to a new one for about $1,000. We supplied the VIN for the re=program.

I think that the outfit they used was in FL.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 11:04:29 AM »
Well, last night was one method of "fixing" the problem. After some discussion on what we wanted out of the car, the existing mileage, and problems developing that will probably need to be addressed soon for more $$$ we decided on the alternative method of car repair...

Trade In! SWMBO and I are now the proud parents of a bouncing baby 2012 Ford Fiesta.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 12:06:52 PM »
Congrats...sounds like my kind of repair.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 12:10:27 PM »
Fiestas are cool cars, considering that a fully loaded one with every option is what... 15k?

Congrats!
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 12:17:19 PM »
Fiestas are cool cars, considering that a fully loaded one with every option is what... 15k?

Congrats!
LOL not quite unfortunately, but still pretty inexpensive. The above is an SE and comes with options for the six speed automatic*, "sport appearance package", spoiler, 15" aluminum wheels, cruise, and front packing lamps...whatever the hell those are. Sticker price of 17,375.

*which is not really an automatic (as I understand it from reading online), but a dual clutch manual that just happens to be automated.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 12:49:02 PM »
Disconnect the battery for a half hour.  (Preserve AM/FM codes.)
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 12:54:37 PM »
Oh you got a Party car....cool.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 03:21:09 PM »
Trade In! SWMBO and I are now the proud parents of a bouncing baby 2012 Ford Fiesta.

That's the way to fix a POS.  I had so many problems with my '05  Chevy Silverado that I just couldn't deal with it any more.  So I popped the hood on the Chevy, pulled the radiator cap, backed the truck out,  pulled up a brand new Dodge, put the cap back on and closed the hood.   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats on the new car.  Few occasions in life feel as good as bringing home a new car.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 08:33:52 PM »
Congrats on the new sled!

Few occasions in life feel as good as bringing home a new car.

It lasts until you remember that sucking sound is the $$ going out of your account for a car payment.

Few things feel as good as not owing money...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 09:55:50 PM »
What do you think about the Fiesta?  I've looked at them online as a potential replacement for my current DD.

Chris

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 09:58:16 PM »
What's your current DD, bkr?

You're dc area as I recall, and ill probably get rid of my 07 malibu soon
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 08:12:35 AM »
What do you think about the Fiesta?  I've looked at them online as a potential replacement for my current DD.

Chris
Initial impression has been impressive. Doesn't have the cheap little car feel to it, nicely laid out, and very comfortable. Road noise is minimal, MUCH LESS that the L300 we traded in.

For what it is, the power is acceptable. Wont win and races but it's responsive and not under powered. The automatic transmission has been described as quirky and I can see that, but the more I drive it feels better. Frankly I don't think it feels that much different than a manual transmission, which isn't surprising as it's basically an automated manual transmission. So all in all I don't think it's a negative.

Front seat is fairly roomy, could be a bit wider but it's still comfortable. Forget about putting anyone larger than a child in the backseat though.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 08:54:14 AM »
What's your current DD, bkr?

You're dc area as I recall, and ill probably get rid of my 07 malibu soon

1997 Toyota 4Runner.  I'm not looking to make any changes at the moment, just kind of looking around, seeing what's out there.  Ideally, I'll stay with the 4Runner until our minivan is paid off, but considering the truck has 194k miles and is 15 years old, I like to have options in mind. ;)  If I get the van paid off first, I really want to get a 2011+ Mustang V6.  Yup, I want the V6.  Good gas mileage and all the performance I need. :)

Initial impression has been impressive. Doesn't have the cheap little car feel to it, nicely laid out, and very comfortable. Road noise is minimal, MUCH LESS that the L300 we traded in.

For what it is, the power is acceptable. Wont win and races but it's responsive and not under powered. The automatic transmission has been described as quirky and I can see that, but the more I drive it feels better. Frankly I don't think it feels that much different than a manual transmission, which isn't surprising as it's basically an automated manual transmission. So all in all I don't think it's a negative.

Front seat is fairly roomy, could be a bit wider but it's still comfortable. Forget about putting anyone larger than a child in the backseat though.

That's good to hear.  Do you think a pair of car seats (one is just a booster for an 8yo, the other is a full bucket for a 3yo) would fit back there?  This would mainly be a DD for me (but needs to be kid/carseat friendly) and possibly a short road trip vehicle (weekend trips to visit family possibly).  Fuel economy and reliability are the key.

Chris

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 09:10:55 AM »
1997 Toyota 4Runner.  I'm not looking to make any changes at the moment, just kind of looking around, seeing what's out there.  Ideally, I'll stay with the 4Runner until our minivan is paid off, but considering the truck has 194k miles and is 15 years old, I like to have options in mind. ;)  If I get the van paid off first, I really want to get a 2011+ Mustang V6.  Yup, I want the V6.  Good gas mileage and all the performance I need. :)

That's good to hear.  Do you think a pair of car seats (one is just a booster for an 8yo, the other is a full bucket for a 3yo) would fit back there?  This would mainly be a DD for me (but needs to be kid/carseat friendly) and possibly a short road trip vehicle (weekend trips to visit family possibly).  Fuel economy and reliability are the key.

Chris

The current V6 mustangs have plenty of power at the motor, but they cheaped out on the driveshaft. There have been reports of breakage under heavy acceleration. That said, it's still a nice car.

Let me know if you want this malibu. 60k, v6, and I'd let it go for 9k. :-D

Since you mentioned the car seat thing: have you considered the newer chargers? 4 doors, but the v6 version has been beefed up to mustang/camaro esque levels. It's VERY roomy. I had one as a rental last time i was in detroit.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 09:18:28 AM »

Chris
I think there wouldn't be a problem there.