Author Topic: Best carrier to ship ammo  (Read 305 times)

JTHunter

• friends
Best carrier to ship ammo
« on: March 15, 2024, 02:23:29 PM »
I am trying to send a friend in TX my Mossberg 12 ga. pump and, in a separate box, the assorted choke tubes and some steel shotshells.  The box for the tubes and shells is about 5" x 6" x 10" so it isn't too big or heavy.
What I need to know is HOW to ship it to him and the best carrier to use.
I have never shipped ammunition anywhere before and don't know how, or with whom, to proceed.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Best carrier to ship ammo
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 03:31:01 PM »
If UPS don't go to a UPS store but rather go to UPS directly. The stores which are actually a franchise often have their own rules and will tell you can't. Some have found that out shipping guns and gun parts.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2024, 03:32:57 PM »
Pretty certain you legally cannot send your long gun through the mail or a private carrier to a party that isn't an FFL.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 03:37:49 PM »
Pretty certain you legally cannot send your long gun through the mail or a private carrier to a party that isn't an FFL.

Yeeees. It must be going to an FFL and/or the manufacturer for service.
UPS stores are notorious for telling you can't while UPS proper will gladly ship it. The stores often have their own rules and/or staffed with employees who think anything to do with guns is icky. 
Just saying be aware they may refuse.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 03:55:26 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2024, 03:46:14 PM »
USPS is the way to ship a long gun. Much cheaper. Send it registered and it gets signed for at every stop. You do not need to be licensed to ship a long gun USPS. You may (will) need a copy of the FFL it is going to be sent to though.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

Registered mail is usually cheaper than common carrier. You may need special (paper) tape to seal package with. Check with you local PO for the rules with registered mail. This applies to long guns only, you as a non-licensee cannot use the USPS to ship a pistol.

bob

eta: Mail the gun and choke tubes by USPS, give away the shot shells. ;)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2024, 03:46:35 PM »
When I shipped ammo I went directly to the fed-ex or UPS distro center. Has to be ORM-D. Usually not worth the hassle.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2024, 03:54:17 PM »
When I shipped ammo I went directly to the fed-ex or UPS distro center. Has to be ORM-D. Usually not worth the hassle.

ORM-D has gone away, now it is a Limited Quantity Hazardous label I believe. I am sure it is still a hassle if the staff doesn't know the rules, which happens more often than not IMO.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2024, 04:28:43 PM »
Also, I would definitely go to the UPS website and use their cost calculator. Shipping has gone up ridiculously of late. The shipping might end up being more than the ammo is worth.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2024, 04:35:09 PM »
USS Nimitz
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2024, 10:09:29 PM »
Also, I would definitely go to the UPS website and use their cost calculator. Shipping has gone up ridiculously of late. The shipping might end up being more than the ammo is worth.

That is what I was afraid I would hear.
Thanks for all your information.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2024, 12:13:01 AM »
Are the steel shotshells loaded ammunition, or empty hulls?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2024, 03:44:01 PM »
Are the steel shotshells loaded ammunition, or empty hulls?

Loaded.
Two 10-rd boxes of 3" "turkey load" ("T"), one partial (~21 rds.) of 3" "F" shot, all the rest are 25 round boxes, 3", never used.  One box of BBB. 2 of BB, and 1 each of #2, #4, & #6 shot.
The BB & BBB are listed as "goose" loads, the #2 & #4 are listed as "Pass" loads for ducks, and the #6 as "Decoy" for ducks.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2024, 04:59:40 PM »
If you can't find the info online, you might or stop by the UPS or Fedex depot and ask about shipping ammo.  You might have to get the right person who won't tell you they can't. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2024, 11:34:28 PM »
A few years ago I shipped a couple boxes of ammo via UPS.  Biggest problem was getting to their shipping office - as said above it can't be one of their retail stores - which is about 50mi from here.  Back then I had to put (IIRC) DRMO on the outside of the box (cut the symbol off a cardboard case of ammo & taped it on the box), handed them less than $20* and off it went.  No problems, no even a raised eyebrow.

*That was for about 30 rifle rounds and a few years of inflation ago.  Your price will vary.