Author Topic: Beyond Mile-High Grub: Can Airline Food Be Tasty?  (Read 3853 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Beyond Mile-High Grub: Can Airline Food Be Tasty?
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 12:21:05 PM »

Do they let you carry empty mags?.....seems like a good place to keep them....

Nope mags are in checked bags as well.

Do you carry ammo as well? ???

No ammo either.

Now mind you this is all into Kuwait.  But go into Iraq or Afghanistan you are ready for whatever is going to come in.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 08:09:29 PM »
Air travel in general seems to be designed to see how much abuse and indignity the travelers will endure.   :mad:

I can't imagine why anyone would do it voluntarily  ???

I don't.

In fact, I have informed my wife that anywhere in the continental United States, if I go there I drive there. If she can't hack a four day drive, SHE can fly, and I'll meet her on the other end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 09:24:22 PM »
Knowing how touchy the Army can be about "sensitive items," I'm guessing they simply don't tolerate issued weapons and electronics being separated from whomever is assigned to them. Knives and magazines they don't care about so much.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
I don't.

In fact, I have informed my wife that anywhere in the continental United States, if I go there I drive there. If she can't hack a four day drive, SHE can fly, and I'll meet her on the other end.

I am with you brother - driving limit, and travel states must have reciprocity with OH!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 09:34:39 PM »

That's about how I feel about it. Even before 9-11, airline flight was boring and restricting. Car trips are scenic, educational, independent, and allow for all manner of different pursuits. You stop and eat what you want, when and where you want. If you have the time, you can stop at historic sites, not-so-historic sites, or bizarre gift shops. You could even get some camping in, along the way.

Not that I ever go anywhere anymore. :(

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 10:42:39 PM »
Best lasagna I've ever had was at 35,000 feet or so over Missouri on a United flight in 1992.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2012, 10:48:50 PM »
Why does anyone care about airplane food?  Airplanes are for travelling, not for eating. If you want good food on a plane, pack your own or buy something at the airport. Airplane food sucks because it is an afterthought these days.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 12:17:41 AM »
Best lasagna I've ever had was at 35,000 feet or so over Missouri on a United flight in 1992.

Best lasagna I've had was also on an airplane back around that time-frame. Why? Pepperoni!

Of course, I don't like lasagna, so...

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 12:58:01 AM »
It always comes back to pepperoni, doesn't it?      ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2012, 06:08:40 AM »
Air travel in general seems to be designed to see how much abuse and indignity the travelers will endure.   :mad:

I can't imagine why anyone would do it voluntarily  ???

Not everybody lives in America.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2012, 07:15:29 AM »
"I can't imagine why anyone would do it voluntarily"

And walking isn't always an option.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2012, 08:04:26 AM »
Until earlier this year, I hadn't flown since before 9/11.  I was prepared for the worst when I walked up to Security.  It actually turned out to be easier than pre-9/11.  I didn't get the nudoscope and didn't have to boot my laptop (a huge time waster).  I did have to slip off my shoes at Dulles, but not at Heathrow.  Nobody wanded me at either location, I just walked through the metal detector and retrieved my stuff.

When we planned our vacation to Disney this summer, our initial plan was to drive the 14hrs from here to there.  However, when I saw gas prices rising and predictions of $4-$5 gas for this summer, I ran the numbers and took a look at discount airline tickets.  I found I was able to fly my entire family for $800 while a drive would cost a minimum of $300 (not including meal stops and with gas at its current price).  The idea of a 2hr flight vs a 14hr drive with two young children is appealing in the extreme (I've made longer drives 3x before, so I know how it works).  Not to mention the wear and tear on our vehicle...

Chris

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2012, 10:38:17 AM »
Is it bad that whenever I see this thread come up in the list I read it as Mile-High Club not Grub.   ???
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2012, 01:23:22 PM »
Is it bad that whenever I see this thread come up in the list I read it as Mile-High Club not Grub.   ???

First time I noticed!  =D

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2012, 02:21:10 PM »
Is it bad that whenever I see this thread come up in the list I read it as Mile-High Club not Grub.   ???

I don't think even that would help airline food....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2012, 03:10:54 PM »
Does the Mile High Club involve eating?  Cause if it does, where do I send my application?  :angel:

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2012, 06:07:36 PM »
Does the Mile High Club involve eating?  Cause if it does, where do I send my application?  :angel:

Careful what you wish for. Or have you not seen an average American lately?