Author Topic: Bible readers! Need your input.  (Read 1257 times)

dogmush

• friend
Bible readers! Need your input.
« on: August 02, 2019, 09:26:43 PM »
Please read this:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/50141/gun-shop-billboard-mocking-squad-sparks-outrage-james-barrett?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=benshapiro

BLUF: A gun store in NC put up a billboard comparing "The Squad" to the Four Horsemen. Cue outrage and crys of "Racism" and "inciting gun violence"

My question for you folks is: It's been a while since I read revelations, but I recall the horsemen DO some violence, but I don't recall any violence being visited on them. Moreover, in the Bible, I don't even recall much past their entrance. (More modern retellings of the characters can get more complicated )  without rereading the entire revelation,  is there discussion of the horsemen in the description of the battle? If so, are they fought against?   I've always imagined them more as embodying their namesake traits. How would one fight against  "Pestulance "? That'd be like declaring war on a nebulous ideology.

So if there is no violence being visited on them, and none even really attempted,  how can comparing someone to the figure be inciting violence?

(I am pleased to see that women have finally broken through the gender barrier around "legendary embodiment of unstoppable destruction. "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his their name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. them.")

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Bible readers! Need your input.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 09:44:39 PM »
Conquest, War, Famine, and Death.  (Conquest seems to have morphed into Pestilence or Disease, but I don't know if that's in church teachings or just popular culture)  And I don't recall anything particularly happening to them; they happened, each one killing a rather large percent of the earth's population.

Conquest (white horse, and carried a bow) was given a crown.  War (red horse), a sword.  And Famine (black) received a set of scales.  I don't remember Death (the pale horse) getting anything.  I think that was their order of appearance.  HTH

There's nothing particularly racist or inciting violence that I can think of about calling them the 4 Horse-ladies of the Apocalypse.  It's not a very flattering term, so maybe that makes it racist?

Conquest and War seems kinda redundant, maybe Conquest represents slavery or subjugation?
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 09:59:06 PM »
From Ch. 6.   Now I watched when the Lamb opened one of the seven seals, and I heard one of the four living creatures say with a voice like thunder, “Come!” And I looked, and behold, a white horse! And its rider had a bow, and a crown was given to him, and he came out conquering, and to conquer.

When he opened the second seal, I heard the second living creature say, “Come!” And out came another horse, bright red. Its rider was permitted to take peace from the earth, so that people should slay one another, and he was given a great sword.

When he opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, “Come!” And I looked, and behold, a black horse! And its rider had a pair of scales in his hand. And I heard what seemed to be a voice in the midst of the four living creatures, saying, “A quart of wheat for a denarius, and three quarts of barley for a denarius, and do not harm the oil and wine!”

When he opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature say, “Come!” And I looked, and behold, a pale horse! And its rider's name was Death, and Hades followed him. And they were given authority over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with pestilence and by wild beasts of the earth.

I don't recall them showing up again in the apocalypse.  (Except maybe here: "Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war.")   Other horsemen yes.  I'll be back to re-reading it in a few months.

I suspect John is using images from the OT prophet Zechariah's night visions.    There, they're agents of God in the world.

So if there is no violence being visited on them, and none even really attempted,  how can comparing someone to the figure be inciting violence?

Sloppy Bible reading?  Quelle Surprise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5dYxX-PNno
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 10:19:40 PM »
Maybe this is what starts the end of the world, the Four Horsemen are upset at who they are being compared to.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 12:43:06 AM »
They are just proving that the billboard is 100 percent correct -- they ARE idiots.

As reported by The Washington Post, the shop's billboard and posts have been condemned by critics, including Rep. Tlaib, who accused the shop of "inciting violence."

"How the hell is this not inciting violence?" wrote Tlaib in response to a post by the group Muslim Advocates, which states: "A billboard is up in NC that is *encouraging gun violence* against @IlhanMN @AOC @RashidaTlaib & @AyannaPressley. Take action & tell the companies supporting this that IT NEEDS TO COME DOWN."

Easy -- it's not inciting violence because it says nothing about violence, and implies nothing about violence. It says you're an idiot, and you just proved it.

Rep. Pressley has also responded, tweeting a message directed at North Carolina Republican Rep. Mark Meadows calling on him to "do the right thing" to protect her and her fellow "vulnerable" congresswomen.

"#Racist rhetoric from the occupant of the @WhiteHouse has made hate our new normal. We are still vulnerable," wrote Pressley. "[Rep. Mark Meadows] – Cherokee Guns is in your district & you and I serve on a committee together. Here’s your chance to finally do the right thing."

??? What's "the right thing"? Violate the store owner's first amendment right to express an opinion about elected officials? What's racist about calling out twits as idiots? Idiocy knows no bounds -- there are idiots of all races, and there's nothing racist about calling an idiot an idiot.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 07:31:01 AM »
Silly men.

Anything other than mindless slavering deification of the squad is you being a racy mcracy whitey violencemonger.

Thus has spoken the liberal media and so it shall be.

Now pay your reparations like a good little slavemonger and never vote again because that's white privilege.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 11:47:16 AM »
Silly men.

Anything other than mindless slavering deification of the squad is you being a racy mcracy whitey violencemonger.

Thus has spoken the liberal media and so it shall be.

Now pay your reparations like a good little slavemonger and never vote again because that's white privilege.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thank you for reminding me yet again that my rightful place in the hierarchy of society is at the bottom of the dung heap.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 04:37:58 PM »

So if there is no violence being visited on them, and none even really attempted,  how can comparing someone to the figure be inciting violence?

Because that's just something they say for effect.  Nothing that has real meaning.

Help help I'm being repressed!
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 08:42:54 PM »
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 05:45:00 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 08:53:04 PM »
I'm beginning to suspect their only knowledge of the Horsemen comes from reruns of Supernatural.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 09:38:16 PM »
Once you realize that anything us Righty-whiteys say about race, or about a "diverse" person, will be interpreted as racist and hateful, you stop asking silly questions like, "How was it racist or hateful for that guy to say that?"

The content of the speech does. not. matter. It's bad if they say it's bad.

But to answer the question, the objection is perfectly senseless. Good luck using violence against the four horsemen.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 09:52:45 PM »
Football fans! Need your input.

What kind of racially-motivated violence was visited upon those Notre Dame guys?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 11:25:09 PM »
Football fans! Need your input.

What kind of racially-motivated violence was visited upon those Notre Dame guys?

Probably arson ..... [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2019, 09:04:44 AM »
The 4 Horsepersons of the apocalypse in the Bible are bad.

Calling the squad bad is racist.

The left doesn't deal in reason or facts, they deal in emotion and symbols.

More progressive attempts at word magic (ie saying it makes it so).

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.