Author Topic: Apparently an uptick in "mob justice" ?  (Read 3881 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Apparently an uptick in "mob justice" ?
« on: May 03, 2012, 09:32:56 AM »

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/05/beating-church-and-brambleton

http://pjmedia.com/blog/justice-for-trayvon-15-whites-beaten-by-gangs-of-black-thugs-so-far/

On the other hand, allegedly it's overblown. The editor of the Virginian Pilot claims since the police reports classified it as a simple assault, they didn't want to give their folks special treatment.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/norfolk/virginian-pilot-editor-addresses-attack

I haven't seen any reliable statistics that accurately and in an completely unbiased manner track lynch mobs or whatnot. So I have no bloody idea. It's not a personal concern, as my neighbors are predominately Amish and are fairly infrequently known for violent behavior.  Honestly, my assessment of the Martin shooting, right or wrong, is that stupidity would ensue. So far, looks like it has.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Apparently an uptick in "mob justice" ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 09:42:19 AM »
I live in a very ethnically diverse neighborhood and we haven't seen any change in that sort of thing.

I keep expecting it, but things have been quiet.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 09:58:37 AM »
I live in a very ethnically diverse neighborhood and we haven't seen any change in that sort of thing.

Same here. But I guess I wouldn't notice, since I don't talk to the neighbors.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 10:03:18 AM »

Chris

Me too.  All's quiet. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 10:14:51 AM »
Honestly, my assessment of the Martin shooting, right or wrong, is that stupidity would ensue. So far, looks like it has.

I put the blame squarely on the media for exploiting and highlighting racial tensions on this one.
Its too bad the media can't be held accountable for the aftermath as would a man who yelled 'fire' in a theater.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 10:25:45 AM »
I put the blame squarely on the media for exploiting and highlighting racial tensions on this one.
Its too bad the media can't be held accountable for the aftermath as would a man who yelled 'fire' in a theater.

I put the blame on the individuals in question. Yes, the media lies and manipulates. That is what they do. But it still comes down to individual choice on whether to be civilized and rational, or not.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 10:56:51 AM »
I put the blame on the individuals in question. Yes, the media lies and manipulates. That is what they do. But it still comes down to individual choice on whether to be civilized and rational, or not.

FTMFW!!

We are all responsible for our own choices and actions.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 10:58:22 AM »

Good point. OTOH, there are countless examples in history where a very few individuals whipped the masses into a murderous frenzy.
What the media has been doing with the Zimmerman/trayvon case has been nothing but agitprop.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 10:59:08 AM »

Chris

Racist! 
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 11:01:12 AM »
Imagine the poo storm if some innocent, law abiding, ARMED citizen is targeted by one of the alleged "justice for Trayvon" mobs and defends them self>
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 11:16:33 AM »
Imagine the poo storm if some innocent, law abiding, ARMED citizen is targeted by one of the alleged "justice for Trayvon" mobs and defends them self>

Well among other things when it hits the news it won't be a "Justice for Trayvon mob" it'll be a "group of kids doing sidewalk cleanup for charity"

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 01:23:24 PM »

Basically, what they're already doing. Only worse, I suspect. With three possible outcomes. Cops clap down on everyone and things die down because folks move onto the next cause.  Mob lynching increases. Or a significantly larger portion of those targeted by lynch mobs arm themselves.

Best guess?  Some combination of all three.

Positive side, these lynchings are statistically quite rare. Negative side, even ONE lynching is too many.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 01:26:33 PM »
I will say that the irony that some blacks in America are unhappy with law enforcement and have taken to mob justice is not lost on me.

I'm not sure that this is the equality Dr. King had in mind.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 02:05:11 PM »
Still a bit too early here in Milwaukee, but even pre-Zimmerman last year, there was "trouble". Some smash-n-grab style mob robberies of convenience stores, and even one of the anchor stores of the area's flagship mall. (And while only modest on the direct "violence" it was particularly disturbing, because the core demographic was 15 and under, and female...)

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/112807564.html

And there was a racially motivated or at least racially comprised mob beating of multiple people at some 4th of July events, and in August on the opening night of WI's State Fair, about a mile from my house.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/125027704.html

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/126828998.html

And that was, as far as I can tell, sort of just "spontaneous". With some evidence of 'let's get it on' type coordination going on prior to the events via phone texts, and internet social media.

Then there was the "flash mob" racial beach violence to the south of us in Chicago.

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/The-312/June-2011/Flash-Mobs-and-Chicago-Beach-Violence/
With the election coming up this fall, and the Zimmerman case, I'm expecting at least a repeat, if not more violence and activity this summer.
I promise not to duck.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 05:42:09 PM »
Trevon my ass. Since when have groups of young black kids need an excuse for violence.
I remember discussing the rodney king/reginald Denny thing with my black co-workers. I asked them how the beating of a random truck driver had anything to do with rodney king. Without exception they thought I was nuts, and that the beating of Denny was justified. I think that's when I really started more guns and ammo.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 05:53:11 PM »
Trevon my *expletive deleted*. Since when have groups of young black kids need an excuse for violence.
I remember discussing the rodney king/reginald Denny thing with my black co-workers. I asked them how the beating of a random truck driver had anything to do with rodney king. Without exception they thought I was nuts, and that the beating of Denny was justified. I think that's when I really started more guns and ammo.

Well, it's not as if there's reliable stats on this, unless someone was going to comb every major cities police reports with FBI/NIJ thoroughness, however it seems we can go a few years without a "flash mob"/"wilding" incident, or maybe have one a year, in one city.

And now there's a cluster of these events in multiple cities in 2011, and now a few of them in 2012 already.

Is there an actual "surge"? Or is this the status quo? And it is just cell phone video, and the internet competing against the medias selection bias against black-on-white mob violence, where the fact that it's happening is obvious, and the mainstream media would look bad if they kept on ignoring it?

I promise not to duck.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 06:28:54 PM »
I'm kind of worn outfrom pointing out (on other boards and chats) that the only reference to Trayvon Martin in this incident was one (single, sole, solitary) Twitter comment.

Everybody seems to have jumped in with both feet assuming that the whole thing was founded on a wilding group of black yoots looking for a way to express their social and political dissatisfaction over the delay in declaring G. Zimmerman guilty  and stringing him up on the nearest light pole.

If you knew the city and the neighborhood in question you would know that large groups of aimless yoots are commonly encountered there.  While certainly not in bunches numbering in the hundreds, but a few dozen is not that uncommon.  The flinging of the brick is an escalation of the usual walking in the street trying to see if they can verbally intimidate drivers.

Also, if you knew the sociopolitical demographic and mindset of the two reportologists involved, you would understand that getting out and verbally confronting a crowd from whence a brick had magically appeared is highly unusual.  My money is on some sort of conversation going on inside the automobile before the crowd of yoots "surrounded" them and began acting out.

In closing, does anybody have a suggestion of what the cops could do when they eventually arrived to find no yoots loitering about so they could be interviewed?

Knowing that when you need them the cops are only minutes away, it might be prudent to keep your mouth shut and drive on by (or, if necessary, through).

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 07:38:12 PM »
In closing, does anybody have a suggestion of what the cops could do when they eventually arrived to find no yoots loitering about so they could be interviewed?

Knowing that when you need them the cops are only minutes away, it might be prudent to keep your mouth shut and drive on by (or, if necessary, through).

That would be my assessment as well.  I also agree with skidmark that the historical common denominator is a combination of generally youth, alcohol, population density or lower socioeconomic. Any two will do fine.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 07:42:17 PM »

Or over.

There's a reason I drive a 4WD ... and there isn't a fire trail within a hundred miles.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design