Author Topic: I didn't get the memo  (Read 3323 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
I didn't get the memo
« on: July 27, 2019, 07:34:22 PM »
http://news.trust.org/item/20190727165259-hatmv

Trump calls Baltimore a mess. Tells Rep Elijah Cummings to clean up his own cesspool of a district before he criticizes the Border Patrol. Mayor of Baltimore lionizes Cummings:

Baltimore Mayor Bernard Young called Trump's rhetoric "hurtful and dangerous."

"It's completely unacceptable for the political leader of our country to denigrate a vibrant American City like Baltimore, and to viciously attack U.S. Representative Elijah Cummings a patriot and a hero," he tweeted.

Will somone please help me out? How is Elijah Cummings a patriot and a hero? Did he fight in the American Revolution? Did he fight in some more recent war? Did he win a Medal of Honor, Silver Star, even a Bronze Star? What, exactly, makes him a hero?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: I didn't get the memo
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 07:35:39 PM »

Trump calls Baltimore a mess. Tells Rep Elijah Cummings to clean up his own cesspool of a district before he criticizes the Border Patrol. Mayor of Baltimore lionizes Cummings:

Will somoen please help me out? How is Elijah Cummings a patriot and a hero? Did he fight in the American Revolution? Did he fight in some more recent war? Did he win a Medal of Honor, Silver Star, even a Bronze Star? What, exactly, makes him a hero?

He doesn't like hates Trump.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 08:39:41 PM »
Wow.

Baltimore has a murder rate of around 56 per 100000!

That is over 11 times that national average! 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/09/25/baltimore-homicide-murder-rate-fbi-statistics-death-crime-killings/1426739002/

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 09:02:01 PM »

Will somone please help me out? How is Elijah Cummings a patriot and a hero? Did he fight in the American Revolution? Did he fight in some more recent war? Did he win a Medal of Honor, Silver Star, even a Bronze Star? What, exactly, makes him a hero?

He apparently marched in an participated in a lot of civil rights actions around the time of MLK. That could make him a hero, there was some risk for African Americans participating in protests and marches at the time. I don't know if his participation was just being there as was the case for a very large number of people of all races and ethnicities or if he did anything that deserves particular attention and being considered a hero. He seems to be extremely unintelligent, but not all heros are particularly smart, doesn't make what they may have done any less. On the other hand, we recently spent a lot of time lionizing another hero recently that even if he did something heroic back in Vietnam was more or less a monster later in life. Mueller has a huge list of civil rights and prosecutorial abuses on his record even before being involved in the latest incident.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 09:14:56 PM »
My recollection of events is as follows:

1) The mayor of Baltimore came out supporting BLM when policemen were being murdered;
2) The murder rate in Baltimore subsequently skyrocketed;
3) The mayor of Baltimore was pleading for more gun restrictions on the totally not involved innocent gun owners.

Do I recall correctly?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 10:54:20 PM »
Wow.

Baltimore has a murder rate of around 56 per 100000!

That is over 11 times that national average! 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/09/25/baltimore-homicide-murder-rate-fbi-statistics-death-crime-killings/1426739002/
And in 2018, Baltimore had the highest rates of syphillis, gonorrhea, and chlamydia among all Maryland jurisdictions according to the Maryland Department of Health. https://phpa.health.maryland.gov/OIDPCS/CSTIP/CSTIPDocuments/Reports/STI%202018%20Annual%20Report%20Maryland.pdf

And as for rats, according to Animal Planet (http://www.animalplanet.com/wild-animals/3-baltimore-md/) Baltimore may trail Boston and NYC in rat infestation.
Although:
Baltimore's rat problem is bad enough that at one point, rats tunneled so intensely beneath a particular area of pavement that when garbage collectors drove over it, their truck sunk up to its axles. Rats in the vicinity took full advantage of the mishap and swarmed the truck, gorging on the garbage inside.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 09:26:53 AM »
Sounds like a third world *expletive deleted*it hole.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 09:39:53 AM »
This is one where I'll be hypocritical. I am no Cummings fan, and I have made the same kind of cracks about Maxine Waters' district. But really, it's not the right direction to aim the cannons. Much like Flint Michigan, this is mostly on local and state governments. in Flint they wanted to blame Trump, and I see that April Ryan said that it's Trump's duty to fix Baltimore, not Cummings'.

Really though, either of them only have a minor role to play here. Places like Baltimore are more the fault of the local governments, and honestly, the residents themselves. A good analog is Hurricane Katrina. We all saw the Charlie Foxtrot that was New Orleans, and we all saw everyone rushing to blame Bush and the fed.gov. Yet one state away, we had places harder hit, and local governments and neighbors of all stripes came together and helped each other.

This is much the same as people expecting the fed.gov to bail them out of a catastrophe with immediate on the ground response, when really, the fed.gov is for post disaster stuff and local governments should be jumping in, and residents should keep their 72 hour minimum emergency supplies on hand.  Baltimore is an example of people, and the local Baltimore government, standing around waiting for big brother to do something for them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 09:41:44 AM »
‘Vibrant’ is synonymous with ‘ghetto’ these days.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 09:54:19 AM »
The time for being "nice" and "polite" is coming to an end.

The left hasn't been nice or polite toward the right for a long time.

The reality isn't nice or polite.

Speaking the truth and pointing out the reality of *expletive deleted*it holes run by our own 3rd world grifters is exactly what is needed.

In order to find a solution to a problem you have to accurately assess exactly what the problem is, and how it came to be.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 10:07:54 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 10:46:40 AM »
The supposed patriotism and supposed heroism of U.S. Representative Elijah Cummings and other BS aside, the crux of this dust-up is that a prominent person with a sense of reality, a bit of courage, and a bit of disdain for the normal "politically correct" protocol has fired back at a left-wing critic of the Border Patrol.

And I hope that particular prominent person wins "HUGE" in 2020.

Terry, 230RN

ETA:  Interestingly, I composed and posted this before I saw Ron's post.  I'm pleased to see the idea of cutting through PC diplomatic BS is gaining recognition.

REALITY NOW !
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 11:20:54 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 12:25:21 PM »
I wish someone could tell me why it's OK to castigate and name call including calling the president a motherfecker, but if the motherfecker talks back, it's all the isms and bigotry.  The other thing the MSM fails to mention is that Trump is an Equal Opportunity critic as he has jabbed back in very certain terms at every colorful iteration of human being.

With respect to American scatholes, they are all run and have been run by Ds since, well, forever.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 12:52:37 PM »
The supposed patriotism and supposed heroism of U.S. Representative Elijah Cummings and other BS aside, the crux of this dust-up is that a prominent person with a sense of reality, a bit of courage, and a bit of disdain for the normal "politically correct" protocol has fired back at a left-wing critic of the Border Patrol.

My issue isn't so much the poor condition of Baltimore, which I agree is primarily under the purview of the city and state governments. My problem is in characterizing Cummings as a "patriot" and a "hero" when, as far as I can see, he hasn't ever done anything that's either patriotic or heroic.

It's not just Cummings. In recent times, the mass media have so overused and abused the term "hero" that it has pretty much become meaningless. Today, it seems that people are "heroes" for getting out of bed and going to work in the morning. Colour me old-fashioned, but IMHO that's not what heroism is supposed to mean.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2019, 12:54:03 PM »

With respect to American scatholes, they are all run and have been run by Ds since, well, forever.

I'm sure that's just an unfortunate coincidence.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 01:03:16 PM »
In the lib world it's always someone else's fault.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2019, 02:02:43 PM »

It's not just Cummings. In recent times, the mass media have so overused and abused the term "hero" that it has pretty much become meaningless. Today, it seems that people are "heroes" for getting out of bed and going to work in the morning. Colour me old-fashioned, but IMHO that's not what heroism is supposed to mean.

I 100% agree.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2019, 02:25:42 PM »
Sounds like a third world *expletive deleted*it hole.
If you're REALLY interested in what constitutes that kind of country . . . here's a recent story about Ugandan toilets.

Or lack of same.  :O

https://www.apnews.com/c225ff70420846489892ea206ecca6d1

Some places aspire to rise up to s***hole status.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2019, 09:16:23 PM »
In the lib world it's always someone else's fault.
QFT
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 08:41:55 PM »
But wait, there's more

The Top Ten cities for bed bug infestation for this one year period were:

Baltimore
    Washington, D.C.
    Chicago
    Los Angeles
    Columbus, Ohio
    Cincinnati
    Detroit
    New York City
    San Francisco-San Jose-Oakland
    Dallas-Fort Worth

Baltimore Number One City in Country for Bed Bug Infestation
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/07/29/baltimore-number-one-city-in-country-for-bed-bug-infestation/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

grampster

• friend
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2019, 05:33:47 AM »
Hawkmoon said,

It's not just Cummings. In recent times, the mass media have so overused and abused the term 'hero' that it has pretty much become meaningless.

There was no memo and it's not just recent.

I don't think anyone will disagree with you that the term has been bandied about to the point that it can't be taken literally any more.

But I think what's tickling this audience is the fact that the President has "shot back" in kind to one of the leftie lockbrained lackies.  At least that's what's central to the incident, to me.

And see, even "shot back" is not taken literally.

So, you're right about "hero", but more fun can be had with the President's response to a typical leftie lockbrained attack.  IMHO

And to my mind, President Trump is likewise a "hero" in that loose sense, even though I'm not a lockbrained Trumpster.  

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

griz

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2019, 07:14:23 AM »
I guess the free pass that Rep Cummings gets when he bad mouths the Border Patrol is just a reflection of the reporting bias.

Anyway, this comes to mind when I hear about how Baltimore is a fine place to live:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/bs-md-ci-cr-20190720-spdzol7pyzft3evewhta6f6l4i-story.html

Seems they greeted the new Police commissioner by robbing him.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2019, 09:41:45 AM »
Where did it go?

An aide to President Trump said that the Baltimore region has squandered billions of dollars in federal grants given by the administration.

‘President Trump has given $16billion in 2018 alone to Elijah Cummings’ district in federal grants,’ Lynne Patton, a regional administrator with the Department of Housing and Urban Development, told Fox News on Monday.

‘We have given more money in homeless funds to Baltimore than the last administration’ as well as ‘community development grants,’ according to Patton.

'President gave $16B in 2018 ALONE to Elijah Cummings's district in federal grants': Donald Trump's aide Lynne Patton asks what Baltimore has done with its financial help as POTUS' row with 'rat-infested' city escalates
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7299907/Donald-Trumps-aide-Lynne-Patton-asks-Baltimore-financial-help.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2019, 10:00:49 AM »
President Trump has given $16billion in 2018 alone to Elijah Cummings’ district in federal grants

Not a fan of this angle
  • They make it sound like this was a gift personally bestowed upon them by the generous president himself  ;/
  • Do they honestly not know what they did with these grants? I would hope they have some accountability :mad:
  • They probably shouldn't get all that $$$, but the reason is because it's big government taking from me to give to them. The fact that their representative supports or opposes the president shouldn't have anything to do with it - that's just swampy earmark type politics =(
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.