Author Topic: Walther PPK  (Read 1328 times)

Bigjake

• friend
Walther PPK
« on: December 20, 2008, 04:54:33 PM »
I'm putting this question here, because wading through THR lately is a pain, and I trust the opinions here more anyway.

Any of y'all carry one?  I picked one up in trade a while back, and my wife snatched it early on for a carry piece.  She's currently got a cheapo uncle mikes IWB, which is serviceable, but less than ideal.

Anybody able to suggest some decent leather for that particular piece?  I'm looking for a stocking stuffer for her and that seems about ideal...

crashresidue

Re: Walther PPK
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 05:03:22 PM »
Go over to www.bersatalk.com and look in the 'holster' forum.  One of the members makes them under the UBG label. 

Got good revews.
cr
He who laughs last - is usually dumbest

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 06:24:58 PM »
I use a Fobus  PPK-1 paddle holster.  It's plastic.  I really like it.  Very comfortable and safe.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 08:11:35 PM »
I have an Interarms PPK. Unlike many of that breed, it's very reliable and a surprisingly good shooter.

I carry it when I'm facing extended periods in my dentist's chair; otherwise, if the caliber name doesn't include the word "magnum," I leave it home.

I sneered at plastic holsters until I tried one. I've had excellent success with a Fobus cant-adjustable paddle holster for my pre-agreement Smith & Wesson model 60 five-shooter. I'm still partial to fine leather, mind, but Fobus changed my crusty old mind.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

myrockfight

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 10:10:11 PM »
I use a Fobus  PPK-1 paddle holster.  It's plastic.  I really like it.  Very comfortable and safe.

I have one of those too. But I don't care for it personally. It sticks out too much from my body to be comfortable or easily concealable. I just use a simple Uncle Mike's neoprene IWB holster. It is simple, comfortable, and as slim as you can get.

The PPK is really an outdated carry piece. You can get a 9mm in the same sized package that is lighter due to polymer frames. Or you can get a .380 that is a good bit smaller like the Ruger LCP. Don't get me wrong. I love mine for what it is and I still carry it. It is very accurate due to its design. Actually, it is the most accurate handgun I have owned.  (I'm sure most of you guys know all this, but someone may not.) The barrel is fixed to the frame.

One thing I would do is replace the springs, if it is an older model. They are relatively cheap. Mine needed all new springs. I also have an Interarms model and it works wonderfully. It isn't a jammamatic and will feed hollowpoints.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 10:25:22 PM »
I am really pleased with my PPK.  Yeah, it's a bit heavy, but it is a fine handgun.
I get pretty good groupings at self defense distances.  My is an Interarms as well.

I've got a little Beretta Tomcat in .32 for a pocket pistol.  In fact the Tomcat fits nicely in the watch pocket of my LL Bean jeans.  Only a couple inches of grip protrudes and it looks like a pager, especially if you hang your cell phone from the nearby belt loop.  But the Walther riding in the Fobus conceals well under an untucked shirt, a sweater or a coat.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 10:28:38 PM by grampster »
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw