Author Topic: Acquired Savant Syndrome  (Read 3844 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Acquired Savant Syndrome
« on: April 24, 2014, 03:00:27 PM »
Do you recall in the old looney tunes or Abbot and Costello movies or the like where someone takes a blow to the head and becomes a genius?

It's not just a funny plot device, apparently.

http://nypost.com/2014/04/20/how-a-brain-injury-turned-a-college-dropout-into-a-genius/

Not an idiot to start with, but a beating suddenly made him into a math genius. One of 40 such identified people. (According to the article.)

So, it's possible a concussion will give you super powers... at least super mental powers.

However, at the odds of 40 our of 5 billion (I'm not going to guess at the number of people who have taken a blow to the head), I'm not about to attempt to replicate the results.

However, the one I found most interesting was the guy struck by lightning who suddenly became a pianist.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Regolith

• friend
Re: Acquired Savant Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 03:42:01 PM »
However, the one I found most interesting was the guy struck by lightning who suddenly became a pianist.

I remember watching a show on TV, Nova or something like that, where a guy hit his head in the pool after diving into the shallow-end and ended up the same way. Could play the piano like he'd been doing it since birth, even though he had never touched one before.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 04:13:03 PM »
Considering how many times I hit my head growing up I'm lucky to be able to tie my shoes.  If I was to gain some new skill after smacking my head, with my luck I'd end up becoming some kind of underwater basket weaving guru, or genius dog anus gland squeezer, or something . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 04:21:01 PM »
I have access to a blunt instrument . . . and I'm willing to try to make our elected officials smarter . . .  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 04:30:59 PM »
I have access to a blunt instrument . . . and I'm willing to try to make our elected officials smarter . . .  >:D

We will have none of that.  Get back to your proper place in the line.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 05:10:05 PM »
I hit my head pretty hard falling out of a tree when I was younger and was rendered unconscious for a day or so.  I definitely didn't get any smarter.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 05:15:58 PM »
I hit my head pretty hard falling out of a tree when I was younger and was rendered unconscious for a day or so.  I definitely didn't get any smarter.

You're still falling out of trees  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 05:19:15 PM »
Been some pretty good Discovery/Science Channel specials on savant syndrome.  There were a couple of people they profiled with acquired savant syndrome.  One guy had a wreck or something.  Went from not being able to carry a tune in a bucket to musical machine.  Another was a lady who I think had a stroke.  From no artistic ability to prolific painter.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 06:38:02 PM »
genius dog anus gland squeezer

The genius part of that would be to stay away from dogs that need their anal glands squeezed!!!!    ;)

bob

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 06:47:27 PM »
I've been hit on the head so many times, but it seems I am not one of the lucky few. :(

The best was the soccer ball punted straight into the side of my head. I actually felt myself weaving from side to side on the way down. I thought the soccer coach was going to wet himself and the guy who punted the ball was nearly crying.
If there was any justice in this world, I would have become a soccer savaint after that.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 08:23:55 PM »
"Doctor, after this operation, will I be able to play the violin?"
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 11:05:05 PM »
I took a blow to the head and was struck by lightning.  Probably why I signed up for this forum.  Does that make me a jeenyus?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 11:07:27 PM »
Oh, wait. I just realized that the title of this thread/syndrome is obviously a joke. 

:facepalm:  Guess I have A.S.S.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 11:19:26 PM »
Oh, wait. I just realized that the title of this thread/syndrome is obviously a joke. 

:facepalm:  Guess I have A.S.S.

Would you believe that the acronym really IS a coincidence? I know, around this bunch it's tough, but on this one rare occassion...

Brad
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:29:03 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 12:57:23 AM »
After my last blow to the head I figured out how to stop peeing on my shoes.  I guess that's something.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 01:54:36 AM »
So you sit down now to pee?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 01:11:49 PM »
He takes off his shoes first . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 01:14:44 PM »

Makes sense. Intelligence is basically how your brain is wired for certain things. Blows to the head can damage your brain, causing new wiring. More likely to make you stupid or get seizures, but sometimes you get lucky and get positive results. Same thing with evolution. Lots of bad mutations, some good. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 01:25:37 PM »
Makes sense. Intelligence is basically how your brain is wired for certain things. Blows to the head can damage your brain, causing new wiring. More likely to make you stupid or get seizures, but sometimes you get lucky and get positive results. Same thing with evolution. Lots of bad mutations, some good. 

Same concept as electro-shock therapy, as I understand it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 02:04:57 PM »
My problem is that I can't stop getting hit on the head. I get hit on the head and get smarter, then almost immediately get hit again and become a dummy. Kinda like Gilligan and the radio in his mouth.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 07:46:43 PM »
He takes off his shoes first . . .

There you go.  But now I have trouble finding my shoes.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.