Author Topic: Want a new rifle, what to get...  (Read 5993 times)

sanglant

• friend
Re: Want a new rifle, what to get...
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2012, 07:19:30 PM »
.45/120  :angel: something with a tang sight. =D

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2012, 01:01:18 PM »

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2012, 01:09:06 PM »
http://www.shilohrifle.com/

=D

I have 2 of their 1874 Sporter models - closest out of their current catalog, they are custom models made for the University of Montana for donors to the business school.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2012, 04:50:54 PM »
Eye relief isn't the issue for me, if the LOP is too short, I feel cramped.  I have relatively long arms.

Chris

Insert jokes about scabbed up knuckles here.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2013, 07:03:48 PM »
So I was doing a little reading about .44 mag in a rifle, well it was kind of meh to me. 1800 fps with a 240g bullet in the Ruger carbine. Even the Hornady manual said it wouldn't be a suitable medium range hunting round.

Here is something else, why not get a modern in-line muzzle-loader? I have one and I love hunting deer hunting with it, I can hit a playing card all day long at 150 yards with it. I bought a CVA Optima (stainless and black) for $239 and topped with a Burris 2-7x35 scope on sale for $129. I shoot 100g of Blackhorn 209 and with a .45 Hornady sst in a Harvester Sabot at 2000 fps, I could get to 2300 fps with 20g more of powder but the recoil increases exponentially.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2013, 07:12:45 PM »
So I was doing a little reading about .44 mag in a rifle, well it was kind of meh to me. 1800 fps with a 240g bullet in the Ruger carbine. Even the Hornady manual said it wouldn't be a suitable medium range hunting round.
Yeah, I started getting the same vibe.  I mean, my Redhawk slings a 300gr WFN at 1300fps, but the same load in a carbine does 1500ish.  That isn't much of an increase.  It'll make it shoot flatter and the rifle will be easier to shoot than the handgun, but it won't kill any better.

Here is something else, why not get a modern in-line muzzle-loader? I have one and I love hunting deer hunting with it, I can hit a playing card all day long at 150 yards with it. I bought a CVA Optima (stainless and black) for $239 and topped with a Burris 2-7x35 scope on sale for $129. I shoot 100g of Blackhorn 209 and with a .45 Hornady sst in a Harvester Sabot at 2000 fps, I could get to 2300 fps with 20g more of powder but the recoil increases exponentially.

I had a modern inline years ago (Remington 700ML w/4x scope).  I'm really not into them.  I didn't get any enjoyment out of shooting them (back then, the only range I could shoot it at was an hour away and had crappy hours), so I sold it.  These days, while the expanded hunting would be nice, I barely have time to full hunt the regular gun season. 

IIRC, I was shooting a 300gr 45cal saboted JHP with 100gr of Pyrodex pellets (2x50gr) and a standard cap (no shotgun primers).  It would hold about 2" at 100yds from the bench.  Nice gun, but just not something I'd shoot for fun.

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2013, 07:28:01 PM »
A 44 mag rifle may not have a huge velocity increase, but I think I can place a 100 yard shot with my lever gun much easier than with a pistol.  Each to his own I guess. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2013, 07:38:09 PM »
I also have really long arms and fairly large hands, so that may have been my problem. My ape index is high at 1.087. http://www.ape-index.com/

When I get my Marlins, I'll need to get a big loop lever for them so my hand fits.

I'll just call you stumpy, mine came in at 1.113.

I do like the big loop lever look. "one of these days" I'd like to put big loops on my 1894C and my 336T. I've got a Henry .22 with the big loop and it just feels right. The Henry is also a darned accurate little rifle, I put a Weaver 1-3X-20 scope on it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2013, 07:49:06 PM »
A 44 mag rifle may not have a huge velocity increase, but I think I can place a 100 yard shot with my lever gun much easier than with a pistol.  Each to his own I guess. 

True, but I wasn't looking at the 44mag rifle for 100yd shots (which aren't common where I hunt).  I was looking more for a light, handy rifle for hunting thickets in the mountains.

Chris

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2013, 07:53:14 PM »
Ain't never shot a thicket before....how do they taste?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2013, 01:49:54 AM »
Just found this in my email box...

Hello Mr KGBSquirrel,

Your order status is Shipped

SHTF50_MF    SHTF 50 Mag Fed Upper Conversion
Barrel Length 29 inch
Scope Rail Standard Low
Barrel Fluting

ACC_003    SHTF 50/R50 5 Round Magazine

..... woohoooo!!!!   =D  [ar15]

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2013, 01:53:00 AM »
I gotta say I've got a strange desire for a Thompson right now.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2013, 08:53:33 AM »
Just found this in my email box...

..... woohoooo!!!!   =D  [ar15]

You crazy mf.

I thought I was bad for picking up a TBAC can for my 338 :)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2013, 03:39:43 PM »
You crazy mf.

I thought I was bad for picking up a TBAC can for my 338 :)

I've been a Sad Panda ever since I sold my HS.50 and Bohica a couple years back. I've finally made enough headway with other things that I was able to drop the coin on the SHTF upper.

I think I'll put my AN/PVS-4 on it.  >:D

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2013, 09:34:16 AM »
I've been a Sad Panda ever since I sold my HS.50 and Bohica a couple years back. I've finally made enough headway with other things that I was able to drop the coin on the SHTF upper.

I think I'll put my AN/PVS-4 on it.  >:D

Gen I or Gen III rebuild?

If Gen III, did you note the difference in cost vs say, a Sagem Lutis or similar light thermal?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2013, 11:07:01 AM »
Gen II.

MX-9644/U tube.