Author Topic: More government handouts to farmers  (Read 941 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
Re: More government handouts to farmers
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 01:18:23 PM »
You would think the government would get out of this business and let the free market provide a solution to the issue of crop insurance.
Would I want the government to get out of meddling with the market?  Yes.
Would I think the government would get out of meddling with the market?  No.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 02:13:50 PM »
A change is something that would have to be phased in over time.

The way the system is set up now you just couldn't flip a switch and change the farmer/government dynamic.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 06:32:47 PM »
Years of government congress big Ag lobbyists created the current agricultural system.

Long and short of it, drop the programs, consumer food prices will rise.

It would be painful, but I would be in favor of the feds breaking up the large ag groups so that one company can not control more than than 10% of any commodity. Make it illegal for non US citizens to own more than 25 acres total in the US, zero land for foreign corporations. etc.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 07:12:27 PM »
One problem I see is that US farmers are competing in a global market where many of the big players receive substantial government subsidy.
I'm not sure how we can level that playing field.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 09:59:16 PM »
Years of government congress big Ag lobbyists created the current agricultural system.

Long and short of it, drop the programs, consumer food prices will rise.

It would be painful, but I would be in favor of the feds breaking up the large ag groups so that one company can not control more than than 10% of any commodity. Make it illegal for non US citizens to own more than 25 acres total in the US, zero land for foreign corporations. etc.

That might have far reaching consequences for all the corporations that moved overseas in past years.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 10:25:04 PM »

I support your platform and I will sign your petition to get on the ballot.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 10:25:55 PM »
That might have far reaching consequences for all the corporations that moved overseas in past years.

Are you suggesting that might not be a good thing?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 09:51:55 AM »
New Zealand eliminated farm subsidies, which worked out very well in the end.

Farmers stopped producing things only because the gov subsidized them (like breeding excess sheep, and them slaughtering them to make fertilizer) and instead started producing things people wanted to buy.  They stopped growing on poor-quality land.

The ag sector (and its employment) is still huge in N. Zealand without subsidies!

https://www.dailysignal.com/2016/09/22/what-happened-when-new-zealand-got-rid-of-government-subsidies-for-farmers/