Author Topic: Your vehicle is spying on you  (Read 519 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Your vehicle is spying on you
« on: March 15, 2024, 09:17:13 AM »
https://hotair.com/david-strom/2024/03/15/yes-your-car-is-spying-on-you-and-the-data-is-being-sold-n3784724

A couple years ago our insurance company offered a discount if we allowed them to track us. We installed a thingy in the OBD port. It resulted in a discount on our policy because we are pretty local and pretty mundane drivers. The Jeep doesn’t get driven much and my wife drives the car like an old lady. After a couple months we were told they were deactivated and we could toss them.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Your vehicle is spying on you
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 09:29:19 AM »
Meanwhile your phone........
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 09:48:00 AM »
Over at my place, Siri and Alexa are having an argument while Cortana isn't talking to anyone. (If these three ever get together, we're all in trouble.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2024, 09:55:41 AM »
If you have any doubt your phone is tracking you just look at the J6 arrests.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 10:15:56 AM »
And credit cards.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2024, 10:35:18 AM »
And your toaster and microwave are laughing at you. What else is new?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2024, 10:38:29 AM »
And your toaster and microwave are laughing at you. What else is new?

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2024, 10:41:58 AM »
And BTW K Frame, your washer says you're not buying environmentally friendly detergent.
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2024, 10:52:42 AM »

Anyone carrying their cell phone to anything political (that's to the right of Mao) is a moron.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2024, 10:55:38 AM »
And BTW K Frame, your washer says you're not buying environmentally friendly detergent.

My washing machine was made in 1991. Completely mechanical. No memory at all. It's no narc.

And, because it's so old, it probably uses 10 times the amount of water that's now allowable by EPA.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2024, 11:10:27 AM »
My washing machine was made in 1991. Completely mechanical. No memory at all. It's no narc.

And, because it's so old, it probably uses 10 times the amount of water that's now allowable by EPA.
And it probably gets your clothes clean in 1 washing.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2024, 11:25:21 AM »

So you're saying it actually washes your clothes ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2024, 12:37:02 PM »
So you're saying it actually washes your clothes ...

I'M SAYING IT'S A FREEDOM MACHINE! 'MURICA!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2024, 12:37:42 PM »

You can get around that if you buy a speed queen “commercial” washer.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2024, 12:46:32 PM »
"You can get around that if you buy a speed queen “commercial” washer. "

Castle Key has Speed Queen commercial washer and dryer.

They're computerized now.

And he's had a bunch of problems with the supposedly bullet proof Speed Queen washer.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2024, 12:47:38 PM »
You can get around that if you buy a speed queen “commercial” washer.

Also the Maytag commercial washer. I bought the Maytag commercial washer/dryer set at the local appliance store when I moved in here. A real ten year guarantee, and they are made "like they used to make them" as it were. Cheaper than the fancy electronic stuff as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2024, 08:54:07 PM »
Our newer Amana has a couple Auto Sense water settings along with a Deep Water & Deep Water with Extra Rinse settings.  Even my yard work clothes come out clean the first time through.

Back to the OP, the local news, both TV & radio, have been doing segments on how specific makes of cars have been reporting to the manufacturers on your driving habits.  Maybe, with enough push back, this could be stopped.  That's not the way I'd bet on it though.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2024, 09:05:02 PM »
Back to the OP, the local news, both TV & radio, have been doing segments on how specific makes of cars have been reporting to the manufacturers on your driving habits.  Maybe, with enough push back, this could be stopped.  That's not the way I'd bet on it though.

They should watch a few Just Rolled In videos.
No wait, probably better they don't
- Calvin and Hobbes

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2024, 09:15:41 PM »
For anyone interested in the subject of digital surveillance, I highly recommend the book Means of Control by Byron Tau.  The volume and variety of digital signals associated with each of our lives is greater than most understand, “anonymizing” data is a myth, and almost anyone can buy the data, including government agencies that traditionally would have been required to get a warrant for surveillance.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2024, 11:11:50 PM »
This just popped up in my YooToob feed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK_QuA6aR0k
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2024, 06:27:36 PM »
Just learned at work the other day that on newer cars (the ones with touch screens)  satellite radio is able to track the vehicle's location just like OnStar and the other services.  And they will share that info with law enforcement at the request of the vehicle owner/account holder.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2024, 06:53:40 AM »
Once a month Google sends me an overview of my trips in my car. Maps keeps track of that *expletive deleted*it.

Pretty boring, overall, given that I really don't wander far.

But it makes me wonder who Google is sharing that information with.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2024, 07:27:50 AM »
Just learned at work the other day that on newer cars (the ones with touch screens)  satellite radio is able to track the vehicle's location just like OnStar and the other services.  And they will share that info with law enforcement at the request of the vehicle owner/account holder.

The book I mentioned above says that even the tire pressure monitoring system in each of your car's tires broadcasts its location with a unique identifier.  Researchers have been able to capture those signals as cars drive by.  It may not be that useful in isolation, but it's additional evidence of your pattern of life.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2024, 10:53:35 AM »
If you think all of this is bad, wait until the 2026 model year cars roll out. Due to a clause in a stimulus package, they’re all required to have a drunk driving prevention mechanism. Includes cameras, and an ability to disable the vehicle if it decides you aren’t driving safely.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2024, 11:07:30 AM »
If you think all of this is bad, wait until the 2026 model year cars roll out. Due to a clause in a stimulus package, they’re all required to have a drunk driving prevention mechanism. Includes cameras, and an ability to disable the vehicle if it decides you aren’t driving safely.

We had a thread on that around here somewhere and IIRC it called for research on a system by 2026 and not an actual requirement they be installed by then.
- Calvin and Hobbes